Help me decide? H140 through optical or iMod
May 15, 2009 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

raymondu999

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there. I have an iBasso D10, and a Sennheiser IE8. Currently I have two options of upgrading. One is get a 5.5G iMod, then get the copper+silver cryo dock with black gate capacitors, or the other is to get the iRiver iHP-120/140 or the ones modded with 32/64GB CF cards and get an optical cable.

Will those of you who have listened to both please give me some input?
frown.gif

May 15, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 50
I have owned both and have compared them side by side. If there is an improvement in H140 Optical against iMod/DIYmodded iPods, it will be quite marginal actually. But then the H140 optical SQ will improve dramatically with better DACs.

Honestly I have abandoned the H120/Optical/DAC/Amp path and returned to modded iPod path because the modded iPod with the right combo of caps can actually sound as good with the same amp.

May 15, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 50
I'm looking at the two possible combos:

iRiver H120/140 + Optical (sysoptic cable) + iBasso D10 + Sennheiser IE8

OR

iMod 5.5G 80GB + ALO Cryo Copper+silver+bg capacitors (I forget the name) + iBasso D10+Sennheiser IE8

May 15, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 50
My vote would go to the H140(thicker than the 120 to put in a larger drive). Having an optical out allowing you to use any DAC is a pretty valuable trait. While the iMod is a wonderful product you will be stuck with the same DAC and be limited by HIGHLY overpriced LODs. Another minor bonus to the iRiver is you can charge it while you listen if you so desired.

May 15, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #5 of 50
Of course if you have home component DAC or high end av pre-amp that gives a nod to the iriver. I doubt any ipod can match a high end DAC sound quality. Newer screens on apple are probably better, but use more power? iriver has things like line in/optical in, LCD remote, tuner, recording fuction (from line in/optical, mic & tuner) I've used my H140 into my home gear.

May 15, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 50
Hi. I'm not exactly a desktop/home audiophile. I'm just a portable one, actually. So the DAP will only be used as I stated above. Let's say for the sake of the argument price isn't a concern.

May 15, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondu999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi. I'm not exactly a desktop/home audiophile. I'm just a portable one, actually. So the DAP will only be used as I stated above. Let's say for the sake of the argument price isn't a concern.

That still doesn't change my opinion. The versatility of having the optical out leaves you much more room for improvement. Like I said the iMod is no slouch but being able to swap you DAC is a sweeeeet bonus. Even if I was a millionaire I would still buy the iRiver. Even if price isn't a concern, price doesn't always equal quality.

May 15, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 50
Hmmm.. all valid points. But there's one more problem as well though - aesthetics. The iRiver looks like something 20 years before the iMod :/

May 15, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #9 of 50
Who gives a flipping monkeys? And at least you won't look like every other sheep with a ipod. Does the ipoo have LCD remote, optical in & out, standard 3.5mm line in & out, internal and external microphone support dictation(and recording) FM tuner (and recording) recording optically to wave? LCD remote? Ability to use LCD remote plus line in/out, optical in/out at the same time.

May 15, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondu999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol. Well... it has 3.5 out.... and line out... :p

I can see your username was aptly chosen :p

Optical line out bypasses the DAC and will use the DAC in your D10, iMod won't do that. Pretty much wasting half of your D10 if you go the iMod route seeing as you don't do home audio you aren't utilizing the DAC.

May 16, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #14 of 50
I still find my ipod based rig superior as far as musicality is concerned, but every other aspect the iriver->D10->Lisa III is pure win.

but really if you are stuck on the looks, then the DIYMOD/IMOD rig still sounds superb especially with the right capped dock (there is more than just OIMP VCAP) and isnt really THAT far behind, not as far as many who have the H140->D10 will have you believe. with a quality dock and amp the iiMOD/DIYMOD is really a very nice sounding rig and I still prefer it for some music

May 16, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #15 of 50
I see... I'm still quite torn up between the two. Also there's the issue of capacity. My music library is over 60GB, and as far as I know no iRiver H100 series can be modded to that capacity yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back