Help me decide on a good Redbook source--for $250 or less.
Dec 5, 2004 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

aeriyn

Headphoneus Supremus
No DVD players. I've already got one, and I find its Redbook performance to be merely adequate (compared to my friend's NAD C521i).

Anyhow, let's work this out. I don't know a lot of what's good around this price range, but so far I've seen a few things that I like. Rotel RCD-950 and the NAD C521i seem to be well-thought of CDPs (and I've auditioned a C521i, and like it a good deal, but can't seem to find any used), and I just recently saw an Arcam Alpha 8 on eBay with a very tempting price. I've heard lots of good about the Arcam line.

So, any other suggestions? I'd like to hear them. ^^

Dec 5, 2004 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 16
Hmm, what about the Adcom GCD-575? Heard some interesting things about it... anyone have any experience with this player?

Dec 5, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 16
NAD c541i is a good one, and can be found used for around that much.

Dec 6, 2004 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 16
I'm not interested in turning my PC into my main source component. My hard drive space is limited, and if I was going to pop CDs into the CD-ROM, I'd rather just have a dedicated CDP. =P

Kirosia, where have you seen the C541i for 250ish?

Dec 6, 2004 at 4:55 AM Post #6 of 16
I recommend the cheap DAC-AH non-oversampling DAC. I think it's like $135ish + shipping from Hong Kong (40ish). You could use coax from your DVD player and optical from your chaintech. It's a two for one upgrade for both your sources.

I like the non oversampling sound with delicate highs which should tame highish recordings like Aikawa Nanase
tongue.gif

You could do some mods later on to this thing which should further improve it.

Dec 6, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I recommend the cheap DAC-AH non-oversampling DAC. I think it's like $135ish + shipping from Hong Kong (40ish). You could use coax from your DVD player and optical from your chaintech. It's a two for one upgrade for both your sources.

I like the non oversampling sound with delicate highs which should tame highish recordings like Aikawa Nanase
tongue.gif

You could do some mods later on to this thing which should further improve it.

This is a very good idea... I'll look into it. I'm still not closed on CDPs however, because I listen to the standalone player much more often than the chaintech (in fact I only listen to MP3s that friends send me on the chaintech, mostly use it for games).

also looking to sell the DVDP to offset the cost of the new source. while I have money that I can freely spend, I'd still like to keep as much of it as possible, as I'm sure you know.

My purse is really going to hate me next week, I also need to buy some clothes and I've been wanting a pair of maryjanes too... but new source > shoes, right now. XD

Dec 6, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #8 of 16
The 563SA is a universal player though which is nice. Of course if you don't have any high res stuff, it doesn't matter.

>>>>I'd still like to keep as much of it as possible, as I'm sure you know.

Gotta save up for those jpop/rock CDs also eh? I quit that a while ago. It was just too insane and I sort of lost interest :/

>>>>My purse is really going to hate me next week, I also need to buy some clothes and I've been wanting a pair of maryjanes too...

Sorry for your walle.... purse. Now that's something that's not said too often.
biggrin.gif

>>>>but new source > shoes, right now. XD

If you're at home listening to your system, there's no need to go outside (and thus wear clothes
tongue.gif
)

Dec 6, 2004 at 5:36 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
I'm not interested in turning my PC into my main source component. My hard drive space is limited, and if I was going to pop CDs into the CD-ROM, I'd rather just have a dedicated CDP. =P

Kirosia, where have you seen the C541i for 250ish?

I've seen em pop up in the FS forums here for around that much recently. They used to go for 270 minimum, but the price has died down. Try a WTB ad and you might get lucky.

Dec 6, 2004 at 5:45 AM Post #10 of 16
Think I've decided on an Adcom GCD-575. All the reviews I've read say that it's a very warm and analog-ey sounding CDP, and it's more inexpensive than the NAD. I've heard that NAD tends to be a bit dark, too.

lan, I don't buy the Japan versions of the albums. the overseas (taiwan) versions are just fine for me XD and I try not to order from yesasia as their shipping charges are horrid.

Dec 6, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #11 of 16
Yeah, $25-30 for a Jap. CD is quite expensive. Korean CDs on the other hand are damn cheap at around $10 a pop.

Also, the NAD isn't what I would call dark, it leans closer to the bright side. But, that may just be me.
biggrin.gif

(I have the 542)

Dec 6, 2004 at 6:19 AM Post #12 of 16
Adcom GCD-575 is like 15 years old or something. Certainly digital technology has progressed since then. But if this is using those same chips in the nonoversampling DACs people like now, it could be good.

Dunno if it's a deal breaker for you but I'd wonder if this thing plays CD-Rs. Also it has a wired (not wireless) remote? Oldschool
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2004 at 2:27 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Adcom GCD-575 is like 15 years old or something. Certainly digital technology has progressed since then. But if this is using those same chips in the nonoversampling DACs people like now, it could be good.

Dunno if it's a deal breaker for you but I'd wonder if this thing plays CD-Rs. Also it has a wired (not wireless) remote? Oldschool
biggrin.gif

The big thing for me was the D/A converter in this unit was supposed to be good, AND that most (all) of the controls are on the front panel of the unit. My headphone rig sits right next to my computer; a remote control is pointless. =P

This unit's supposed to sound quite "analog" which is the sort of sound I want. My current source (the pioneer) sounds rather digital and plain. If I had more money to spend ($250 was like, really optimistic =P) I'd definitely go with a NAD or something. I still might, since I've heard NAD before and liked the sound.

Dunno about the CD-Rs for the adcom, maybe maybe not. But I don't use CD-Rs at home anyhow, so I guess it would not be a huge loss.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kentamcolin
Here is your Adcom for $150! I have no relation to the seller.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....lay&1106077805

Yeah I saw that. I sent him a message. =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back