Help me discover creative electronic music
Aug 9, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #16 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdennis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a Lee Perry album around here somewhere that I've always dug. Anyone doing crazy-ass brain melting dub these days?

Ah, didnt see this question first time around. Not sure if this stuff is your cup but try Yagya-Will I Dream During The Process. Its truly incredible ambient dub and one of my favourite albums. Another type of electronic dub and very good is a release by Deepchord called The Coldest Season.

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #17 of 49
If you want crazy rhythmic electronica, check out Venetian Snares and Xanopticon. For something similarly complex but not so menacing and busy, check out Jason Corder's Off The Sky project.

For some shimmering, mind-bogglingly complex and beautiful ambient electronica, check out Matt Hillier's entire catalog, especially Ishq - Orchid, Colourform - Visions of Surya, Elve - Infinite Garden and Ishvara - Magik Square of the Sun.

Aug 9, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #18 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BT
kraftwerk
jean michelle jarre
FSOL
whitehouse
underworld?
leftfield?
moby? - ambient LP

Whitehouse, huh? They look out of place with Moby and Leftfield, but I guess so.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by demoNMaCHiN3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really crazy twisted stuff?

Aphex Twin, nuff said.

Also check out autechre and boards of canada for some really creative stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

I just listened to Geogaddi once and Music Has The Right To Children twice yesterday. Brilliant albums, my first time listening to BoC. Aphex Twin, simply amazing. Drukqs and Richard D James are also brilliant. I have Classics but I haven't listened to it yet.

Aug 9, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spy_Hill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whitehouse, huh? They look out of place with Moby and Leftfield, but I guess so.
very_evil_smiley.gif

x2 - but the op did mention these words: "Really crazy twisted stuff"
devil_face.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #21 of 49
If you're into Jazz, I would start at the "Verve Remixed" albums. Those should give you some good ideas of artists that would interest you. There's a long list of electronic artists that skew towards the Jazz end of the spectrum, and Verve Remixed should be a good introduction.

The Field- Interesting artist(s?) that fall somewhere between trance and ambient

M83- Depending on the album, anywhere from 80's synth pop (saturdays=youth) to post-rock. Very epic sound.

Trentemoller- If you liked "this binary universe", trentemoller pushes that sound a bit further into IDM/glitchy territory. I love this artist because it has all the technical prowess of IDM music while staying "musical", instead of the typical noisy mess of most IDM.

Suba- If you like bossa nova, you'll like this.

Unkle- Their albums are basically a who's who of electronic, trip hop, rock, and hip-hop. DJ shadow was on board for one album, Ian Brown, Thom Yorke (radiohead), mike d (beastie boys), Robert del Naja (massive attack). Not as good as you would expect with that roster, but still excellent work.

Massive Attack- No electronic list is complete without Massive Attack. Mindblowing production and attention to detail, amazing songs.

Kruder & Dorfmeister- K&D sessions is a classic, stunning compilation/remix album. They also have individual projects that are excellent (Tosca and Peace Orchestra), but I've never liked their original collaborative work.

EDIT: Add DJ Spooky to that list. If you're looking for twisted stuff, dubtometry should do it for you.
DJ Krush could also be good. His "regular" albums are pretty good, but I'm a huge fan of his collaboration with Toshinori Kondo called "Ki-Oku".

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #22 of 49
Check out Murcof's Martes. An absolutely essential recording in this area of music, though I rarely ever see it mentioned in these discussions - to my infinite sadness.

For rhythmic masturbation, you can probably just get something from Venetian Snares.

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #23 of 49
the kings of groovy electronica are Kruder & Dorfmeister

Check out the below, of which some are K&D in other guises and some also have already been mentioned, but i have some new suggestions as well - of which most are not really experimental, but good funky and groovy electronic influenced choons - besides Squarepusher, his stuff is on the bonkers side.

Tosca
Coldcut
Up Bustle & Out
Funki Porcini
Thievery Corporation
Dzihan & Kamien
Cinematic Orchestra
Peace Orchestra
Luke Vibert
Boards of Canada
London Funk All-Stars
Future Sound of London
Amon Tobin
Boozou Bajou
Squarepusher if you like Aphex Twin and stuff on the 'weird' tip

The Gotan Project has some good tunes on it as well

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #24 of 49
I'll add to the assault, which could really never end.

AGF - Westernization Completed
Autechre - Confield
Kid606 - Kill Sound Before Sound Kills You
Merzbow - Sphere
Pan Sonic - Kulma

A couple selections don't play with beats so much as meter, like Confield, which remains the most interesting experimental techno album I have ever heard. VI Scose Poise still blows my mind.

Aug 10, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #26 of 49
Whew! There's a lot to digest here. I can tell it's going to take a while, but I'll be back to let y'all know if something really hooks me in.

I appreciate that you guys are challenging me with some of this stuff -- I only have a vague idea of what I'm looking for, so some of the music I've been hearing has surprised me or made me think, "This is really interesting but I don't like it. What's bugging me?"

I'll mention, for example, Venetian Snares. The 7-beat cycles that he likes to use make his music stand out (does every electronic music artist have to use the same 4 beat mid-tempo feel for every song?), and I'll be listening more -- but at the same time, he seems like kind of a one trick pony (well okay, maybe two or three tricks), in that he's so interested in crazy rhythms that other aspects of his music are lacking. For example, ironically enough, I think his snare sounds really suck and the drums are flat/mechanical/lifeless.

