HELP me find a amp for Hifiman HE-400i
Feb 25, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #16 of 58

I always thought the O2's THD profile was biased towards higher order harmonics, making them harsh without necessarily being non-neutral.  This was exacerbated because the HE400i isn't the smoothest headphone out there.  

Okay then what would the best amp dac combo be for me when I like good high and solid bass, to maybe give you a better idea of what sound I like I am using a pair of AKG K612 pro and I like how balanced they are.

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #17 of 58
  Okay then what would the best amp dac combo be for me when I like good high and solid bass, to maybe give you a better idea of what sound I like I am using a pair of AKG K612 pro and I like how balanced they are.

how loud do you listen?

(edit: also don't overestimate how much an amp is going to change the HE400i's frequency response, its flat impedance curve means that unless the amp is straight up colored, it's going to have the same frequency response on most any decent amp)

If you want the HE400i to be dead neutral, I would just use EQ instead of trying to find a $300 DAC/amp to do it:

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #18 of 58

how loud do you listen?

(edit: also don't overestimate how much an amp is going to change the HE400i's frequency response, its flat impedance curve means that unless the amp is straight up colored, it's going to have the same frequency response on most any decent amp)

Well I would say around the 50-60 db or so since I have really sensitive hearing

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #19 of 58
  Well I would say around the 50-60 db or so since I have really sensitive hearing

Then yeah, just get the Schiit Fulla then.  Save your money until you can/want to go all-in.  

(also see the edited post above about EQ adjustments if you're after neutrality with the HE400i).

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #21 of 58
  What is all in, when we talk price?

There's the first tier of things like the Fulla, DACPort slim, etc.  ~$100 USB bus powered DAC/amp combos.  Typically their biggest problems are lack of power to drive hard to drive cans and can have issues with noisy USB ports.  They also tend to have synchronous DAC clocks, which can have issues with jitter if your computer's clock isn't the greatest.

Then there's the $200-300 range.  These tend to be fairly similar to the $100 range combos, but have more power.  May have slightly better DAC chips.  Here lies the O2/ODAC, Modni/magni, etc

Then there's the $500-ish range, things like the m9XX, Chord Mojo, iFi IDSD, etc.  Typically this range gets you a decent amount of power, ability to play ultra high sample rate music and DSD, a great DAC, USB isolation, asynchronus clocking, beefed up power supplies, etc.  They may lack the highest end of pure power for very hard to drive headphones, and you typically won't be able to run a balanced configuration.

Then in the $1000+ range you're usually looking at a separate AMP + DAC,  a similar DAC to the $500 range, a bit more power still, better build quality. Also you're still probably not going to be able to go balanced at this level.

Obviously things take off even further after that, but the features and similarities tend to be too multiple to really very easily sum up.

IMHO, the $200-300 and $1000-2000 tiers are kind of unnecessary for the HE400i, as the extra power that range tends to bring isn't really needed unless you play it *very* loud.  I think with the HE400i, the first thing you need is a decent DAC, with somewhat low output impedance, and a moderate amount of power.  Then the next big jump forward will come in the $500 range, with cleaner power supplies, class A amps and a better DAC.  The final piece for the HE400i then probably comes when you can build a fully balanced setup for it in the $2000+ range.  At minimum this is something like the Schiit GuMBy (1249) + Cavalli Liquid Carbon ($599 if you can find one) + balanced cable ($100).  

The biggest benefit of the Fulla is that it gets the DAC away from the noisy internals of your computer and will lower the output impedance, giving a bit better damping than your average computer motherboard.  The O2/ODAC would add more power that you don't really need, plus the aforementioned "digital harshness" of its THD profile. Until you are ready to truly upgrade the DAC and get into a class type design in the $500 range, I'd just stick to the simplest combo DAC/amp that will get the sound out of your computer.

Feb 25, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #22 of 58
  Is it really worth paying two times as much for a Asgard 2 vs getting the O2 and ODAC for half the price of the Asgard 2?

Is it really two times as much?  That seems like a lot.   I got my Asgard 2 (b-stock) for $209 (+10 shipping).  I did not research it, but did not think the 02 Amp and O2 dac could be had for $100.  If so that is a good price.   I would bet dollars to donuts the Asgard sounds better but I have not heard the O2 products.  Just a suggestion to consider. 

Feb 25, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #23 of 58

Is it really two times as much?  That seems like a lot.   I got my Asgard 2 (b-stock) for $209 (+10 shipping).  I did not research it, but did not think the 02 Amp and O2 dac could be had for $100.  If so that is a good price.   I would bet dollars to donuts the Asgard sounds better but I have not heard the O2 products.  Just a suggestion to consider. 

I think he meant DAC + Asgard2

Feb 25, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #24 of 58

The asgard cost 270€ in EU, I can get the ODAC O2 combo used for 130$

I think he meant DAC + Asgard2

Well I dont need a dac since my onboard can do 192 kHz/ 24 -bit and I don't have any noise at all (this is what you get when you buy a good motherboard)

Feb 25, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #25 of 58
  The asgard cost 270€ in EU, I can get the ODAC O2 combo used for 130$
Well I dont need a dac since my onboard can do 192 kHz/ 24 -bit and I don't have any noise at all (this is what you get when you buy a good motherboard)

If you're fine with your built in DAC, then you can maybe go for something like a Gustard H10.  

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gustard-h10

That's probably the best possible non-balanced amp for the HE400i.

edit: even with good built in sound cards that don't have noise issues, I still think you get improvement with a dedicated DAC that has its own power supply and asynchronus clock, but you're already going to spend ~$500 to get that anyway.  Going with the H10 will set you up well if you decide to upgrade the DAC later down the line.

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #27 of 58

If you're fine with your built in DAC, then you can maybe go for something like a Gustard H10.  

edit: even with good built in sound cards that don't have noise issues, I still think you get improvement with a dedicated DAC that has its own power supply and asynchronus clock, but you're already going to spend ~$500 to get that anyway.  Going with the H10 will set you up well if you decide to upgrade the DAC later down the line.

Well since I live in Denmark I have to pay tax on everything that is over 12$ so that amp will cost me 400-450$ after tax...

Hybrids sound REALLY good with the 400i imo. Maybe get a schiit modi2+vali2.

I have never tried a tube amp, but I have heard that it makes the music more warm sounding and I don't really want a warmer sound then what the HE 400i already has.

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #28 of 58

I cant get it since I live in EU and it will end up costing 400-450€
Hybrids sound REALLY good with the 400i imo. Maybe get a schiit modi2+vali2.

I have heard that tube amps makes the sound warmer and I am not really looking to make the HE 400i warmer.

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #29 of 58
I cant get the gustard amp since I live in EU and there will come tax on it so it will end up in the 400-450 price range

I have heard that tube amps makes the sound warmer and I am not really looking to make the sound warmer.

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #30 of 58
  I cant get the gustard amp since I live in EU and there will come tax on it so it will end up in the 400-450 price range

I have heard that tube amps makes the sound warmer and I am not really looking to make the sound warmer.

Tube amplifiers can make the sound warmer - not all tube amplifiers do. I have heard the Vali 2 and Valhalla 2, and they are not designed warm.
I agree with the above that Vali 2 sounds quite good with the HE-400i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back