Help me discover creative electronic music
Aug 9, 2008 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

pdennis

100+ Head-Fier
So, I consider myself pretty close to a musical omnivore -- I'm picky in what I like, but I also listen to a wide range of genres, from baroque to jazz funk, 20th century classical, Dixieland, folk & bluegrass, salsa, you get the idea. But I've been kind of resistant to devoting much time to electronic music because I haven't found a lot of variety in the dance-oriented stuff, especially in terms of rhythm.

So, can anyone help me find some electronic artists who are really imaginative and pushing the envelope with regards to rhythmic patterns, sounds, melodic and harmonic structures, the way that folks like Nik Bartsch and Yosvany Terry are for jazz? Rhythmically oriented music that's not necessarily for dancing. Really crazy twisted stuff.

Thanks!

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 49
I'd recommend checking out BT (Brian Transeau), all of his albums (with the exception of maybe 'Emotional Technology') are absolutely fantastic. In particular I'd recommend 'This Binary Universe' to you, just a phenomenal album of very unique and imaginative music.

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 49
I listen to a lot of pop that uses electronica. Nothing too obscure, don't know if this is what you had in mind.

Radiohead. The Postal Service. The Notwist. Cut Copy.

Why not Daft Punk? Or go back further and Kraftwerk.

Too basic?

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 49
BT is simply incredible, but i MUST STRESS you need to listen to it in high quality on a killer rig to fully appreciate it (i cant do this yet
frown.gif
)

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #6 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdennis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, can anyone help me find some electronic artists who are really imaginative and pushing the envelope with regards to rhythmic patterns, sounds, melodic and harmonic structures, the way that folks like Nik Bartsch and Yosvany Terry are for jazz? Rhythmically oriented music that's not necessarily for dancing. Really crazy twisted stuff.

Thanks!

I've recommend these online streaming sites to other headfiers before. These sites give you 24 hour streaming of various artist. Hopefully, you will find many rhythmic styles that fit your interests.

SomaFM

OEM Radio

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #7 of 49
You guys are so great! I love this forum! I knew you folks would come through for me. Definitely have a few leads now to get interested & oriented in the genre. Here's what's doing it for me so far, all stuff that you suggested or that I discovered through looking at your suggestions:

Nobukazu Takemura -- really enjoying tracks off of the ambient "Water's Suite" and the glitchy "Sign". I'll probably like some of his other stuff too.

BT -- most of the stuff I found on Youtube I hated (well, let's just say that I could appreciate the intricacy of the production, but the music wasn't for me). But I'm totally digging "This Binary Universe".

Amon Tobin and Briskey, both suggested by Vali -- these have potential, for sure! Plenty of great moments. I like Tobin's sound, but he hasn't grabbed me quite as much as Takemura or BT, partly because the rhythms are mostly quite metrical, but there's still a good amount of variety. I think I'm discovering that the kind of 'swing' or human "inaccuracy" (not quite the word I'm looking for) that you get in funk, jazz, or Latin music is very rarely captured in electronica and related genres (like nu-jazz, perhaps).

Fallen, I've always been a huge Radiohead fan, though I stopped paying attention sometime after Amnesiac (though I love that album and Kid A). I should definitely catch up with them, they've always been amazing. Don't care much for Daft Punk or Kraftwerk (too simple, as you said), but I'll look into your other suggestions when I can. Thanks.

I've got a Lee Perry album around here somewhere that I've always dug. Anyone doing crazy-ass brain melting dub these days?

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #9 of 49
I dont know Nik Bartsch and Yosvany Terry but here are some suggestions that might interest you:

Kettel-Whisper Me Wishes
Clark-Body Riddle
Funckarma-Sploid

Ofcourse these artists have more releases to their name so dig in
atsmile.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #11 of 49
Great suggestions everybody has mentioned so far, and I'll add a few more:

1. Vangelis - pretty much everything this guy has made is great stuff! His most-recognized album is probably the Blade Runner soundtrack.
  2. Jean Michel Jarre - I only have one album by this artist, Equinoxe [MFSL UDCD 647]. It is meant to illustrate a whole day, and the light, musical way it is portrayed is beyond what words can describe, seriously.
    biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #14 of 49
I also remembered Orbital and Chemical Brothers. These are better known and closer to the roots of electronica, yet still innovative. But I haven't listened to them in a while and don't know what they're putting out these days.

Aphex Twin and FSOL, mentioned before, are great.

Quote:

I think I'm discovering that the kind of 'swing' or human "inaccuracy" (not quite the word I'm looking for) that you get in funk, jazz, or Latin music is very rarely captured in electronica and related genres (like nu-jazz, perhaps).

Quite true I think. Electronic music mostly does away with the human touch, there's generally a less crafted feel to this genre. Emotion does shine through, with some artists. The closer you get to techno, the more it feels like HAL from Space Odyssey making music. But I personally like that too
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

I've got a Lee Perry album around here somewhere that I've always dug. Anyone doing crazy-ass brain melting dub these days?

Lee Perry is the king of dub. If you like dub that pushes the edges try a couple oldie-but-goodies from Mark Stewart, As the Veneer of Democracy Starts to Fade, and Learning to Cope with Cowardice. They're more experimental and noisier than my other suggestions, but you'll be hooked. As a matter of fact if you like dub you should check out other Adrian Sherwood productions like African Headcharge (Songs of Praise is a favorite, but all the early stuff is excellent). Adrian produced two of Lee Perry's best records (post- Black Ark) — Time Boom De Devil Dead, and From My Secret Laboratory. An earlier Black Ark Lee Perry LP that you must have – Blackboard Jungle. Fantastic dub all around. If you want more recommendations PM me. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back