Help me decide? H140 through optical or iMod
May 16, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #31 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondu999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see... I'm still quite torn up between the two. Also there's the issue of capacity. My music library is over 60GB, and as far as I know no iRiver H100 series can be modded to that capacity yet.

My H120 + my H160 = 80gig!

biggrin.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #32 of 50
Quote:

Hey don't get me wrong. One of the main reasons of my indecision is:

1) how hard is it to mod the internal drive to higher capacity?
2) I haven't heard the iRiver + D10 combo, and hence I have no personal experiences in that regard

2) You HAVE heard it- as you've used the D10 with a computer USB port, as you'll be using the D10 DAC so sound signature will be identical. If you like the sound of the computer/D10 get the iriver.

May 16, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #34 of 50
I'm not sure if it's just me, but somehow I feel that the sound of iMod + D10 is almost identical to using the D10 as a USB DAC. I can't really tell the difference.

May 17, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #37 of 50
Are there any plans in the pipeline for any of the major manufacturers to create a DAP with a good optical out function such as the iRiver H1x0 series?

May 18, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #38 of 50
Ok, Im gonna pipe in and say I have the D10 now with my sennhieser IE8 and ipod classic 160Gb.
I'm very happy with the sound overall but cant help noticing the hiss on some of my lossless files. Really annoying and and would liketo look for the iriver as an optional choice. Although the iriver has smaller memory, I would make the sacrifice of i knew the hiss would be reduced.

May 18, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #39 of 50
Are there any plans in the pipeline for any of the major manufacturers to create a DAP with a good optical out function such as the iRiver H1x0 series? I think that this fact would greatly impact my purchasing decisions :p

May 18, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #40 of 50
Also can anyone who has listened to both comment on the sound properties, such as which one has more soundstage, detail, clarity, highs, lows etc?

Thanks

May 18, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #41 of 50
Sorry for it, but on which DAC would you suggest me with the H140? Can I use the PICO DAC/AMP combo????
If yes it will be much more the awsome!!!!!!

Edit: Does it have optical in at all??

May 19, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #42 of 50
Quote:

Are there any plans in the pipeline for any of the major manufacturers to create a DAP with a good optical out function such as the iRiver H1x0 series? I think that this fact would greatly impact my purchasing decisions :p

I doubt it, the recording and music distribution companies would not allow it, as it makes copying music dap to dap or dap to computer far too easy; well to them it seems to, as it would likely defeat any copy protection encoded in the music. Also there really isnt much call for it anywhere other than these type forums.

Quote:

Also can anyone who has listened to both comment on the sound properties, such as which one has more soundstage, detail, clarity, highs, lows etc?

Thanks

ok well I have both a high end DIYMOD->VCAP rig and iriver->D10 rig and I can say that for detail and clarity the iriver via optical rig wins as well as bass performance being a smidge tighter and more textured with better tonality. the soundstage on the 2 is similar, with perhaps a slight win to the teflon VCAP rig, with a regular VCAP dock or Blackgate LOD its not as good as the iriver->D10 with the bass being very present, but perhaps a little uncontrolled and sloppy. The soundstage is a bit shallower but still quite wide without the TFTF VCAP. More like a sitting a couple of rows back at a concert (with a low ceiling
wink_face.gif
) than being right there with the musicians all around you on stage.
highs have superior sparkle on the D10, but the DIYMOD->TFTF dock does have a certain magical air there that the D10 lacks. If I could mod the D10 with the TFTF caps in the output coupling; I would be in heaven!!

Overall the iriver rig is tighter, more detailed, textured and accurate with better tonality in the bass, while the teflon VCAP rig is more musical and engaging, with better bass slam better suited to rock and some electronica. both are great rigs and if I wasnt so sick; I could be happy with either one of them
rolleyes.gif
these impressions are all IMO, soundstage in particular is a very difficult thing to quantify because each person perceives it in a different way, with different ears

bare in mind that these impressions are both using the Lisa III as amp with the D10 as dac only in the iriver rig. soundstage impressions are more related to using my woody recabled D2000 than IEMs, while detail and clarity I am thinking more of IEMs. these are general impressions and not something I planned out and sat down to do, just general use. I do use the iriver rig more than the DIYMOD rig; as most of my music suits it better and I can forgive the areas it loses out because the areas it wins are more and by a slightly wider margin; its also a tiny bit lighter
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayajoe
Ok, Im gonna pipe in and say I have the D10 now with my sennhieser IE8 and ipod classic 160Gb.
I'm very happy with the sound overall but cant help noticing the hiss on some of my lossless files. Really annoying and and would liketo look for the iriver as an optional choice. Although the iriver has smaller memory, I would make the sacrifice of i knew the hiss would be reduced.

the hiss is because your IEMs are such low impedance and high sensitivity, if you get hiss with your ipod and D10, you will get just as much hiss from iriver as the source isnt the cause of the hiss. What you need is an impedance adapter, which is usually in the form of a mini with female mini in the back with 2 inline resistors in it. this increases the impedance and lowers sensitivity, therefore reducing or ridding you of hisss. head-direct I think sell them as does apuresound and someone else I know, but you can find them on ebay as well. choose something in between 50-75 ohms, you will have to turn the volume on the D10 up a little and maybe use a little more battery, but hiss will be gone. I recommend you dont get a really cheap one as the quality of the resistors wont be too great and since they are directly in the signal path this becomes important. there are ones that are a short cable with the correct connections on either end, this is the type I use as it puts less stress on the jack on your amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405
Sorry for it, but on which DAC would you suggest me with the H140? Can I use the PICO DAC/AMP combo????
If yes it will be much more the awsome!!!!!!

Edit: Does it have optical in at all??

ummm its clearly stated on th pico page and anywhere there are impressions or specs that the pico is USB only; IMO the pico doesnt have anything the D10 doesnt except a nice custom enclosure and small size. D10 is superior in almost every way as it uses the same wolfston dac chip, but has opamp rolling to tune to your headphones/tastes. With the right op-amps and buffers and using via optical D10 = win in all aspects. Even without using Lisa III as amp I prefer D10, USB performance is quite similar, but D10 with OPA2350/AD8616 still equals or betters the pico. only areas the pico (amp section) wins is perhaps a tiny bit sweeter highs and perhaps slightly better neutrality

again ^^ all IMO

May 19, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #43 of 50
qusp - When will I feel the slowness of the 30GB logicboard with 120/240GB HD, while browsing for file, or while playing?
Will it make/have gaps between songs?

I think I have found mainboard with 64mb, its the one with the S/N ending with 1975-A, right??
http://cgi.ebay.com/Logic-Main-Board...3A1%7C294%3A50

May 20, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #44 of 50
I doubt it at that price; the same model number is used for both 30 and 80gb model. that only denotes it being a 5.5g and not 5g logic board. only way you can gaurantee you get the 64mb board is to buy from a seller you trust and one that lists it as 80gb 64mb board, not 30,60,80gb board.

as for when you will notice it, first up, battery life will be reduced as well as battery lifetime because of needing to charge it more often. other times will be browsing and some times gaps, but not so much.

May 20, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #45 of 50
Hey all. After further contemplation, I have decided to go the route of the iMod. I'm not using the rig for monitoring, so I don't really need analytical sound. I prefer "fun," and "engaging" and "musical" qualities more. Thanks all!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back