Help me decide! Weston, Etymotic, Logitech, Shure?
Nov 19, 2011 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Uber-Pea8675

New Head-Fier
So I've always preferred the accessibility of in-ear buds, I've just never treated myself to a high-end model. Most of you will laugh, but I've carried around the Creative EP-630s for years now. They still work great, but my love for music is begging me to move on.

First off, I'll say that my absolute maximum budget is $500. That being said, I am not sure if I am willing to spend the whole amount, unless you guys convince me it's worth it of course.

I've been reading millions of reviews and basically I've narrowed it down to this:

High-end range:

Weston 3s - $500
  1. 3 individual drivers for low, medium, highs
  2. Plenty of ear cushion sizes
  3. 20Hz - 18 kHz

Logitech TripleFi 10 - $400
  1. 3 individual drivers as well
  2. 117 dB sensitivity
  3. 10Hz - 17 kHz

Etymotic ER4P - $300
  1. Rated some of the best noise isolation

Lower-end:

Logitech UE700 - $150
  1. 2 drivers for highs and lows
  2. 5 sizes, plus 2 extra foam
  3. 113 dB sensitivity

Shure SE315 - $170
  1. Single driver with a tuned bassport
  2. 64 inch cable
  3. 22Hz - 18.5 kHz

My question to you headfis is: Do you think I'm better off starting with something on the lower-end of the scale? Anything will be an upgrade for me at this point. Is the extra cash worth that extra boost? Of these headphones, what would be your recommended choice?

Any personal reviews of these headphones is greatly welcomed.

I really appreciate you guys' help and advice with this :)

Best,

Uber-Pea

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber-Pea8675 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My question to you headfis is: Do you think I'm better off starting with something on the lower-end of the scale? Anything will be an upgrade for me at this point. Is the extra cash worth that extra boost? Of these headphones, what would be your recommended choice?

Welcome to Head-Fi, my friend! Sorry about your wallet, blah blah blah, and you know how the rest goes. 
biggrin.gif

For starters, I'd personally recommend any one of the mid-tiers (at $200 and below), some of which perform at the high-tier level, believe it or not. The two most noteworthy in my opinion would have to be the Sony EX600 or Vsonic GR07. Reason being, either works exceptionally well as an all-rounder, and will sound great with mostly any genre, which makes recommending them that much easier. Not to mention, as it stands, either one of the two will offer a significant improvement from where you're coming from. In terms of price:performance ratio, the two aforementioned are among the best around, hence I'm hard pressed to say you won't find better bang for your buck! All the best. 
smile.gif

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 46

Quote:
Quote:

Welcome to Head-Fi, my friend! Sorry about your wallet, blah blah blah, and you know how the rest goes. 
biggrin.gif

For starters, I'd personally recommend any one of the mid-tiers (at $200 and below), some of which perform at the high-tier level, believe it or not. The two most noteworthy in my opinion would have to be the Sony EX600 or Vsonic GR07. Reason being, either works exceptionally well as an all-rounder, and will sound great with mostly any genre, which makes recommending them that much easier. Not to mention, as it stands, either one of the two will offer a significant improvement from where you're coming from. In terms of price:performance ratio, the two aforementioned are among the best around, hence I'm hard pressed to say you won't find better bang for your buck! All the best. 
smile.gif

I couldn't agree more!!! Both of these are phenomenal phones.

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 46
Firstly welcome to Head-Fi! I completely agree with i2ehan and the experience is essential. From my experience, if you don't want a lot of money spent on IEMs/ HPs, jump to the top and don't look back.

Btw, the SQ of the UE700 is more of a mid-high range to me. I call it the standard of top tier BA IEMs.

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 46
OP You're looking at pretty different sound signatures in at least two of the iems you've listed. The Etymotics are detail hounds, considered bass light. the TripleFI (which may come up for $88 again on Black Friday) are U (or V) shaped with a treble and bass emphasis. They're both great, but have different strengths.

