Help me decide - IEM under $1,000
Jul 9, 2020 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

CDJ123

New Head-Fier
Help me decide –

I am looking for a custom IEM under $1,000 but would like it closer to $500. I am an audiophile with a nice home setup and subscribe to the Harman curve (at least in my home setup). Based on reading reviews, looking at YouTube, and looking at frequency curves on Crinacle, I have come up with the following list.

Fearless S8V - $649 for custom molds. Follows the IEM Harman curve closely. Not all that much written on them and few comparisons.

Ultimate Ears UE7 Pro/UE7 CSX - $799. The curve looks like the Fearless but down a few DB from 1.5kh to 8.5kh. This is flatter and closer to “the real music” and less in your face.

Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered (UERR) - $849. The curve is similar to the EU7 but the bass is flatter. From reviews, this is what Capital records helped develop and you would hear the music without emphasis.

Campfire Andromeda (2020)
- $1,099. Almost identical curve to the UE7. Too expensive and not custom.

Hidition - $XXX. Difficult to get in the US.

I am leaning towards the UE7. A more established company than Fearless. The CSX has an app for modifying the sound which is nice, but I suspect the Pro may be a better monitor.

Help me decide.

Jul 9, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 16
@CDJ123 - I would also look at Westone closely for customs. I bought a pair of AC2's i would say 5-6 years ago, they were about $400 all-in at the time and were purchased through my audiologist. They still fit pretty well but the left side unseals occasionally and I have to push back in. I would buy again from them but I just don't feel the need for another custom, especially when I want to bluetooth. I have the ES3's and got a Plussound BT cable when i want to BT and I love them. The problem for me with customs is there are no adjustments you can make after you get them, they either fit and sound good or they don't. YMMV.

Jul 13, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #8 of 16
TRN 2 pin BT cable with Westone AC2
image.jpg

Jul 29, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #9 of 16
A used* Hyla TE-5B or even CE-5? :D

Seriously though, it often comes down to taste. Even a $30 on Amazon might be more inline with what one considers “good sounding”, even if less “technically proficient” than a much more expensive IEM.

If searching though the classifieds*, can find many IEMs ~50% or less of MSRP, which might be another way to step in.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #11 of 16
Even though it is a bit higher priced, you can get the Andromeda + aftermarket custom tips. I have showed so many people the Andromeda and even at audio shows, it is worth the extra price imo

Aug 11, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #12 of 16
I finally got my UE Reference Remastered. They took a while given all that is going on with COVID-19. Unfortunately, the left molding is not perfect and affects the sound. They also did not return my molds which I am not happy about. I am on the fence if I just want to return them for a refund or give them a second chance to get the left molding right. They have very little soundstage until I keep adjusting the left bud and hold it in place and they come to life. They are neutral. Nothing jumps out at you. On one hand, I am thinking that this is what high end audio rooms are generally seeking, and they do sound nice. On the other hand, a more Harman Curve may be more enjoyable (something like the Moondrop S8 or Fearless S8Z). And, since I am new to IEM, it takes some getting used to the in-head sound you get vs. the sound of an open headphone or room speakers. I am not sure how much this is the nature of IEM vs. these specific monitors. I am also wondering if a non-molded may be a better choice. Hmmmm. Comment and suggestions welcome.

Aug 11, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #13 of 16
Can you return them? I would suggest getting used to the sound of them for a little bit and then see if you like the sound. At least for me, I always have fit issues on the first one. You can ask for a refit on them and maybe for your molds back. Your molds will most likely come back slightly altered to their needs to create the CIEM.

The more intimate sound is part of the IEM experience but certain IEMs can create a more out of your head sound than others. Even then, it is the in your head sound stage when comparing to headphones/speakers. The UERM are great for monitoring which generally means little emphasis on certain frequencies, but a lot of people like it for listening depending on their music tastes. Definitely not a "fun" sounding IEM. I haven't heard the Moondrop or Fearless IEMs so I can't comment on it, but I can definitely vouch for the Andromedas if you want to be impressed with the sound of a nice IEM. Out of all the headphones/earphones I have showed "normal" people, I always picked the Andromeda first for their first HiFi experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back