Help me decide on a desktop setup?
Jan 7, 2015 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

liquidlotus

New Head-Fier
So I recently found out that my grandfather is an underground audiophile! After finding this out I told him I am interested in the world of audio and he said he would buy me 1 desktop dac/amp and one pair of cans. I said whats my price range and he said get whatever I want....this is not at ALL normal of him. Anyway since he said that I have been doing a little research but im stuck. I am almost set on the Woo Audio WA7/d Fireflies. I wanted the HD800s as well because I have used them before and besides the obvious benefits of owning them I REALLY like their breathability. Id like to have the Fireflies, a pair of cans that pair well with them and are bass heavy, and a pair of Yamaha HS6s somewhere in the mix (I'm buying those). 

1.What headphones should I pair with the Fireflies?
2.Would I have to connect another dac or receiver with speaker output to the fireflies to include them into the setup?

Also I don't want to super break my grandfathers bank so no 3k cans or anything. 

edit: if possible, please reply answering the two questions separately. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 24
I'm pretty sure HD800 isn't a bass can. So if you want bass, try something different. I think it's easier for us if you give us a specific number to work with. Also what genres do you listen to?
I guess you're looking for v-shaped cans?

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 24
  So I recently found out that my grandfather is an underground audiophile! After finding this out I told him I am interested in the world of audio and he said he would buy me 1 desktop dac/amp and one pair of cans. I said whats my price range and he said get whatever I want....this is not at ALL normal of him. Anyway since he said that I have been doing a little research but im stuck. I am almost set on the Woo Audio WA7/d Fireflies. I wanted the HD800s as well because I have used them before and besides the obvious benefits of owning them I REALLY like their breathability. Id like to have the Fireflies, a pair of cans that pair well with them and are bass heavy, and a pair of Yamaha HS6s somewhere in the mix (I'm buying those). 

1.What headphones should I pair with the Fireflies?
2.Would I have to connect another dac or receiver with speaker output to the fireflies to include them into the setup?

Also I don't want to super break my grandfathers bank so no 3k cans or anything. 

edit: if possible, please reply answering the two questions separately. 

You didn't mention what is/will be upline from the Fireflies.

Are you talking about getting 3 different cans or just 2?

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 24
Idk what im looking for haha, I'm a n00b. I just know I need a setup that included good bass on the headphones, the fireflies, and the monitors. I listen to allot of house, hiphop, pop, and jazz.

one pair of cans, the fireflies are the dac/amp and power supply, and I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm still new at this as I said. I am just taking advantage of the opportunity to get into this for free. I don't know much.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #6 of 24
Get the firefly's and wait for the Hifiman HE1000 to come out. The HE1000 should be about the best out there! Of course everyone has there own opinion, but I'm sure no one object to it being one fine choice.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #9 of 24

Get the firefly's and wait for the Hifiman HE1000 to come out. The HE1000 should be about the best out there! Of course everyone has there own opinion, but I'm sure no one object to it being one fine choice.

no way the firefly can drive the HE1000s properly

Unkown--but I suspect that they will drive them properly.  HiFiMan's latest offering have been easier to drive--not only from the HE 6 but also in comparison to the HE 500.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #11 of 24

Unkown--but I suspect that they will drive them properly.  HiFiMan's latest offering have been easier to drive--not only from the HE 6 but also in comparison to the HE 500.

The new amp to pair with them (EF1000s) are massive, so they must be another power hunger can like HE6s. Also I don't think the firefly can drive the HE560s properly.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #13 of 24

The new amp to pair with them (EF1000s) are massive, so they must be another power hunger can like HE6s. Also I don't think the firefly can drive the HE560s properly.

That would greatly surprise me, as they drive my HE 500 just fine.  They won't properly drive the HE 6 though.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #14 of 24

I would be cautious.  In the past new HiFiMan models have had early production difficulties, requiring changes and repairs.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #15 of 24
Have you tried it or are you assuming?

Of course not, but it is a more logical assumption
biggrin.gif

I don't have a firefly either but I do own a HE560. I find that all my speaker amps sound better than my EHHA and beta22 when pairing with the HE560.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back