help me decide what DIY tube amp should i build
Apr 22, 2004 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ProFingerSk8er

Headphoneus Supremus
yupp, that itch for an upgrade again.
i have heard many said that W100 sounds good with tubes, i dont know if i can ignore those posts
smily_headphones1.gif

any suggestion on DIY tube amps? im intersted in something a level (or two) higher then PIMETA, and goes well with ATH-W series.
i will also be upgrading my source soon, i just want to build some higher-level tube amps, i have seen some very intersting kits, but the search function isnt working currently, im having trouble finding those links.

right now i am more intersted in kits then completely scratch built, mostly because i know 0 about tubes and picking out parts takes a looooooong time. as for price range, i havnt decide yet, but any suggestion under $380 would be great.

thanks!

Apr 22, 2004 at 5:20 AM Post #2 of 5
How about a Mapletree Audio Design Ear Kit or it's variations (more like upgrades). It's been assembled by members of the forum and is regarded highly.

Apr 22, 2004 at 5:22 AM Post #3 of 5
wow...that's funny, i was just thinking about the exact same thing!! and the price sounds right too..

http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/kits.htm
can anyone explain the difference between Ear+ Purist and Ear+ Purist HD ?

however i highly dislike the casing, it's ok, i can make my own
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks!

Apr 22, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProFingerSk8er
wow...that's funny, i was just thinking about the exact same thing!! and the price sounds right too..

http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/kits.htm
can anyone explain the difference between Ear+ Purist and Ear+ Purist HD ?

however i highly dislike the casing, it's ok, i can make my own
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks!

the case looks much, much better in person, i have to say. i believe the HD uses the same design with upgraded parts, although i may be mistaken. the kit and instructions were superbly designed, and dr. peppard was very supportive to any issues i had (this is relative to my latest tube-kit foray, the chazz).

Apr 22, 2004 at 7:01 AM Post #5 of 5
i believe you on the casing the terabyte, almost everthing looks better in real-life. however i think it's the style that's bugging me, so if i decide on this amp im very sure i will put it in my own enclosure.

after more reading i am pretty sure this is the amp i want to build, unless you guys can give me a reason not to or give me better suggestions

how big exactly is the Ear+'s case? and to decide how i want it to look like, i also need you guys to help me on the followings:
1. how big is the power supply?
2. how many transformers does it use (and if possible, how big are each transformers)
2. other then the transformers and tubes, what is the biggest part in the Ear+? and about how big are they?

thank you guys soo much for all the help soo far

Users who are viewing this thread

Back