Help me figure out why I prefer my DT770s over my DT880s
Dec 20, 2016 at 10:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

DCofficehack

100+ Head-Fier
I spend many hour each day with both my Beyerdynamic DT770s and my DT880s. The closed DT770s are for the office; the open 880s are for home. (FYI the 770s are 32 Ohms run straight off my MacBook Pro, the 880s are 600 Ohms, run via a Schiit Magni 2. Same Macintosh. Same music.

It turns out that I prefer listening to the 770s, and I'm trying to figure out what lessons I should draw regarding the sound I like and the kind of cans I prefer. Mainly, I find the 770s are more engaging, and I sense that with the 880s I have to turn up the volume to be similarly engaged and also to appreciate a lot of what it can do. I oddly sense that the 880s are better, but I have to turn it up more than I should, and that I like the 770s more anyway.

One theory is that it's the sound signature, but it's not clear to me what the difference is. I think the 880s are more flat...does this mean I like a V?  Also, the clamp on the 770s is better. I bought the 880s used and they are loose. All this adds up to better sound isolation and a feeling of more direct sound, while the 880s sound more distant. Last night I was experimenting with holding the drivers closer to my ears. Not sure it made a difference.

Might my 880s simply need a more powerful amp?

Thoughts?

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 16
When you have the Magni 2 plugged into the mac, do you have the Mac's volume control maxed out?

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #3 of 16
DT770 are fully closed and not as airy, they're more immediate sounding. Even though they have pretty nice soundstage for a closed model. And there's the bigger bass too - nothing wrong with liking some more oomph to the lows. Enjoy your DT770s!

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #5 of 16
  When you have the Magni 2 plugged into the mac, do you have the Mac's volume control maxed out?

Usually, yes, when I remember to. I don't think that's a factor.
  DT770 are fully closed and not as airy, they're more immediate sounding. Even though they have pretty nice soundstage for a closed model. And there's the bigger bass too - nothing wrong with liking some more oomph to the lows. Enjoy your DT770s!

Maybe that's it. The immediacy.

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #7 of 16
  What would happen if I replaced the DT880/600 ohms with a DT880/250? Would I notice a difference? What would that difference be?

I like the sound of my DT880 Premium 600-Ohm slightly better then my DT880 Pro 250-Ohm.

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #8 of 16
  I spend many hour each day with both my Beyerdynamic DT770s and my DT880s. The closed DT770s are for the office; the open 880s are for home. (FYI the 770s are 32 Ohms run straight off my MacBook Pro, the 880s are 600 Ohms, run via a Schiit Magni 2. Same Macintosh. Same music.
It turns out that I prefer listening to the 770s, and I'm trying to figure out what lessons I should draw regarding the sound I like and the kind of cans I prefer. Mainly, I find the 770s are more engaging, and I sense that with the 880s I have to turn up the volume to be similarly engaged and also to appreciate a lot of what it can do. I oddly sense that the 880s are better, but I have to turn it up more than I should, and that I like the 770s more anyway.
One theory is that it's the sound signature, but it's not clear to me what the difference is. I think the 880s are more flat...does this mean I like a V?  Also, the clamp on the 770s is better. I bought the 880s used and they are loose. All this adds up to better sound isolation and a feeling of more direct sound, while the 880s sound more distant. Last night I was experimenting with holding the drivers closer to my ears. Not sure it made a difference.
Might my 880s simply need a more powerful amp?

I'm guessing the DT770 32-Ohm version is a newer design, then the DT880 600-Ohm.
So Beyerdynamic might have added some design tweaks to the 32-Ohm DT770 and left the DT880 600-Ohm as is? 

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #9 of 16

I'm guessing the DT770 32-Ohm version is a newer design, then the DT880 600-Ohm.
So Beyerdynamic might have added some design tweaks to the 32-Ohm DT770 and left the DT880 600-Ohm as is? 

No idea. The 32-ohm model is a late addition to the DT770 stable, but I don't know what was changed.

I truly love them. I like but don't love my 880s. If i turn the 880s up and I pay attention, I like what I hear, and I can hear more things than with the 770s. More detail, mainly. Lots of lovely detail. Somehow the 770s are more satisfying, though, and require less focus on my part.

Or, paradoxically, perhaps what makes me raise the volume on the 880s is all the detail? There's more to hear, so I want to sit up closer the way one might want to look more closely at something that has more to see. More small detail.

Perhaps related: I've developed a sensitivity in my left ear. It hurts if I listen too much. I think the DT880s affect my ear more--something about the brightness or the volume, which is why I've begun paying attention to how I use the DT880s and my inclination to turn it up. 

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #10 of 16
  No idea. The 32-ohm model is a late addition to the DT770 stable, but I don't know what was changed.

I truly love them. I like but don't love my 880s. If i turn the 880s up and I pay attention, I like what I hear, and I can hear more things than with the 770s. More detail, mainly. Lots of lovely detail. Somehow the 770s are more satisfying, though, and require less focus on my part.

Or, paradoxically, perhaps what makes me raise the volume on the 880s is all the detail? There's more to hear, so I want to sit up closer the way one might want to look more closely at something that has more to see. More small detail.

Perhaps related: I've developed a sensitivity in my left ear. It hurts if I listen too much. I think the DT880s affect my ear more--something about the brightness or the volume, which is why I've begun paying attention to how I use the DT880s and my inclination to turn it up. 

The DT880s are considered to have a slightly bright sound.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #11 of 16

The DT880s are considered to have a slightly bright sound.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

That's right. One reason why I've been thinking about this is that I've been considering giving the HD600s a try because they're considered less bright and generally neutral. Possibly easier on my ears. On the other hand, if I'm so keen on the 770s, perhaps neutral isn't my cup of tea. Maybe I should give, say, the Fidelio X2s a try. Hard to know without trying. And spending money!

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #12 of 16
  That's right. One reason why I've been thinking about this is that I've been considering giving the HD600s a try because they're considered less bright and generally neutral. Possibly easier on my ears. On the other hand, if I'm so keen on the 770s, perhaps neutral isn't my cup of tea. Maybe I should give, say, the Fidelio X2s a try. Hard to know without trying. And spending money!

Why not just get a carrying case for the DT770 and use them at home and office?

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #13 of 16

Why not just get a carrying case for the DT770 and use them at home and office?

That's a nuisance. And they're bulky. Besides, the DT880s are supposed to be better and I was looking for an opportunity to step up, or at least sample open-backed goodness. Generally open is supposed to be better than closed, or at least that's what one reads. Also, I need open cans for home. I need to be able to hear stuff. The DT770s have terrific noise isolation, so much so that I don't really see why people bother with actual noise cancellation tech when they can get the DT770s. 

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #14 of 16
  That's a nuisance. And they're bulky. Besides, the DT880s are supposed to be better and I was looking for an opportunity to step up, or at least sample open-backed goodness. Generally open is supposed to be better than closed, or at least that's what one reads. Also, I need open cans for home. I need to be able to hear stuff. The DT770s have terrific noise isolation, so much so that I don't really see why people bother with actual noise cancellation tech when they can get the DT770s. 

Soundmagic HP200 semi-open headphones might be a better choice over the DT880.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back