Help me decide what to do next summer
Sep 13, 2007 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

EhJayKim

100+ Head-Fier
I know next summer is a year away, but in order to get permits I need to start planning now.

So, I am deciding between the Boundary Waters Canoe Area and Zion National Park.

BWCA: Probably be out for 5-7 days, not quite sure. I would go canoeing and fishing etc. I am a very strong canoeist, so I could easily do 10 miles a day and be done before lunch. It's really cool and I remember last time I went, I only saw people two or three times in 7 days.

Zion: Canyoneering

If I went to zion I would probably stay the same 5-7 days, and I would go canyoneering in the slot canyons. Canyoneering is when you repel down into the canyons ( you have to get to the top first). I would also camp in the park. The thing is, it's always really crowded there.

So, which would you do? Which sounds like it would be more fun. I think I would get a permit for 8 people. so it would be 4 canoes, or 8 people in the slot canyon. 8 is a big group for a slot canyon, but still totally doable.

The other thing is that I am in LA. I checked airfare to to to Minnesota, and it's basically 300 a person, but it would be cheaper once I was there because I own everything except canoes, so I would just need to rent those for 20-30 something a day for each boat. In zion I would need wetsuits and technical gear for repels etc. (the canyons get freezing and there is lots of water even though it is 100+ outside). But, with the airfare, Minnesota would still probably be more expensive. and Driving to Ely Minnesota would take a long time, its 2289 miles from here, Utah would take about 10 hours I think. Then again, if I did fly, I would have to find a way from St. Paul to Ely...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
A

Sep 18, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #2 of 2
I would definitely give the BWCA a shot. It is a beautiful place. BEAUTIFUL.

You like to rock climb? There are plenty of nice places to climb in BWCA as well. If you go out of Grand Marais, instead of Ely, you could make a stop along the way and climb at Palisade Head and Carlton Peak.

As far as getting from the Twin Cities to Ely, there are flights that can extend your air travel to Ely. There are also a few outfitters that will come and pick you up in the Twin Cities. I think Jordans Outfitters is one of them.

http://www.BoundaryWatersCanoeArea.com
http://www.bwcaboard.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back