Help me decide on a desktop setup?
Jan 7, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #16 of 24
  Idk what im looking for haha, I'm a n00b. I just know I need a setup that included good bass on the headphones, the fireflies, and the monitors. I listen to allot of house, hiphop, pop, and jazz.

one pair of cans, the fireflies are the dac/amp and power supply, and I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm still new at this as I said. I am just taking advantage of the opportunity to get into this for free. I don't know much.

Do yourself and your generous grandfather a favor by listening before you buy.  More research and design planning is important as well.

The HD 800 has excellent bass.  What it does not have is a sound signature in which bass is prominent.  If you want a dark sounding high end can, look at the LCD-2 & 3.  Also spend some time here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #18 of 24
Thank you very much for the advice. I dont exactly have anywhere I can try things out around me but I am sure I can find some sort of way. I usually see the LCD-X or LDC-3 paired with the Fireflies and I really lied the idea of them but the ear cups seem as if they would aggravate me after a while. I'm a graphic designer and programmer so I sit around and listen to music while I work for long periods of time. Think the LCD line will hold up for that long without killing my head?

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #19 of 24
  Thank you very much for the advice. I dont exactly have anywhere I can try things out around me but I am sure I can find some sort of way. I usually see the LCD-X or LDC-3 paired with the Fireflies and I really lied the idea of them but the ear cups seem as if they would aggravate me after a while. I'm a graphic designer and programmer so I sit around and listen to music while I work for long periods of time. Think the LCD line will hold up for that long without killing my head?

Headphone comfort is a very individual thing.

Planars tend to be relatively heavy.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #22 of 24
  I've also seen that Audeze is dropping some new headphones, the el-8s, anyone know anything about those? they look a whole hell of allot more comfortable. 

They aren't supposed to be on the market until next month.  So only advance reviewers, like Jude--and maybe those in Vegas this week for the CES, have heard them.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #23 of 24
Well I guess ill have to try to get my hands on some LCDs and test them out. As far as the speakers though, nobody answered that. Suppose I have my fireflies and some LCD-3s, how can I throw in the yamaha monitors too? would I need to connect another amp with speaker out to the fireflies or something? sorry if my question is dumb 
frown.gif

Jan 7, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #24 of 24
  Well I guess ill have to try to get my hands on some LCDs and test them out. As far as the speakers though, nobody answered that. Suppose I have my fireflies and some LCD-3s, how can I throw in the yamaha monitors too? would I need to connect another amp with speaker out to the fireflies or something? sorry if my question is dumb 
frown.gif

As I referenced in post #4 above, you need to tell us what your overall system will consist of. 

It may also depend on which version of the Firefly you get.   Mine has only a usb input for the DAC.  I know that another version has an extra type of input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back