Help me decide my next project!
Dec 1, 2013 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Modular

100+ Head-Fier
It's getting cold outside and I'm spending way more time drinking good beer, listening to great music and musing about my next audio related project. 

I have good soldering skills and have already built a Garage 1217 Project Sunrise 2 (what a great amp btw!). I'm leaning towards building either a solid state amp or a new DAC. I've been searching and trying to find some good recommendations on which amp/DAC I should go with. I'll have to choose one or the other at this point, as one project at a time is the most I'm willing to deal with. 

So here's my question in a nutshell. What would you suggest for a moderately skilled solderer in both the solid state and DAC realms right now? 

My current DAC's are the Behringer UCA202 and my X-fi Xtremegamer, so I'd like ideas that are an upgrade to those both. Also, for the amp, I've been looking at a Beta 22 (looks amazing!) or an M3, but would love other suggestions as I'm sure there are some better options out there at this time. 

I'd like to keep cost to 3-400 USD, but if I were to build a Beta, I know it would be more that. I'd just have to buy the parts in waves so the wifey didn't get to angry :)

Thanks!

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #2 of 3
Originally Posted by Modular /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd just have to buy the parts in waves so the wifey didn't get to angry :)

Thanks!

I have that same problem...

Dec 1, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #3 of 3
Hi;
I built a M3 last year.  My total cost for the build was right at $400.00.  This includes the amp board, power supply board, an E12 and transformer.  The $400 figure does not include the casing or anything related to the casing (RCA's, power entry module, knobs, etc) I couldn't be happier with this amp.  Another one to consider is the  EHHA Rev A.  There is a kit available from Glass Jar for around $300 add $50 for a pair of E12s.  The Glass jar kit is very inclusive, even includes transformers and tubes.  Boxing it up is going to add to your cost.  Another great sounding amp!  Hope this helps.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back