Help me decide: Sennheiser HD25 or Beyer DT1350?
Oct 2, 2012 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

AK59

New Head-Fier
Went down to the store and tried these (and some more). Realized that I am not looking for the open headphones. Since I travel fair bit, HD25 and DT1350 seem to be the right names. I will use them to watch movies and listen to music (no specific genre preferences, except not heavy metal stuff) from my iPad/ iPhone. Budgeting up to $300 (somewhat flexible).

Someone suggested Shure SRH840, but the store didnt have this one to demo

Any suggestion would be welcome.

BTW: Great site guys!

Oct 2, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #2 of 8
HD25 and DT1350 are entirely different animals, not to mention the considerable price difference. Also, if the HD25 are on your list, then so should be the V-Moda M80, which are in my opinion, better than the HD25 and for less money (or at least they are in the UK). Also you mention the SRH840, is it full sized circum-aural headphones you are looking for or portable supra-aural headphones ?

I see that you have said that you have no specific genre of music that you listen to, but do you have a preference for the *type* of sound signature that you like ? Do you like emphasised bass, or prominent mids, or sparkling tebles for example ? Do you want a flat and balanced sound, or something more coloured musically ?

Oct 2, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #4 of 8
HD25 and DT1350 are entirely different animals, not to mention the considerable price difference. Also, if the HD25 are on your list, then so should be the V-Moda M80, which are in my opinion, better than the HD25 and for less money (or at least they are in the UK). Also you mention the SRH840, is it full sized circum-aural headphones you are looking for or portable supra-aural headphones ?

I see that you have said that you have no specific genre of music that you listen to, but do you have a preference for the *type* of sound signature that you like ? Do you like emphasised bass, or prominent mids, or sparkling tebles for example ? Do you want a flat and balanced sound, or something more coloured musically ?

Hd25 and dt1350 seem to be in the similar price band, at least in Singapore (S$450-500)- what is different between the two? Will look at V-Moda.

I am looking at portable, but TBH I got started 3 days ago on research, so what do I know :)

Re: your question on "music signature", I don't even know what these mean. Some of my fav artists/ bands are Eagles, Bon Jovi, Staind, Sinatra, Black Eyed Peas, U2 etc- not sure if it helps. Also, popular Bollywood songs and oldies are staple.

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #5 of 8
All things being equal on price, the DT1350 is going to be your best buy. Here in the UK, it is nearly twice the price of the Senn HD25, but if in Singapore it is the same price (and isn't a fake), then that is your best purchase and is one of the best purchases you could make in portable headphones.

The V-Moda M80 would be my next choice, but you would be equally happy with either it or the HD25 for the sort of music you listen to (which seems to be largely rock music with some vocal content), where the headphones ability to reproduce musical extremes fully (such as very deep sub-bass) are not a significant requirement. 

All three of these headphones are highly rated here in the head-fi community, and buying any of them for your sort of music is not going to leave you feeling cheated. 

So, for me:

1. DT1350
2. M80
3. HD25

That order would be personal preference for me. I accept that others opinions may differ :)

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #6 of 8
I've only heard the HD25, SRH840, and M80's. I felt like the SRH840's needed a little bit of amplification to sound better, while the HD25 and M80 don't seem to need one at all. When I listened to the HD25 and M80 side by side, they sounded really really similar. Also, while I own the HD25 and not the M80 (I purchased the HD25 before getting to try out the M80), I felt like the comfort of the M80's were better. If you wear glasses (or not), the HD25's clamp so hard, that by the end of a 2 hour movie, my ears hurt a bit from all the pressure, and I don't recall the M80's clamping as hard. With the lower cost and added comfort of the M80's, I would swing towards those if I had a choice between them and the HD25. An edge I would give to the HD25's is that they felt a bit more durable in my hands.  

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks. Am beginning to gravitate towards 1350s. Few more questions. Thanks for the patient responses- the world of headphones is unexpectedly complex, as I am increasingly learning.

1. I was looking at their websites, and both Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic categorize HD25 and DT1350 under Professional/ DJ Headphones. Professionally, I am as far from music as possible, so not sure if these are targeted to me (they did sound pretty nice yesterday though). Any comments?

2. What's the difference between HD 25-SP II and HD 25- 1 II?

3. Reading more on the forums, people say good things about Sennheiser Momentum. How would these compare to DT1350?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back