Help me decide guy's!!! HD 600 or Ety's 4s/6's
Jan 22, 2002 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Azumandus

Head-Fier
Hey all am having a serious shopping dilemma. Ever since getting into this forum I've slowly transformed into a headphone fanatic. Right now I really only have koss 35's. I love them there great and all but now am want to see what all you guy's are talking about. I pretty much narrowed it down to either the Ety's 4s/6's or the hd 600. I only have about 250 and also gonna safe to buy a JMT amp. The problem is that I can't decide what to get. HD 600 has as so many good reviews and are like considered one of the the best. Can these headphones handle alot of genras?? I listen alot to classical, jazz, rock, R&B. I also get the impression that these are like the best for the value. Now her comes the ETy's...I've hear so many people describe these as being "a Revelaion"
biggrin.gif
and that give a whole new experience to music. But then I hear the entire up keep of them...and how sucky they sound if you have a bad seal. It all sounds so complicated. Am just a college student looking to gain access to audiophile heaven or atleast put start off on the right foot. So guy's help me convince me one way or another.

p.s My source right now is my MD mz-r700 and a spanking new Sony D-25S. thanks guy's you've all been great
smily_headphones1.gif

P.s Whatever I decide is staying home because if I spend more than 250 not going to suffer the bad luck that is called the NYC transit.

Jan 22, 2002 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 39
Ety
smily_headphones1.gif

More versatile... if you get the 4P, you can get a cable that makes it 4S and be able to run it ampless (which you really shouldn't do with the HD600).
Also more portable (need I explain?). You get isolation too, which can be nice (I love isolation).

The etys can handle any type of music you throw at them, and probably the same for the HD600s.

Jan 22, 2002 at 9:22 AM Post #4 of 39
I warmly recommend Ety Er4 series, but, since you've only got one shot at "audiophile heaven" for a while, you could test your compatibility by using Ety earplugs for a bit. That will show you how difficult (not very for most people) it is to seat them and how tolerant you are of using a canalphone in general. The upkeep (for most people) is quite minimal and nothing to fear.

Because I never heard the Sennheisers, I can't possible say that you shouldn't go with them, however.

You might also think about what perspective you like on things in general. The Ety house style is forward, right-in-the-midst. The Sennheiser house style is more distant, an audience rather than an onstage perspective. (So, I'm told. Remember, I never heard them.)

What do you like? Do you take a seat at the movies close to the screen? Do you always wish at a concert that you were closer? Look at clues like those in order to guess what will please you best between these two very pleasing paths.

You might consider how much isolation you would like. As a college student, if you are boarding rather than commuting, that could be quite a consideration and would put the Ety's in the lead on a fairly objective basis.

In the end, I don't think you will regret either choice, and you may, in time, end up with both. The real question is which you should get first, isn't it?

Jan 22, 2002 at 10:28 AM Post #5 of 39
With out a doubt, go with the Sennheiser HD600.
smily_headphones1.gif

These are the surpreme headphones for classical, and they sound great for jazz, rock and r&b as well. Overall, these are IMO the greatest cans that you can get.
Don't let anything stop you from getting an amp, that is an essential piece in the road to head-fism. Good luck in your journey. =)

Jan 22, 2002 at 11:32 AM Post #6 of 39
Are you in total silence when listening to phones? Is there a TV on, people talking etc.? With any open phones like the HD600's you will be able to hear outside noise during quiet passages.

With the ETY's you will be in total isolation. I have the 4S's, and they sound excellent directly out of the headphone jack of the D25S. You would probably need the 4P's to sound great out of your other device without an amp. For total versatility get the 4P's with a conversion cable to make them into a 4S when desired.

I highly recommend the ETY's. It may take a while to get used to them, but I've listened to them for many hours and they are astounding. Get them from headroom and if they don't work for you return them.

Priceless: Watching kids TV with my daughter while listening to Miles & Coltrane in total silence.
cool.gif

Jan 22, 2002 at 12:43 PM Post #7 of 39
...get the same performance from HD600 driven by a JMT as you will with Ety4x driven by a JMT. The one battery in the JMT is not necessarily going to do the former better than the latter. With this in mind, I would go with the Etys.

