Help me decide which of these two soundcards I should get
Nov 25, 2004 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

luukas

500+ Head-Fier
I've finally narrowed my options down to two cards - E-Mu 0404, and the Waveterminal U24. Here's how I see the pros/cons right now:

0404:

+ Price "only" 100€
+ Supposedly beats anything in the same price range
+/- No Linux driver support as of yet, but possibly in the future
+/- PCI solution, less CPU overhead, but obviously no portability
- No Mac support, though I'd propably only consider a laptop anyway
- Amplifier a must, which is the largest issue here. I have no intention to buy a budget amp (50-100€), only to buy a more expensive one later on. Soo... the "amp" would be a Behringer UB502 (har har), which Plainsong gratuitously offered to return to me (sold with the DT770's)

U24:

+ Portable, supports multiple platforms, not sure about Linux though
+ Draws power from USB, so it's as portable as you can get
+ No need for an amp with the headphones I'm using
+/- USB, more overhead
- Price! About 185€ w/ shipping included

And just to make it simple, it's 0404->UB502 vs. U24. Personally I'm leaning towards the U24 as it can be useful should I buy a laptop. But then again, I am not plannin to in the near future.

Then! I think how an 0404 and, say, PC II would cost roughly 100€ more. So I have here a bit of a dilemma. Perhaps it'd help if I said that I'm not actually disappointed with my A2 ZS. It's the hiss and the shrill highs that annoy me during longer listening perios.

Nov 25, 2004 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 14
I just got the Emu 0404, and it blows my old soundstorm out of the water. It really is THE biggest improvement I got out of my rig. I'd advise getting the emu, but then again, I have not heard the waveterminal. Still, go for it.

Nov 26, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #3 of 14
I don't think any opinion from someone who hasn't heard both is worth anything really. A lot of people find that Audigy is a big jump from onboard sound... doesn't mean it's the greatest thing since sliced bread...

Nov 26, 2004 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallasstar
I don't think any opinion from someone who hasn't heard both is worth anything really. A lot of people find that Audigy is a big jump from onboard sound... doesn't mean it's the greatest thing since sliced bread...

Really? I heard my soundstorm had better quality than that of audigy, but hey.
I did state I have not heard both. I just felt I'd give some positive feedback on the SQ of the 0404, since for me, it's been a really good move. [oh yeah, setting up the drivers sucks majorly.]

Nov 26, 2004 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 14
Who told you you need an amp with the 0404? I can power my hd650's straight from my 0404 with no problem at all. Loud, full of bass, etc. Whoever says otherwise hasnt tried it.

Nov 26, 2004 at 2:17 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
Really? I heard my soundstorm had better quality than that of audigy, but hey.

Well no. Soundstorm has a great digital out for games because it encodes Dolby Digital on the fly. It's analogue outs are as worse as any integrated solution.

Nov 26, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99
Well no. Soundstorm has a great digital out for games because it encodes Dolby Digital on the fly. It's analogue outs are as worse as any integrated solution.

Not necessarily. The analog outs are much superior to those on A64 motherboards, according to what I've read on www.ocforums.com, though of course they aren't anything special.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
Who told you you need an amp with the 0404? I can power my hd650's straight from my 0404 with no problem at all. Loud, full of bass, etc. Whoever says otherwise hasnt tried it.

The HD650 is a high-impeadence can, which the 0404 is decent at driving. It struggles if the cans need lots of current though (like low-impeadnece Grados).

Nov 26, 2004 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 14
Ahh! Maybe I should just flip a coin eh?

Seriously though, I think I will get the Waveterminal, then I'll have a fully portable setup (unless you count the PC...). After that I can start saving for a dedicated home setup.

Nov 26, 2004 at 8:38 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
The HD650 is a high-impeadence can, which the 0404 is decent at driving. It struggles if the cans need lots of current though (like low-impeadnece Grados).

True. It has trouble powering anything under my 64-ohm hd280 pro's. Grado's are under that? Grado fans sure are missing out on a lot of extra detail cut out due to their low impedance.

Nov 26, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #10 of 14
Damnit I don't believe this! I was about to place the order, and what do you know, the U24 has disappeared from the store from which I was going to buy it! And what's best, the only other Finnish retailer holds an insane 260€ price.

Of all the unforeseeable occurrences...

Nov 26, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Not necessarily. The analog outs are much superior to those on A64 motherboards, according to what I've read on www.ocforums.com, though of course they aren't anything special.

Most of the motherboard manufacturers using Realtek AC97 for intergrated solution and the implementation is the same, regardless it is nVidia or VIA chipset. If the implementation is the same, most likely the sound quality is just the same.

Nov 27, 2004 at 4:02 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
True. It has trouble powering anything under my 64-ohm hd280 pro's. Grado's are under that? Grado fans sure are missing out on a lot of extra detail cut out due to their low impedance.

Grados are 32 ohms. They'll sound just fine with an amp, but not the best without one (I was referring to unamped usage in my post).

Nov 27, 2004 at 12:36 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by luukas
Damnit I don't believe this! I was about to place the order, and what do you know, the U24 has disappeared from the store from which I was going to buy it! And what's best, the only other Finnish retailer holds an insane 260€ price.

Of all the unforeseeable occurrences...

Well, you know what this is telling you...

Nov 27, 2004 at 1:04 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
Well, you know what this is telling you...

Indeed.
biggrin.gif

However, I intend to hold the purchase off until I know why the U24 was pulled out. Perhaps a newer model will replace it, though I find that unlikely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back