Help me decide if I should ditch my Shure SRH940 please
Jan 8, 2012 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

PomPWNius

500+ Head-Fier
about 4 days ago I received my Shure SRH940. I love the detail, but I don't think it is that great for the music I listen to. I listen to hard rock/metal. I feel like the instruments are all together, and its hard to differentiate sometimes. Also, I think that the vocals seem far away, with the guitar being the main instrument (If I could get a headphone that removed all instruments other than vocals completely, I would get it lol). Also, after about 30 minutes it gets pretty uncomfortable, the headband digs into my head. Other than that I can hear new things in the song, but thats about it. I have an Etymotic HF5, which I think sounds just as good. I want something that will give me a different sound I guess. Is there anything out there that has better instrument separation, and makes male vocals the main focus? Also, I have to be able to get it with the money for selling these with all accesories, in perfect condition, in box. Probably around $230. Can be open or closed. I would like to be able to use these on planes (The only time I listen to music when not at home), but I can definitely use the Ety on a plane.

Edit: Someone on the FS section is willing to trade his Grado Sr325i for a shure srh940. Would the 325i suit my needs?

Jan 8, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 15
The ibuds will do that. Leave everything out except the vocals.

But seriously, the 325is will do good for rock/metal if you can pair it with something warm. I found it ear piercingly sharp, but you might like it.

Jan 8, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #4 of 15
So do you think I should make the trade? If I dont like them I can actually sell them for more, than I bought my 940 for ($200)
And I want at least one other person to agree.

Jan 8, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
well what is "sharp". And are there any other headphones to consider?

All Fiio products have a 'warm' forgiving sound signature - clever business move since many people using them
may have bright headphones and/or poor recordings.

Jan 8, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 15
What I mean is, the treble is too piercing for me with the 325is, I have to take them off after a whilebecause it hurts my ear. I sold them because of that, but they had excellent detail and pace.

Jan 8, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
How is the instrument separation on the 325i? I think that is really what I am looking for. That and vocals that sound like the singers mouth is 5 inches from your ear.

Excellent and the presentation is very forward indeed. Very intimate sounding with jazz and vocals, quite face
 slamming with metal and other vigorous genres.

You're onto a bargain. 940 for 325i.

Over here the 325i is $440 and the 940 is $299.

Jan 8, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 15
 Excellent and the presentation is very forward indeed. Very intimate sounding with jazz and vocals, quite face
 slamming with metal and other vigorous genres.

You're onto a bargain. 940 for 325i.

Over here the 325i is $440 and the 940 is $299.

Before I pull the trigger, can someone tell me how they will sound with this song? DONT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT YOUTUBE COMPRESSION!!!. Lol they say that everytime. All I want to know is if the vocals sound much louder than the guitar (They sound quieter than guitar on srh940), and if you can easily hear each instrument separated.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJ8f17iPT8[/VIDEO]

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
This is the last thing I want to know before I go ahead and buy the GRado SR325i. Also, how do the sennheiser HD25 1 ii compare?

HD25-II has a reputation as being the more forward of all Sennheisers, it's fairly punchy as you'd expect for a DJ headphone.

However, it still pales in comparison to the 325i as a rock headphone for guitar reproduction ~ 

Just found a 320kbps rip of that track from 'Rise Against'

Good separation on the 325i ~ vocals are reasonable but there is no question that it's the recording that presents the guitar forward
 of the vocals. Typical of this genre, vocals are a tad distant.

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #15 of 15
THANK YOU. Thats exactly what I needed to know. I just pm'd the guy selling the grado. It indeed is the recording putting te vocals back, but with the srh940 it sounds like the guitars are twice as loud as the vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back