Help me decide, hd 201, hd 202, or htx 7
Apr 18, 2010 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

5h0073r

New Head-Fier
Like the tittle said, I can't really decide on what to get. I want the best alternative for gaming (fps), music, and portability. So far the Htx7 appeals to me more than the other two considering that it look of it is pretty nice and stands out from all the other headphones especially red. The hd 201 on the other hand looks kinda bulky and the hd 202 has its long wires which is kinda of a pain to carry around. For the sound part, I'm pretty sure the hds sounds better than the htx7 but the htx 7 has more sound stage which I thought would be an advantage to gaming. However in toronto I can only find the htx7 for $50, hd202 for $40 and the hd 201 fro $25. So I'm taking consideration on all of these factors, price, portability, and sound quality. Please give me a suggestion and feel free to post any other alternatives.

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 11
The RP-HTX7 is pretty nice, good for its price if the price isn't too high. For gaming I'm not so sure about the RP-HTX7, sound stage is not its strong point if you ask me.

Why don't you save up for something better or a different headphone for gaming?

P.S. Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry for your wallet...

Apr 18, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 11
Listening to the HD202 right now and it's just meh. They do isolate a fair amount, but the bass is just too much and muddy for my tastes.

Haven't listened to the HD201 or HTX7. I'd advise to stay away from the HD202, luckily this pair isn't mine. And also the cable on the HD201 is also 10 ft long.

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 11
I have the HD202s. And as said by hobbang, the bass simply over empowers all the detail, soundstage isn't great, and it's all VERY muddy. The HD202 comes with a cable winder/roll-up, so you don't have to walk around looking like some idiot.

And since the 201s and the little sister of the 202s, I wouldn't recommend going anywhere near there. Would anyone consider AT for gaming?

Apr 18, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #6 of 11
I've had the HD202 and RP-HTX7. The HD202 is rather well-built but that's about all it's got going for it. The RP-HTX7 are more balanced, more controlled, and yet more fun. Neither is an analytical phone but the HD202 lacks refinement rather badly. And of course the Panasonics are far more suited for portable use as they're not too big and the cord is short.

Apr 18, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #7 of 11
+1 for the HTX7. Of the three they have the best "fun factor", they are smooth and have a good bass.

Regards
K.

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #8 of 11
ty for the response, but does anyone know how well the htx7s are for gaming? I don't really need them to be the perfect headsets fro gaming, just enough to hear footsteps around the corner.

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #10 of 11
HD 201 is very very very comfortable, but HD 202 has stronger bass (let it be muddy or whatever). Unless you're getting an amp, HD 201 is not going to give you enough bass for gaming, but the soundstage is ok and sufficient. I find HD 201 is satisfying enough for light listening session.

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #11 of 11
Ty for all the replies and thanks for the help, so I finally got the htx 7 and I have 2 say that they sound clear although somewhat hollow straight out of the box.But after a few hours of burn in with pink and white noise the hollowness is gone or I got use 2 it. The htx7 definitely sounds better than the HD 202 of my friend's. The HD 202 has nice bass which the htx7 lacks but it was pretty muddy compared 2 the htx7, I also like 2 mention that my friend's HD 202 has been in use for around 2 years now. I also like to add that the htx7 isn't the best choice for gaming but it's great for portable uses. Well that was my experience excluding HD 201.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back