Help me enjoy these cans!
Jan 11, 2008 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PieRat

100+ Head-Fier
Alright I need advice on my Denon 1000k's / 1001's. I have been going thru my plethora of music genres trying to find the sweet spot/synergy that these phones work best with.

The problem I am finding is that no matter which type of music I listen to that the bass sounds fluttery, or wobbly. I have been comparing them with my SR-80's, ES-7's, and PX-100's.

I had mainly wanted to use these at my office because the comfort on these phones is beyond belief as many others have said before.

I can't really blame the sources I use on the go, home, or at office as no matter which source I use (home rack system, ipod line out + amp, or shelf system) it is the same. The bass is there; just it seems to be missing some definition, or tightness. It is like the bass hits then just kind of muddles in the music. Where as when using same setups with the other headphones the bass has signature, and definition.

This is not a compare this set of phones to that set post, just wanting to know from others if this is what they experience with that model Denon.

Just wondering with longer burn in the bass tightens up some more. I have only put maybe 12-16 hours max on the Denons so far.

Mar 31, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 9
I noticed the bass tightened up some after burn in and with even just a FiiO E5. However, the bass can be a bit bloated on them. But you're just not going to get something with the bass impact of the D1001's and perfect crispness in the bass regions for $100.

Mar 31, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 9
I know people have dynomatted the d1001 before and a lot of people have recabled. Supposedly the recable helps, but I've never seen the results of the dynomat.

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 9
Ah I forgot about this post!

I will update my experiance on these headphones...

I used blue tak, well the yellow version to be more specific (I think it was 3M, or Elmers) and coated the inside of the driver housing. Now I do not know if it was that, or longer burn-in, or a combination of both, but the bass has tightend up a bit.
smily_headphones1.gif

There are still some songs (a few off Loreena Mckennitt's Book of Secrets album for example) that the bass still flutters in. I do not experience this with any of my other current headphones. The only other headphone that I experience weird sounds with is the KSC 75's. On a lot of songs either some instruments, or vocals almost has a distant sound of like being played through a fan. Like when you were younger and talked into a fan to make that weird alien like voice. Anyway I am getting off on a tangent like I have a tendency to do sometimes. Anyway enough on the Koss...

I do enjoy these headphones. I use them mainly at home when I cannot use my Grados, and use my other headphones at work. So I can say something changed for the better with the Denons. Not sure it was dampening the enclosures, or burn in.

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 9
I own both the D1001s and SR80s, and I can say that the contrast is pretty strong between these two cans. SR80s have more present mids and lower (but still punchy somehow) bass. A little bit of burn-in helps the D1001s quite a bit, both in taming the highs/lows (both needed work out of the blister pack, I found) and making the mids a bit less recessed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back