Help me disassemble my HD201's.
Apr 9, 2006 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Big_Irish

New Head-Fier
I've been with my first set of cans (Senn HD201's) for a week now. After breaking them in the sound had been amazing, no complaints at all. The only dislike I have about them is the fact that there a closed set of phones but don't filter out much outside noise. The back of the can also feels very thin. I would like to do the blue tack mod to help this out. Can someone walk me through the disassembly of my Senn's? This is my first set of headphones, and even though there cheap, I don;t want to ruin them, thanks guys.

Apr 9, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 6
The pads you just carefully push in and lift up at any one point. It's a bit tricky if you never done it before, but if you're patient enough to figure it out, it's easy. After that it's mostly obvious, just unscrew and disassemble.

Here's a thread with photos.
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=125883

I've tried using a bit of artist eraser/tack and 1/4" foam, the foam seems to suck up the low end even more. Haven't tried cotton fill yet, but i think the plastic box over the driver needs to be modified to hear any real improvement.

Apr 9, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks alot guys, looks like the drivers actually in a sealed enclosure. I wonder what opening up the smaller black box and using the entire area for the speaker would do? I'd imagine low end extension would be improved but the mids and highs probably washed out.

Also, quick questions about wiring, will any stranded copper wire work (20-24 AWG) or do you need special types of wire?

Apr 10, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 6
I just used Canare Mic cable to do my 201s (L-4E6S Starquad) - to me it made no sense to throw mega-buck cable at a $20 can, but that's just me. My only wish is that the cable was a slightly smaller diameter, but again if I was so motivated I could have gotten mini-starquad (L-4E5C) but I had the regular verison on hand and just went for it.

Best of luck.

Nate

Apr 10, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
I just used Canare Mic cable to do my 201s (L-4E6S Starquad) - to me it made no sense to throw mega-buck cable at a $20 can, but that's just me. My only wish is that the cable was a slightly smaller diameter, but again if I was so motivated I could have gotten mini-starquad (L-4E5C) but I had the regular verison on hand and just went for it.

Best of luck.

Nate

Sounds interesting, any pictures of the wire? I looked into it and am curious how you have it ran. I was thinking of using some home theater speaker wire I have laying around. I have some 20 AWG that I could use. To me diameter or stiffness doesn't matter because there primarily used for PC use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back