Help me decide...
Aug 10, 2019 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

RaZeu

New Head-Fier
I can't figure out which headphones to buy for EDM mixing, specifically house music. I can't try anything so I need your opinion. Which is the most accurate and which would you say would be suited best out of these options:

• Audio Technica ATH-M40X
  • Audio Technica ATH-M50X
  • Pioneer HRM-5
  • Pioneer HRM-6

Aug 10, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 19
Have you looked at reviews and videos on YouTube? I always start with those or reviews on here. I had the ATH 5000 and used pioneer headphones at work. I now use my Focal headphones.

Aug 10, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 19
I can't figure out which headphones to buy for EDM mixing, specifically house music. I can't try anything so I need your opinion. Which is the most accurate and which would you say would be suited best out of these options:

• Audio Technica ATH-M40X
  • Audio Technica ATH-M50X
  • Pioneer HRM-5
  • Pioneer HRM-6

Hi i own the ATH M40X and it is the most neutral gear i have heard. Totally flat and excellent for mixing. M50X has elevated bass so it is not as accurate for mixing but better for listening to music.
Haven't heard the pioneers but they have quite good reviews.

Aug 11, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 19
Hi i own the ATH M40X and it is the most neutral gear i have heard. Totally flat and excellent for mixing. M50X has elevated bass so it is not as accurate for mixing but better for listening to music.
Haven't heard the pioneers but they have quite good reviews.
Thanks for the response. I would probably gravitate towards the 40's then. I wonder why the EDM stars prefer the 50's? They must not be very smart. lol

Aug 11, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 19
Thanks for the response. I would probably gravitate towards the 40's then. I wonder why the EDM stars prefer the 50's? They must not be very smart. lol

Even for the M40X i read some reviews that on the fly mixing may not be 100% ideal with it as what you hear from the house is different from the headphones.

Maybe the EDM guys like a thumping bass that the M50X provides. Maybe u should go down to a shop to test both out too.

All the best for your search for a good set.

Aug 11, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #7 of 19
Haven't heard the Pioneers but of those you list, I would suggest the M40X. One other in this general price range that I would suggest you consider is the SoundMAGIC HP151--it is even better IMO.

Aug 11, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 19
The ATH-m50x are my least favorite.

Aug 12, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #11 of 19
I can't speak for other but m40x is really good bang for buck. Nice signature overall, sometimes when listening to some genres it lacks punch in lows but you're gonna drive them of the amp anyways so you can always EQ them a bit. Would definitely recommend, you can't go wrong with m40x.
BTW. If you get them you might wanna change the pads since stock ones are rough after some time. Brainwavs has great (20-30 bucks) replacement pads that suit m40x perfectly for comfort and sound.

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #12 of 19
I can't speak for other but m40x is really good bang for buck. Nice signature overall, sometimes when listening to some genres it lacks punch in lows but you're gonna drive them of the amp anyways so you can always EQ them a bit. Would definitely recommend, you can't go wrong with m40x.
BTW. If you get them you might wanna change the pads since stock ones are rough after some time. Brainwavs has great (20-30 bucks) replacement pads that suit m40x perfectly for comfort and sound.

The stock pads on m40x are quite uncomfortable for long listening sessions, agree with u (i wear specs though, so YMMV).
I have tried a few brainwavz pads to replace the stock pads but I gotta warn the OP, it will change the sound signature, IMHO for the worse. But definitely comfort is better. So if OP was getting the M40X for the very neutral sound signature, you gotta really think hard whether comfort or the sound signature is more important.

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #13 of 19
Haven't heard the Pioneers but of those you list, I would suggest the M40X. One other in this general price range that I would suggest you consider is the SoundMAGIC HP151--it is even better IMO.
The HP 151 sounds like an excellent headphone for the money.
For the OP on the list I have only heard the M40x and M50x and prefer the M40X. I own the M40X (gave them to my daughter).

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #14 of 19
the M40x are ok, and the M50x are ok also.
For me the comfort for AudioTech is a bit... underwhelming.

(havent tried any pioneer cans)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back