Help me decide on my next upgrade
Feb 28, 2004 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gort

100+ Head-Fier
My phones: ER-4S and Grado SR60
Source: iPod 3g and ancient Yamaha HT system
Amp: none

I have narrowed it down to source upgrade to Sony SCD-C555ES (unmodded) or high end amp (PPA, HR MOH, and etc). Which option will give me the better sound? I'll eventually have both; my upgrade strategy is to get the high end stuff by piecemeal.

Basically this is 555es' headphone jack vs. iPod/Yamaha HT with high end amp.

Feb 28, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 3
any source will have a more dramatic affect upon the sound than any amp. therefore always start with the source.

why the Sony? Why not a Denon, Pioneer, Marantz, et. al., or SACD player? If you think that you will mod it later why not just put the extra money into a better player from the start?

Feb 28, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
any source will have a more dramatic affect upon the sound than any amp. therefore always start with the source.

Thanks! I choose 555es b/c I haven't read a single bad post about it. Mods or Tweaks aren't my thing. Do you know any other SACD players in $500-800 range that can rival the 555es?

Two month old audiophile here and can someone give me their opinion on my upgrade roadmap?

Sony 555es->Senn 600 or 650->high end amph->Mid level Grado->Good ICs->$2k+ SACD player.

I'll complete everything except for the $2k source this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back