Help me decide on my first pair of proper headphones!
Sep 15, 2019 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Edhunter

New Head-Fier
This is mostly a repost from reddit i hope thats ok, just discovered this community this month and ive been avidly reading through the forums. Awesome stuff all around.

Now lets cut to the chase.

Wow... i am... truly astonished... and confused! I am so freaking confused i cant even explain it.

I have a thing where, when i am going to buy something, be that a retail product, a service whatever it is, i research the S**T out of it. Like, i literally try (notice i wrote try please) to become an expert in the category before proceeding. Not because i need to have the best of anything (well.. sometimes maybe i do) but because i enjoy it immensely. I enjoy the process. I learn in the process as well..

Ive never felt this way when i was buying tech for anything else ever. I am in for give or take a month now, reading, discussing, watching ( i think i watched all of Zeos Reviews..) and instead of things clearing up, i am more confused than ever! I feel i need another year to learn more, try things out for my self and then maybe, maybe decide what might be best for me!!

Nevertheless, that wasnt a rant by the way, just an intro . I am, well somewhat, drawn to some closed back cans and while i am very hesitant (lol) i need some more advice!

Im in for a sub 200 closed back. Preferably over ear. So long story short, i will be listening to music in my office, my living room and on planes (long haul flights and short flights almost every other month). Thats it. Metal/Rock/Blues/Lofi/indies/ trip hop sometimes(bass!) etc etc. I like bass a lot, but i prefer it when it is smooth and not over accentuated. I want to experience something more than the only pair of headphones i own which is a sound intone cx-05 :D..

I have these 4 in my amazon cart and i want your views.

BeyerDynamic dt770 Pro 80ohm
1More Triple Driver (with graphene, i hope)
Cooler Master MH752
AKG K553 PRO

Please, please do suggest anything else you might think would be a good idea to check out..

This is what i think. I am concerned about non detachable cables ( fixable on the dt770s i know).

I am also, very very mildly concerned about on ear pads but i guess i could get used to them if the 1mores are that better? The fact that they are a bit more “portable” is also a plus..

Is there a big reason in why i should get the DT770’s instead of the triple driver if the price difference is 30 pounds and if i could use the extra “pirtability” of the 1mores?

I love, love, love sleeper contenders that kill their “betters” for less (MH752) and im very very curious but something tells me that my other options are superior in one way or another..

I cannot try them, but i might be able to order two and return one..

I also forgot to mention that i would like to get a nice not overly expensive ( i meant cheap there..) portable amp. Would a fiio a3 suffice with any of the options?

Thanks!!

Sep 15, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 21
This is mostly a repost from reddit i hope thats ok, just discovered this community this month and ive been avidly reading through the forums. Awesome stuff all around.

Now lets cut to the chase.

Wow... i am... truly astonished... and confused! I am so freaking confused i cant even explain it.

I have a thing where, when i am going to buy something, be that a retail product, a service whatever it is, i research the S**T out of it. Like, i literally try (notice i wrote try please) to become an expert in the category before proceeding. Not because i need to have the best of anything (well.. sometimes maybe i do) but because i enjoy it immensely. I enjoy the process. I learn in the process as well..

Ive never felt this way when i was buying tech for anything else ever. I am in for give or take a month now, reading, discussing, watching ( i think i watched all of Zeos Reviews..) and instead of things clearing up, i am more confused than ever! I feel i need another year to learn more, try things out for my self and then maybe, maybe decide what might be best for me!!

Nevertheless, that wasnt a rant by the way, just an intro . I am, well somewhat, drawn to some closed back cans and while i am very hesitant (lol) i need some more advice!

Im in for a sub 200 closed back. Preferably over ear. So long story short, i will be listening to music in my office, my living room and on planes (long haul flights and short flights almost every other month). Thats it. Metal/Rock/Blues/Lofi/indies/ trip hop sometimes(bass!) etc etc. I like bass a lot, but i prefer it when it is smooth and not over accentuated. I want to experience something more than the only pair of headphones i own which is a sound intone cx-05 :D..

I have these 4 in my amazon cart and i want your views.

BeyerDynamic dt770 Pro 80ohm
1More Triple Driver (with graphene, i hope)
Cooler Master MH752
AKG K553 PRO

Please, please do suggest anything else you might think would be a good idea to check out..

This is what i think. I am concerned about non detachable cables ( fixable on the dt770s i know).

I am also, very very mildly concerned about on ear pads but i guess i could get used to them if the 1mores are that better? The fact that they are a bit more “portable” is also a plus..

Is there a big reason in why i should get the DT770’s instead of the triple driver if the price difference is 30 pounds and if i could use the extra “pirtability” of the 1mores?

I love, love, love sleeper contenders that kill their “betters” for less (MH752) and im very very curious but something tells me that my other options are superior in one way or another..

