Help Me Decide, Please!
Feb 18, 2005 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

TheLaZeR

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking at getting another pair of headphones..Preferably open headphones that are not earcanal phones (already have e2c).

I listen to a varying kind of music, Such as:

Phish
Zeppelin
Nirvana
AC/DC
Metallica
Tupac
NAS

I love strong bass and i'm looking for comfortable full sized phones for less then 500$...And i will be using them at home so isolation is not very important.

I was looking at the HD-650, or a Grado phones...I don't know though.

Thanks in Advance.

Feb 19, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 24
DT880 or 770 if you want more bass
DT250-80
SR225

For $500 total you can get a very good amp to go with any of the above.

IMHO HD600-650s are not up front enough for those bands.

Garrett

Feb 19, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 24
Mmm, DT880's are looking good right now, about half of what i'm willing to save up for and spend...

If i were to get those, what amp or source should i get?? I have never bought an amp or anything, only listened through my mp3 player, stereo, and computer.

Feb 19, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #4 of 24
This is Head-Fi.

Just buy one of everything now and avoid the rush.

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about the wallet.
tongue.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 24
Grados are great for rock but still hold up in hiphop and dont really need amping (though it never hurts)

How imprortant is comfort? Grados aren't too bad (though they are bad at first), but it's not a feeling of having 2 pillows on your head like some other headphones. You'll never completely forget the the grados are there, in my opinion

I only own one of the metal grados though and the plastics would be a bit lighter

Feb 19, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 24
If you already have a decent source, you could get a Gilmore Lite and almost any of the above headphones to go with it. Then you'll have an awesome amp and some very good cans to go with it.

I'd probably look away from Grado if you want lots of comfort, though. They do sound nice, though.

Feb 19, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #7 of 24
$500 opens you to many headphones. If you want bass for your hip hop i say get the beyer 770/80 pro
basshead.gif
. These cans have unbelievable bass that goes deep with great impact. Then get yourself a pair of grados SR225 for your rock music. I dont believe one headphone can do it all, but these two will cover your musical preferences. The beyer 770 will require an amp, while the SR225 sounds pretty nice without but better with one.

Feb 19, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #8 of 24
Well i will be listening to them for probably a couple hours a night doing homework and stuff, so comfort is an issue.

I think i will go with the Beyer DT880's...

Then somewhere down the road i will get a good amp and the SR-225's.

Feb 19, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLaZeR
I think i will go with the Beyer DT880's...

the DT880's are more suited for classical and jazz music. i just dont see how they fit with the type of music you listen to.

Feb 19, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
the DT880's are more suited for classical and jazz music. i just dont see how they fit with the type of music you listen to.

I never understood this.... I thought they sounded very good with the pink floyd and genesis tunes I demo'd them with. Granted theyre not the most up-front sounding can but still sounded good IMHO. Like a more subdued DT770

Garrett

Feb 21, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I never understood this.... I thought they sounded very good with the pink floyd and genesis tunes I demo'd them with. Granted theyre not the most up-front sounding can but still sounded good IMHO. Like a more subdued DT770

Garrett

i'm not saying they sound bad, just that they're not really suited for rock. in his case, i think the DT770 would be a better choice if he goes for the Beyers.

Feb 21, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLaZeR
Phish
Zeppelin
Nirvana
AC/DC
Metallica
Tupac
NAS

Grado. Start with the MS1. $100 should satiate your lust. For now.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 21, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #15 of 24
Welcome to headfi and I am not sorry about your wallet. Why don't you buy either a grado-sr-60 or MS-1 that way you will know if the grado sound is for you. If not you can work from there. Also it saves you money not having to buy an amp at first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back