Help me decide.
Sep 14, 2008 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Sabrage

100+ Head-Fier
I've never had a portable source in my life, so headphones have never been a real issue for me. However, after seeing the new iPod Touches, I've decided that now would be a good time to start. I've decided that I'd like to spend about $100, with $150 being the absolute limit. I'll most likely not be wearing these often at home, but at school, on the bus and just at random social events, so maybe closed phones would be my best bet. (I'm not really sure)

I listen to a lot of different types of music, including post-rock, doom metal, stoner rock, electronica, hip-hop. I'm pretty sure that I want balanced phones to reflect this, but I do like to just pump the bass and rock out every now and then. I'm not an audiophile by any means (...yet), but comfort and aesthetics definitely play a role in the headphones I'm going to buy. Anyways, I've narrowed down a list of HPs I'm considering in my price range.

I do not want earbuds.

Grado SR-60: $70
Grado SR-80: $95
Allesandro MS-1: $100
Sennheiser HD485: $90
Audio-Technica ATH-ES7: $115
Audio-Technica ATH-A700: $120
Audio-Technica ATH-AD700: $100

The only headphones I've researched extensively are the Grados, (80 has larger earpads than 60 and is more bass-heavy) but I've heard that they're slightly uncomfortable which makes me hesitate. I'm not entirely sure on the differences and subtleties in the Audio-Technicas, so if anybody wants to give me a quick run-down I'd appreciate it.]

These will be running unamped initially, but I would consider getting a FiiO E3 (and possibly an E5 if they release) and CMoys have caught my attention too. Nothing too expensive or large, though.

I have to say, the other Senns in my price range (HD515) are probably just too ugly to wear in public. I know that's not really a factor for some of the hardcore head.fiers, but I don't think I could bring myself to do it.
tongue.gif

Not too sure if there's anywhere I can test these in Colorado, besides a swap meet. I've been lurking around here for a while, though, and I hope I can finally find myself a pair.

Sep 14, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 12
I have heard all of the phones that you have listed expect A700s and AD700s and I will go with the MS1s. I believe they have crazy good synergy with portables especially iPods. It also suits your music taste and I wouldn't amp the MS1s, they perform very well without one.

Sep 14, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 12
I agree with the ms1 choice for your rock tastes. Their sound is more well rounded than the sr60/80 but still has the great ability to rock hard.

If you're interested, i'm selling a pair for $80 shipped. Send me a pm.

Sep 14, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 12
Interestingly enough, I was just looking at your MS-1 thread Ubermario. I probably won't be buying for at least a month though, so if you get an offer before that I suggest you take it.

The MS-1's are extremely tempting, but the soundstage issue is holding me up... I should probably have mentioned in my first post that a good majority of the bands I listen to (Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Isis, Mountains Became Machines, The Mars Volta) are much more progressive-oriented than the average rock song. I'm not sure how rich soundstage gets in this price range, but I don't want to suffer through a 9-piece band or Explosions in the Sky because I cannot distinguish between the instruments. I think my genre definition in my original post was a bit too broad; the metal and rock I listen to is typically much more refined than the average Aerosmith or Metallica song. (which is not to say that I don't appreciate Aerosmith or Metallica, but they aren't exactly priority)

I'm not trying to be too picky here. Perhaps my last.fm profile will help provide a bit of perspective.

I'm also going to be watching movies, so soundstage is important there too.

I don't want to get hung up on this issue completely, though, so I'll definitely do much more research on the respective pros and cons of the MS-1.

Sep 14, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabrage /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not too sure if there's anywhere I can test these in Colorado, besides a swap meet. I've been lurking around here for a while, though, and I hope I can finally find myself a pair.

Listen-Up and Soundtrack both had good headphone audition stations. It's been awhile, so I don't know fer sure.

Please add the Denon AH-D1001K to your list. I was considering the Grados also, and decided to go with the Denons instead. By most accounts they're the best bang for the buck... and ***joy*** they're comfy.

Sep 14, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 12
Success! There's a Listen-Up about 20 minutes away from my house. I'll definitely check it out the next time I'm at Pearl Street. Soundtrack seems to be harder to find; I can't find their page on the Ultimate Electronics website. I'll keep looking though.

Those Denons look nice. Equation RP-21's are also under consderation now.

Sep 15, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #7 of 12
Hey,

I just wanted to mention that you are mistaking soundstage for something else. Soundstage is how big the area feels when you're listening. Like feeling that the guitarist is way over to the right, the drums are farthest from you, etc. It's totally different from being able to pick out each instrument (however the term right now doesn't come to my mind). MS-1's are great for rock.

D1001k's are great too, they're my portables. Make sure you recable them though, as the sound gets so much better.

Best advice has been given: Go listen to them first.

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #9 of 12
All right, after a day of research, I think that the only headphones under consideration now are the MS-1, D1001k, and ES7. My bad about the soundstage thing, I was indeed mistaken.

As stated, I don't currently have a pair of cans, and I haven't really compared any listening equipment so aural differences aren't exactly my strong point. I've been using the same speakers for several years (Infinity Primus 150) and it appears to me that the MS-1 has the closest sound signature: neutral, though I've found my speakers to be slightly lacking in bass at times. I usually have my receiver set to boost the low-end up a little bit.

Unfortunately, ListenUp does not carry Audio-Technica or the Alessandro, but I'll at least be able to test comfy vs. bowl pads on the Grados they have in stock. What kind of technical prowess does the cable swap entail, Mario? I've never been particularly good at soldering, and I wouldn't want to screw up and expensive pair of headphones. Also, how much would such a mod cost?

Sep 15, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #10 of 12
if you already had soldering supplies, it would cost you probably 10 bucks (maybe a lil more if your shipping rate is high for the cable/plug). However, if you are bad at soldering you may damage the voice coil in the phones by heating the contacts too long. If you live in the US i could always do it for you for free (if you pay shipping and send cable/plug).

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #11 of 12
Sounds like a mighty fine offer. No, I don't have a soldering iron, but I figure that 17 years of age is a good time to start. The only thing really holding me back is the fact that I haven't really soldered anything since like 8th grade... But I'm leaning more towards the MS-1's at the moment anyways. Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys, I'm driving up to Listen Up on Friday to compare at least the Denons and some Grados (for comfort)

I'll post back here with impressions of my first real listening test!

Sep 20, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #12 of 12
I checked out ListenUp today. That store is a pain in the ass to find, but once you get there it's actually a pretty nice place. Their headphone variety wasn't as nice as I would've liked (only Denon, Grado and Sony, and they only had up to the SR-125) but I wasn't planning on raising my price point anyways.

I didn't like the bowl pads on the SR-80 or 125, so I'm glad the MS-1 has comfies. I'm assuming the sound leak is about the same on the Alessandros as it is on the Grados, so if it is then that's no problem. There was a rather glaring problem with the cables on the SR-80 they had on display that prevented it from playing the left channel if positioned wrong, but I think that this had more to do with wear and tear than any actual defect (they also looked like they had been recabled, so that may have been botched)

I'm 99% sure I'll be buying a pair of MS-1's as soon as I have the money to. Thanks to everyone who helped me out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back