I cannot try them, but i might be able to order two and return one..

I also forgot to mention that i would like to get a nice not overly expensive ( i meant cheap there..) portable amp. Would a fiio a3 suffice with any of the options?

Thanks!!
So now you are a expert? No one is and yes I got that was kind of tounge and cheek what you said. Yes it is hard to pick a pair of cans if you don’t have a place to check them out. Yes it is hard to find places that even have a few to checkout any. Amazon is a good place as hey have a nice return policy but will ban you if you over use it.

Sep 15, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 21
Comfort.
Triple Drivers sound pretty decent for their price point,but because they sit on the ear,as opposed to over the ear,like the DT770,it can become quite fatiguing after just a short time.

Thats it. Metal/Rock/Blues/Lofi/indies/ trip hop sometimes(bass!) etc etc. I like bass a lot, but i prefer it when it is smooth and not over accentuated.
Metal and rock need different sounds,depending upon what you call metal. Hip/hop & trip hop is an entirely different bag. LoFi as well.

Your tastes run a fairly wide gamut of genres that each need a particular set of sound sigs to sound fantastic. Youre wanting an all-arounder for under 200 quid,and that might be tough to find. Frankly I cant think of a single headphone in your price point that is gonna rock each genre well. If I were forced to choose just one,I'd go for the DT770s,but dont expect miracles with blues/metal,unless youre into neu-metal. For the other genres they will sound pretty good.,assuming you dont mind hot treble.

Sep 16, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 21
So now you are a expert? No one is and yes I got that was kind of tounge and cheek what you said. Yes it is hard to pick a pair of cans if you don’t have a place to check them out. Yes it is hard to find places that even have a few to checkout any. Amazon is a good place as hey have a nice return policy but will ban you if you over use it.

Hi Buke9, i guess my post did not make a good job with what i intended to transfer so my bad. I am an engineer so trust me, i know what makes an expert, i know what takes to say that someone is an expert. Thats the reason i said i TRY. Thats just my way of transferring that i always kill myself over research. Since English is not my first language that might have not been the best way to express that. I nevertheless think that since you also said that you got this was a tongue and cheek, mentioning it was not required :)

And everything else i said, i wanted it to resonate as a good thing. That its a good thing i cant decide and that i like that i need to dive deeper.

In any case! As for amazon, i have been using amazon for north of 10 years now. This is a special case and for that i dont think they will have a problem when i only returned 2-3 products out of the hundreds i bought over the years.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 21
Comfort.
Triple Drivers sound pretty decent for their price point,but because they sit on the ear,as opposed to over the ear,like the DT770,it can become quite fatiguing after just a short time.

Metal and rock need different sounds,depending upon what you call metal. Hip/hop & trip hop is an entirely different bag. LoFi as well.

Your tastes run a fairly wide gamut of genres that each need a particular set of sound sigs to sound fantastic. Youre wanting an all-arounder for under 200 quid,and that might be tough to find. Frankly I cant think of a single headphone in your price point that is gonna rock each genre well. If I were forced to choose just one,I'd go for the DT770s,but dont expect miracles with blues/metal,unless youre into neu-metal. For the other genres they will sound pretty good.,assuming you dont mind hot treble.

Thanks for the reply! You make some good points.

I would say yes, i am indeed looking for an all-rounder. But, since i am listening to Rock/Metal 80% of the time, i would like to satisfy that genre first. Just to be more specific, in a typical day, i will be listening to Prog Metal for most of the day (Tool, karnivool, tesseract, maybe some other rock genres like Clutch, Metallica etc) and i might throw some glass animals in the evening when i'm relaxing on the couch.

Another reason i am hesitant on the 770s is the fact that they are not as portable as other pairs. I do travel and for the moment being, this will be the pair i will be taking with me.

Furthermore, the headphones i have now are strictly on-ear. A lot smaller pads than the ones on the 1mores and i can wear them for a couple of hours at a time. The pads are nowhere near as comfy as the ones on the 1mores look at least. So maybe, i guess, i would be able to handle the 1mores? Nevertheless i get that dt770s, and every true over-ear with a nice pad, will be way more comfortable.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #6 of 21
so let me congratulate you on making effort to research before hand, usually people dont and just buy the first can they think is good based on the larger the following for that specific brand/can.

now,

BeyerDynamic dt770 Pro 80ohm : no, just no, not for what you needs and utility.

1More Triple Driver (with graphene, i hope) : its an on earish headphone, seal isnt good for travel and it feels cheaply made. also, big whoop its got graphine, why do you hope it has it? you gonna take it out and play with it? lol

Cooler Master MH752: not for travel use, seal isnt good and also cheaply made.

