Help me decide on an IEM under $150
Apr 17, 2015 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tru\head

New Head-Fier
Hi guys-

I'm looking for a general use IEM, target price around $100 or $150.  Source device is android phone (htc one)

Ergonomics- I will be traveling, so I need something that is not too bulky and is comfortable and has decent isolation. Would really like something that I could wear when my head is on a pillow and isn't painfully uncomfortable. So if it has a profile that doesn't stick out too much that would be great. Doesn't have to be for sports but shouldn't have any problems wearing them walking for extended period. 

Sound signature- Prefer detailed mids over the bass quantity, without being too detailed that is killing my ears with siblance from a 192kbps or 256k mp3. So something closer to a grado sound signature side of things than a beyer dt770.

Some observations on different models I have considered thus far:

RHA MA750-  Strongly considering this one due to praise of sq and best build quality. The ridiculous cable length and bulkiness of the cable and the weight of the buds is holding me back though. I don't want them to be falling out of my ears every minute.

Westone UM Pro 10- Seems like the ergonomics winner as I've read nothing but good things about the fit and has great praise for sound. Probably the most i would want to spend. 

Etymonics HF5-   Seen a lot of praise for the neutral sound and best isolation but getting it to fit perfectly seems to be absolutely key. Also looks like they stick out kinda far?

Shure SE215 -    Was initially going to get these but trying to get a little more neutral sounding iem if I can. I could EQ down the lows I guess?

Open to suggestions of others i've missed..

Thoughts? Thanks!!!

Apr 18, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 4
Thank you, after a hard decision I went with GR07 BE.

Its funny how I could have got by with $30 earbuds, but the quest for the better sound always seems to win out in the end and trump the other factors.  Sort of like a drug addiction... or putting more on your plate than you can possibly eat.  And I have a feeling that these iems will be good enough to cause me to revamp my entire home setup, which is mediocre at best with dt990, schiit valhalla and a horrible dac. My wallet is not ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back