help me discern wether or not iv permanently damaged my ie8's
Dec 3, 2011 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nuclear

New Head-Fier
ill abbreviate, i have connected my sennheiser ie8 to a motorola cp200 walkie talkie, only the left side was functional and 1/2second prior to every audio income i heared the diaphragm pop out, since then the volume on that side i noticeably low compared to the right one, im not keen in electronics and whatever that is necessary to discern from reading the technical specifications of the two wether its possible or not that i have permanently damaged the left one, would be pleased to recieve some help with that here are the tech specs.

ie8: 
Frequency response 10 – 20000 Hz
Cable length 1.2 m, symmetrical (earphone to separator: 0.4 m; separator to plug: 0.8 m)
Impedance 16 Ω
THD, total harmonic distortion < 0.1%
Sound pressure level (SPL) 125 dB
Attenuation (passive) up to 26 dB (95%)
Connector 3.5 mm, angled
Ear coupling intraaural
Transducer principle dynamic
Weight 5 g

motorola cp200:

http://www.motorola.com/web/Business/Products/Two-way%20Radios/Portable%20Radios/Small%20Business%20Portable%20Radios/CP200/_Documents/Static%20Files/CP200_Series_Specifications.pdf

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 5
How do they sound in an audio player, not your walkie talkie? If you are still experiencing the same issue, there is a good chance a driver may be damaged. 

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 5
the situation described is when returning to normal use, the left side which was the one operational during that one time use with a walkie talkie is now noticebly low in volume, is there anything i can do as an attempt to fix? :/

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 5
is there any data on the tech specs of both the cp200 and ie8 that can help discern if theres an incompatibility between the two or that might imply that a damage might be caused ?

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 5
I would first rule out the cable by swapping the left earpiece to the right channel. If it isnt the cable, you can check to see if the driver is stuck. You can "pump" the diaphragm by making sure you have a seal and pressing it against your ear; this sometimes will bring it back to resting.
Also, Sennheiser covers the IEM's for two years from purchase (as long as it was through an authorized seller)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back