AKG K553 PRO: now this is mixed, the sound is typical AKG sound so you'll have to demo that first. ive never demo'd them but ive read some stuff about it as i was looking for a cheapy can for work. maybe try before you buy with the AKG.

if you're looking for an all rounder can that has detachable cables and can be used for travel aldo and decent seal with no ANC. (either get good anc and pay 400+ or none. cheap ANC doesnt work well and if anything ruins your experience.)

maybe try the Focal Listen Pro, its portable, detachable cable and decent sound signature for what youre paying. but again try before you buy for any can, cant stress that enough.

maybe try sennheiser, or sony.

Sep 16, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #7 of 21
BeyerDynamic dt770 Pro 80ohm : no, just no, not for what you needs and utility.

I guess that is based on the fact that they are not portable? Anything to do with their sound sig?

1More Triple Driver (with graphene, i hope) : its an on earish headphone, seal isnt good for travel and it feels cheaply made. also, big whoop its got graphine, why do you hope it has it? you gonna take it out and play with it? lol

I read a lot of reviews that say that the ones with titanium instead of graphene (copper ones) dont sound nearly as good as the ones with the graphene (the silver ones). I also heard that build is top notch?

Cooler Master MH752: not for travel use, seal isnt good and also cheaply made.

These are based on Takstar 82s which i know people have them for years.

I see you have B&O H6 in your signature, can you recommend those by any chance? I can possibly get them for under 200 second hand or open box.

Sep 16, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #8 of 21
I guess that is based on the fact that they are not portable? Anything to do with their sound sig?

I read a lot of reviews that say that the ones with titanium instead of graphene (copper ones) dont sound nearly as good as the ones with the graphene (the silver ones). I also heard that build is top notch?

These are based on Takstar 82s which i know people have them for years.

I see you have B&O H6 in your signature, can you recommend those by any chance? I can possibly get them for under 200 second hand or open box.

The DT770 definitely arent portable, they're quite heavy and cumbersome for every day use. I wouldn't recommend them for travelling at all, the sound is fair for what they are, but there are headphones for a tiny bit more that sound better.

When i demo'd the 1more it was the black version/graphene i suppose, and i didnt enjoy the sound signature. I also didnt like the fitment nor the build quality, it didnt appeal to me at all and I would be hard pressed to suggest them to anyone.

I've never tried Takstar 82s so I can't comment on their sound signature.

as for the B&O H6 (Gen2), they're great, i love them for every day cans to use with my DAP/Mobile Phone and DS4 controller for my PS4 Pro to watch netflix/movies/game.
That being said, they're not analytical at all, they do have a tuned sound, I personally enjoy B&Os house sound so thats why i like these and the H9.
I'd be careful buying open box in general, unless you can see it before hand via in person or photos.
They also dont seal as well as other cans, so on flights/noisey public transit or environment you may hear a tiny bit of noise coming in. but not enough to seriously bother your listening experience.
They're very comfortable for long listening periods, i think the longest ive used them was 6hrs non-stop and only took them off to try another pair haha.

Sep 16, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #12 of 21
Would you be so kind to mention some of these? :)
Well the sound for the DT 770 Pro, according to my ears and taste/understanding, its a well rounded typical sound headphone. Its not absolutely neutral but it does have a nice "neutral like" tone.
It has good mids and a good amount of low end, the highs arent as sharp as the higher ended 1770 pros. the best way i could describe it, is despite being a studio headphone, its got a very "popular music sound".
Most people wont be disappointed with that sound signature, but for enthusiasts maybe, its lacking a bit in the highs for that chim/clarity/sparkle.

Sep 16, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #13 of 21
Well the sound for the DT 770 Pro, according to my ears and taste/understanding, its a well rounded typical sound headphone. Its not absolutely neutral but it does have a nice "neutral like" tone.
It has good mids and a good amount of low end, the highs arent as sharp as the higher ended 1770 pros. the best way i could describe it, is despite being a studio headphone, its got a very "popular music sound".
Most people wont be disappointed with that sound signature, but for enthusiasts maybe, its lacking a bit in the highs for that chim/clarity/sparkle.

That is awesomely helpful too but i meant if you could very kindly mention some options for a tiny bit more :)

Sep 16, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #14 of 21
That is awesomely helpful too but i meant if you could very kindly mention some options for a tiny bit more :)
You could maybe check out the Sony MDR-1Am2, i heard they're very well built, detachable cable, comfortable, light for long hours of listening, versatile (scales well with amp, but efficient enough to be powered by anything. even a casette player!)
and fairly affordable. the sound signature is also a more "pop/rock/mainstream music" sony signature but i've listened to metal on sony cans before and they do a good job. if you're able to i'd say demo this in store, as its probably common enough to be available in store for demo.

Sep 16, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #15 of 21
Just get an HD25, seals well even when its on ear. Pretty much unbreakable, can wear in rain, snow and whatever. Doesn't even need an amp. I think its still one of the best portable headphones you can get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back