A few artists have also stuck out to me because of their use of breaks or distinct sections in the music -- constructing a deliberate form, rather than presenting a constant, seemingly improvised thread with the same backing rhythm that never changes. The Venetian Snares song Szamár Madár, for example, has distinct sections and landmarks, which I like.

More ambient-oriented music, like what I've heard of This Binary Universe, naturally does better with variety within songs, and not just building up repeated rhythmic layers with slight variation.

Anyways, it may be a while before I get through all this stuff, but feel free to keep 'em coming; I'll keep the thread handy. Thanks again!

Aug 10, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll add to the assault, which could really never end.

Merzbow - Sphere

The whole of his album '1930' is available on last.fm, and seems like something I might want to sink my teeth into. Definitely a lot going on here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A couple selections don't play with beats so much as meter, like Confield, which remains the most interesting experimental techno album I have ever heard. VI Scose Poise still blows my mind.

This is an amazing song. I salute you, sir.

Aug 11, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #28 of 49
Some relatively new rather interesting stuff that hasn't been mentioned...

crystal castles- crystal castles
The field- from here we go sublime
Burial- untrue

Aug 20, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #30 of 49
Big agree on Amon Tobin, he's ace in pretty much everything he does.
I'd recommend the album Bricolage for more of a jazzy, upright bass powered album. Not groundbreaking rhythms or anything, but interesting enough to keep you listening to all the detail he puts into it.
Supermodified is amazing also, not as jazzy as his earlier stuff, a little darker, more melancholy if you ask me. The track Slowly may be my favorite track by Amon Tobin, it still surprises me after listening to it multiple times.

Bonobo is a lot like Amon Tobin. Same label, "Ninjatune."
His music is a little more laidback than Amon Tobins, and a little simpler. Not quite as intricate as Amon Tobin, but he's got great beats, and very jazzy samples. Animal Magic is by far one of the best trip hop/electronic albums I've ever heard. It's almost completely instrumental save for a few sampled vocals. It's all very tasteful and very well thought out. I can't really recommend one song from the album, because they're all very high quality, but listen to Kota. You'll be addicted by the simple, slightly sad guitar sample. The rhythm of this one is the coolest of the album. The guitar part may trick you at first, which is part of what makes it cool. be sure to tell me if you can feel the effect I'm talking about when the drums come in.

DJ Food is a little bit of a mix between Bonbobo and the next band I'll talk about. Take a listen to the song "The Crow." It's an interesting piece that really highlights the percussion instruments of the song. Great vibraphone part, and a drum beat that just draws you in. Later in a long the song are some drum fills that just blew me away when I listened to them. It's not too technical, but a very creative way of presenting the drums when not being played by a human.

Flanger and Wibutee are two fantastic bands that join jazz and electronic in a very fine way. Not "nu-jazz" per se, but more like jazz with some effects. A very unique and interesting listen. Spirituals by Flanger is an awesome album if you like jazzy sounding stuff. Nuclear jazz is much more electronic, and experimental sounding of an album. Definitely not as smooth and poppy as Spirituals.
Sweet Mentals and Eight Domestic Challenges by Wibutee are a lot more electronic and experimental sounding than most Flanger stuff, but it's still good.

If you're looking for some ambient stuff, I highly recommend susumu Yokota. I used to absolutely hate ambient music, but Susumu Yokota showed me that there can be good ambient also.
Far from the synthesizer overrun, reverb loving music that I think about when I think ambient, Susumu Yokota totally redefined ambient music for me. First I would recommend "The Boy And The Tree," It's an extremely well produced album of mostly ambient work by Susumu, using worldly sounds and a pretty simplistic sound. best song off the album by far: "Grass, Tree and Stone."
"Grinning Cat" is another excellent album from him. It's focused on samples and you can tell he uses samples very clearly on this one. It's not as "refined" as The Boy and The Tree, but that's not a bad thing, it's very raw, and still a fantastic listen. Check out Balloon In The Cage for an idea of what this album sounds like. Flying Cat is more rhythmical if that's what you're looking for, an interesting listen. I'd also recommend Card Nation from that album as a basic idea of what the album is like. It's very piano driven and very drum driven.
"Symbol" is one of the first I listened to by Susumu. It's full of standard classical samples, almost like a long mash up of classical music. It's all done very well, and just as good if you aren't listening for the pieces he's using.

Next, I would like to introduce you to Monk & Canatella.They're a band from the trip-hop period, but less hip hoppy and more experimental. I'd recommend the whole album "Care in the Community" if you can find it. I'd say it's one of the more obscure artists on this list. Like DJ Food, they use some very interesting drum beats that sort of make you rethink the way you play. Due to not being held back by human playing, they came up with some very creative ways to use percussion, which is one of my favorite reasons to listen to the genre.

The last recommendation I have for you now is the Dust Brothers. They scored the soundtrack for fight club. They've produced albums for beck, the beasties boys, etc. I think they did the most recent album by They Might Be Giants. anywho, give the fight club soundtrack a little more attention next time you watch the movie. It really pops out as a clasic in the film sound world.

Give me your thoughts if you take any of these recommendations! I hope you had the patience to read through all this!

Edit: Wow, sorry about that long post! I didn't realize I had been writing so long!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back