However, if there is a chance you'd be robbed blind in you NY apartment and not know it while it's happening or if you can possibly imagine some scenario where you should be able to hear and you cannot, I'd go with the HD600s for safety concerns. Obviously, the isolation provided by the Etys is miraculous and they really do offer a solid checkout from the world, but you must question that checkout's practicality in your situation. That was one of the main reasons I returned mine.

Best,
Matt

Jan 22, 2002 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 39
how about the sennheiser HD580s?

you can get them from ubid.com for about $120.
i know some people here have had problems with ubid, but i haven't. my brother has ordered from ubid dozens of times without problem.

the HD580s are almost exactly the same as the HD600s. i doubt that you'll hear a difference unless you've got a SERIOUS headphone amp. and even then the differences are kinda small.
well, that's what everyone says, anyway.

but the HD600/HD580s simply are not made for a PCDP. so, i recommend the JMT 'altoids' amp. this will give you a lot more volume than coming straight off the headphone out of your d-25.
not the best combo, but a good place to start.

i personally think the etys are a headphone you go to. i can't imagine starting out with one. plus, they simply might be too uncomfortable for you. and etys sound WAY different than any other can i've heard--so you might not like them.

play it safe and go for the HD580 with the JMT. then upgrade to a more powerful headphone amp later.

Jan 22, 2002 at 2:30 PM Post #10 of 39
Second the hd600/580s. I have the 580s, and a cmoy. They work magic with all the genres you have listed(well, classical, jazz, rock. I really like those.
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jan 22, 2002 at 3:22 PM Post #11 of 39
It's a tough call, but I'd be leaning towards the ER-4P with the HD600/580 as a close second and ER-6 last.

The P's are flexible and you can keep them hidden from would-be theives and are easier to drive from a portable amp. Although, if your room is as messy as mine, you might prefer big honking cans that are harder to lose
smily_headphones1.gif

Come exam time, they can be worth their weight in gold. At home, you'll get the isolation from everyday distractions and in a library or study hall, the people around are isolated from your distractions
wink.gif
The latter is something definitely not possible with the Sennies. With my HD600's at normal volume in the basement, I can hear them perfectly from accross the room.

If you go with the Etys, you might want to start with the foamies until you get a feel for the Ety sound before fiddling with the flanged plugs. Good luck!

Jan 22, 2002 at 3:43 PM Post #12 of 39
Better yet, how about finding a cheap pair of 580s somewhere and get the ER6s as well!
cool.gif

Jan 22, 2002 at 9:25 PM Post #13 of 39
dhwilkin beat me to it, that's just what I was thinking. Find a cheap pair of 580s and grab the er-6 for $117, and you'll get two great pairs of cans for under your budget.

biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2002 at 3:13 AM Post #14 of 39
Azumandus, I have been trying to make the same decision as well. I'm trying to decide between the 580, the ER4s or the ER6.

I am purchasing the Headroom supreme in the near future and want a new headphone to go along with them. Purchasing the Er4's would be stretching my budget, but if the sound is much better than the 580 or the ER6 I may be able to justify the ER4 price.

I like the idea of the Etys isolation for when the house is a little noisy (people on phone, watching TV, etc...) and for drowning out the noise when using a treadmill (provided the microphonic effect is not bad). Most of my listening is at home, but when I take them outside I only like using earbud type phones because they are more portable. If I buy the Etys I would want them for both my PCDP and my home stereo.

I also really like sennheiser's products and would like a higher end pair. I've had a few pair of their lower-end products over the years and currently have the RS65 which I like. I also have AKG 141s so I do have two full size cans all ready. If I buy the 580s, they would be strictly for home listening.

So which sounds better? Loaded question I know.

Jan 23, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #15 of 39
I don't think you can compare a top notch full sized opentype headphone to an earbud. Although I have a bias because I don't like having things inside my ear, and haven't heard the "Etys" yet. I assure you though, that the HD580 sounds wonderful with the Headroom Supreme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back