Help me decide on my first pair of proper headphones!
Sep 16, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #16 of 21
I don't know the closed DT770, but I know the DT880 quite well, and those low-mid-tier Beyerdynamics seem all very closely related or even basically the same. In any case, I would say, they will probably overall convince you the most of your first selection, but the AKG will please and suprise you more sometimes. I tried the closed K550 once, and this is my direct experience with the closest equivalences I know. However, I can't decide between that for you or be more specific than that...
Other than that the AKG is way smoother, and Beyerdynamic "tighter" or harder maybe. However AKG quality can vary especially in bass and lower mids, whereas Beyerdynamic typically are all-rounders, which is why I said they can probably "convince" overall more. However I don't specifically remember the K500's bass, but I vaguely recall now that contrary to trend it is supposed to be actually very good. So I personally would deem them equal after all, without direct test.
If it's possible and not a huge deal to you, I'd consider comparing your choice and sending the other one back.

Sep 17, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #17 of 21
I don't know the closed DT770, but I know the DT880 quite well, and those low-mid-tier Beyerdynamics seem all very closely related or even basically the same. In any case, I would say, they will probably overall convince you the most of your first selection, but the AKG will please and suprise you more sometimes. I tried the closed K550 once, and this is my direct experience with the closest equivalences I know. However, I can't decide between that for you or be more specific than that...
Other than that the AKG is way smoother, and Beyerdynamic "tighter" or harder maybe. However AKG quality can vary especially in bass and lower mids, whereas Beyerdynamic typically are all-rounders, which is why I said they can probably "convince" overall more. However I don't specifically remember the K500's bass, but I vaguely recall now that contrary to trend it is supposed to be actually very good. So I personally would deem them equal after all, without direct test.
If it's possible and not a huge deal to you, I'd consider comparing your choice and sending the other one back.

Thank you that is very helpful indeed (albeit i am more confused now :) )

AKG came out with a new model, cant remember the model now but i was checking them out last week (ones with a rectangular design) but there is very little info on them online since they are fairly new.

I know that any one i get in the end, will be satisfactory enough for me as the first good headphone i will own. Even if i get the dt770s or the AKGs, or event he 1more triple drivers for that matter. Reason being, i guess, that i have no previous experience with a good headphone.

Sep 17, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #18 of 21
Just get an HD25, seals well even when its on ear. Pretty much unbreakable, can wear in rain, snow and whatever. Doesn't even need an amp. I think its still one of the best portable headphones you can get.

Ill definitely check these out, however, if im getting an on-ear, it will definitely be the 1more triple driver. After everything i read/watched online these past couple days, i am convinced and curious..

Sep 17, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #19 of 21
Ill definitely check these out, however, if im getting an on-ear, it will definitely be the 1more triple driver. After everything i read/watched online these past couple days, i am convinced and curious..
I don't know the triple driver. I'd be worried about the need for a crossover with a triple driver design. But maybe they figured it out. All I know is that the HD25 is a true classic that still has the edge over many newer headphones. The biggest disadvantage is the small soundstage, but apart from that it provides just a very nice sound. And being able to wear it in the shittiest weather without breaking is a big plus. You can throw them around all you want and they keep going. You buy HD25's for life.

Sep 18, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #20 of 21
So this is what it gets down to.

I can get,

The B&O H6 for 100 (Open Box, Basically brand new cans.
The 1MORE triple driver for 136
The DT770 for 100
The MX50BT for 120-130 (Pre owned, great condition)

↑ all GBP/EUROS (not much difference nowadays :) )
What would you recommend based on the above for the first headphone to experience?

While i am very inclined on the H6 (due to price and reviews and use-case (portability, easy to drive)), i am very very curious as i already mentioned about the 1MORE. Everyone is recommending the DT770 but theres the issue of protability. And then the M50xBT came into play, while i was not considering wireless headphones (based on my thinking that since my budget is already low, getting a wireless at that price point is not going to be beneficial in any way?) the price is not bad.

Sep 18, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #21 of 21
AKG came out with a new model, cant remember the model now but i was checking them out last week (ones with a rectangular design) but there is very little info on them online since they are fairly new.

I know AKG has some new low-price models. I actually tried one, the half open K245, hoping for something good. However I think their K550-series (and maybe the K612) might be the last one that's genuinely good, aside from expensive ones. The K245 sounded cheap to me, not very refined and ultimately unpleasant. But maybe the closed ones are more related to the K550s than whatever the K245 is based on.

Btw., sorry for the confusion. Ultimately I would say I actually lean to the K553 more than to the DT770. But that's just me, and I didn't try the DT770, just its open brother DT880.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back