Help me figure out my next DAC
Oct 18, 2006 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

rumatt

100+ Head-Fier
As I posted in this long rambling thread, I currently have the Bel Canto DAC2, and the Scott Nixon USB Chibi.

I find the Bel Canto to be a bit too too dry, airy, and breathy for my taste. This seems strange since it has a rep for being a warm dac. Then again, it is consistent with the description of oversampling DAC's.

I think the Chibi is great, but a bit more recessed and lacking detail compared to the DAC2. At this point, I'd pick the Chibi over the Bel Canto though.

Is there a middle ground somewhere? Can anyone recommend another DAC to try? Which way would tubes move me along this spectrum?

I've also been thinking of the Stello DA100 for a while now, but I have a feeling it will sound just like the Bel Canto (or worse). Then again, it has an oversampling switch so I guess I could disable it, although that seems somewhat silly.

Oct 18, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt
Then again, it has an oversampling switch so I guess I could disable it, although that seems somewhat silly.

Thats not silly... I never use upsampling. It has a switch for a reason
wink.gif

I much prefer the DA10 and DA100 over the Bel Canto.

Oct 18, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
Thats not silly... I never use upsampling. It has a switch for a reason
wink.gif

I much prefer the DA10 and DA100 over the Bel Canto.

Thanks for chiming in.

Are you able to characterize how they were different?

Oct 18, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 16
I like smooth and warm characteristics. The DA100 and DA10 both exhibit that. The Belcanto is a nice dac for the price but just simply is not warm and smooth. Also, the Belcanto does not have the bass the other two do.

Oct 18, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #6 of 16
Thanks.

I'm currently leaning toward a MHdt Labs Constantine or Parasidea. Anyone have thoughts on which of these might be the right choice for me? I know the Constantine is lightly more detailed, and the Parasidea has more bass, but I don't know where they'd fit in between my current references.

Oct 23, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #9 of 16
Caveat: never actually heard it, only read about it.

Possibility: CI Audio VDA-2.....

Could be that nice balance of smoothness and detail you're looking for.

Oct 24, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Thanks.

I'm currently leaning toward a MHdt Labs Constantine or Parasidea. Anyone have thoughts on which of these might be the right choice for me? I know the Constantine is lightly more detailed, and the Parasidea has more bass, but I don't know where they'd fit in between my current references.

I plan to get the Parasidea myself when I get the funds. I must admit that I'm a tube head. Good luck on your search for a DAC.
Do!

Oct 24, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise
Possibility: CI Audio VDA-2.....

Huh. I hadn't considered that one. I'll take a look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do
I plan to get the Parasidea myself when I get the funds. I must admit that I'm a tube head. Good luck on your search for a DAC.
Do!

I really can't decide whether to try the Paradisea or the Constantine. I get the impression the Paradisea is the better quality unit overall, but would it have more detail than the Chibi? The enjoythemusic review suggested the constantine has more detail.

Damn, I need to try both. If I could find them used I would do it, but there are none to be found. I guess that's a good sign though!

Oct 27, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do
Ask the seller if you can purchase both and return the one you don't like.

I sent them an email a while ago asking if they could add a USB on the Paradisea, similar to the Constantine. In ever got a response, so I didn't bother sending another.

I was going to bid on the Paradisea that sold today, but I was late and missed out.
mad.gif
Time to sign up for a sniping service, or just use the buy-it-now.

I did, however, order a Stello DA100. I'll post my impressions compared to the above DACs when it arrives.

Oct 27, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

I sent them an email a while ago asking if they could add a USB on the Paradisea, similar to the Constantine. In ever got a response, so I didn't bother sending another.

I was going to bid on the Paradisea that sold today, but I was late and missed out.
mad.gif
Time to sign up for a sniping service, or just use the buy-it-now.

I did, however, order a Stello DA100. I'll post my impressions compared to the above DACs when it arrives.

where did you order your stello from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back