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #8 of 46
a important phone you're overlooking is the brainwavz b2 or dba-02, for $130, its a very good deal, imo, better then then tf10 and westone 3 (had issues with the westone 3 sound signature) and the etymotic er4p's

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #10 of 46

Quote:
a important phone you're overlooking is the brainwavz b2 or dba-02, for $130, its a very good deal, imo, better then then tf10 and westone 3 (had issues with the westone 3 sound signature) and the etymotic er4p's

I wouldn't call the dba02 better than the tf10 and westone3. They are merely different, and people prefer different sound signatures. If anything, I would say the tf10 is definitely technically better than the dba02.

I think it's better to ask what sort of sound signature the OP is after before making recommendations of your personal favorites. 

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #11 of 46

Quote:
Better in what way?

the tf10 had a very noticeable recessed mid and the treble was about the same level, but much more sibilant and "hot" (cymbals sounded painful), the tf10 did have slightly better soundstage (wider left to right, not forward) the fit was craptastic too, the thing stuck out like dumbo ears, never stayed in and the stiff cable did not help the fitment at all.
the westone 3 had poor fit for me as well, whenever i moved my jaw (yawning for example, the earpiece would be pushed out) the soundstage was very good though. you could hear the height of the instruments. best example of the vertical change in sound would be paparazzi by lady gaga (yes, lady gaga, but that song comes to mind whenever i think of the westone 3, you could hear the "beeps" rising up and down. anywho, the westone 3 didn't have enough treble for me (felt constantly muffled) and the sound bores were too short causing fit and seal issues. 
er4p: i have used the er4p as well as it's "lesser" sibiling, the hf5s. soundstage is next to nothing, fit is a pain in the ass, cables are extremely microphonic with no real relief to the problem (forget about over the ear, it doesn't work with the er4p) the sound is clinical, lifeless and there isn't any subbass. one of the least enjoyable phones i have owned. there is a reason why they are called ear rape 4's

if price is important: the tf10's can be found for $130 or so if you look hard due to the after effects of the christmas sale
the dba-02s are $160 or $130 for the brainwavz b2 clones 
westone 3's are $270
hf5's are about $110 or $300 for questionably better er4p's.

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #14 of 46

Quote:
the tf10 had a very noticeable recessed mid and the treble was about the same level, but much more sibilant and "hot" (cymbals sounded painful), the tf10 did have slightly better soundstage (wider left to right, not forward) the fit was craptastic too, the thing stuck out like dumbo ears, never stayed in and the stiff cable did not help the fitment at all.
the westone 3 had poor fit for me as well, whenever i moved my jaw (yawning for example, the earpiece would be pushed out) the soundstage was very good though. you could hear the height of the instruments. best example of the vertical change in sound would be paparazzi by lady gaga (yes, lady gaga, but that song comes to mind whenever i think of the westone 3, you could hear the "beeps" rising up and down. anywho, the westone 3 didn't have enough treble for me (felt constantly muffled) and the sound bores were too short causing fit and seal issues. 
er4p: i have used the er4p as well as it's "lesser" sibiling, the hf5s. soundstage is next to nothing, fit is a pain in the ass, cables are extremely microphonic with no real relief to the problem (forget about over the ear, it doesn't work with the er4p) the sound is clinical, lifeless and there isn't any subbass. one of the least enjoyable phones i have owned. there is a reason why they are called ear rape 4's

if price is important: the tf10's can be found for $130 or so if you look hard due to the after effects of the christmas sale
the dba-02s are $160 or $130 for the brainwavz b2 clones 
westone 3's are $270
hf5's are about $110 or $300 for questionably better er4p's.

I thought the HF5s had decent sub-bass...  And you get used to the "ear rape" after a week... 

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #15 of 46
I have heard bad things about the Klipsch "Custom" cable, but not the "X" series.  But u may want to research that.

I have the ER4P, and I abuse that thing, it still keeps going strong. I would say if it has a weakness, it is the green filter/dampers....  they need to be replaced fairly often. For me around every 3-4 months or so. (depends on use, humidity, and ear hygiene)

Westone....   frankly...   I have little expereince with them, but I like how they are stationed in the ear.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back