Help me decide Grado SR60 or Sennheiser PX100 please.
Oct 1, 2004 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

batsinkw

New Head-Fier
I haven't seen this comparison anywhere and I need help because I'm not able to audition the PX100.

I auditioned the SR60 and it sounds good and clear (I'm a newbie so I don't know much else to say). However, when I turned up the volume to about 75% (not hurting ears yet and I listen below or average volume) the sound broke up. Is this normal or was it just the pair I had?

I prefer someone who has experienced both these headphones to respond, but any help would be appreciated.

I plan to use either one with my portable mp3 player and don't care what people thinks when I'm walking about town with them. I'm looking for good sound at this price range. TIA

Oct 1, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 15
i think the SR-60's are a poor choice for portable use. they are clunky, have an irritating cord, and are very open. i think they sound very good (i own and love a pair of them), but the PX100, which is small, unobtrusive, and folds, will be a better portable phone. the PX100 also sounds quite good, though i personally prefer the Koss PortaPro, in terms of sound production. in terms of the sound distorting, mine don't do that. it could have been a defective set you listened to, or the source might have been the issue.

Oct 1, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 15
what are you using as your player? an ipod? and what recordings are on the player? something below 128 mp3s? a grado will reveal the crappiness of your recordings and sources - if you get clipping/distortion at a higher volume level, but still tolerable enough of a level to be listenable, you may need a better rig going into the grados. on the whole a grado should be able to be powered just fine unamped from, say, an ipod with mp3s or aac ripped at 128. but beware, some of the newer recorded albums like Maroon 5 are just recorded hot and compressed to come out "louder" - resulting in clipping and distortion if pushed. nothing you can do about that.

Oct 1, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 15
I have the SR60 and the PX200, the PX200 sounds really thin, the SR60 sounds really full and nice but they arnt as portable as the PX series. If you look at the chart, the graph shows the PX200 sounding thin, and the SR60 looks like it has a nice full frequency responce. If you compair those 2 i would say the PX100 sounds similar (similar meaning not lacking in any area) to the SR60s with more bass and they are more portable.

graphCompare.php

Oct 1, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #5 of 15
Hey Bats,

I have and use both phones. The PX1000 is cheaper, far more portable, and sounds decent. The SR60 sounds a lot better, and has tighter base and more upfront mids. The PX100 is more convenient, and definitely close to the Grado in sound, but is just not quite as good, IMO.

As Edipis says the stiff heavy cord on the SR60s is exceptionally annoying and though reasonably durable the Grados are a huge pain to transport around and may very well break if routinely carried in a backpack or bag.

I would say use the Grados are better for at home use, and the PX100 better for portable use. I personally like the 100s better than S/Porta Pros, but the two designs are pretty similar in sound ultimately with the Pros having somewhat more bass.

If I could only have one phone though --- I would go with the SR60s as they sound a lot more distinctive. But there's no reason why you can't get two pairs of phones.... (slippery slope looms in the distance...
evil_smiley.gif
)

des

Oct 1, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 15
Thanks for the comments. It's hard deciding on a headphone because I have a certain budget but I what the best for the price, sound, durability etc.

I think I might go with the SR60 as I only occasionally go outside with my iRiver H120. This is the upper limit I can spend ($130 CAD). But the PX100 is only $80 CAD...

Delenda says there a significant difference, Bower says there is a smaller difference (nice graph! thx), ... o.o

I dunno but when I was auditioning the SR60, it was through an amp, with a cd player, and vocals in classical type music (a sample cd).

My music mp3's are mostly at least 256K using the latest lame encoder (version 3.96?).

Oct 1, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by batsinkw
Thanks for the comments. It's hard deciding on a headphone because I have a certain budget but I what the best for the price, sound, durability etc.

I think I might go with the SR60 as I only occasionally go outside with my iRiver H120. This is the upper limit I can spend ($130 CAD). But the PX100 is only $80 CAD...

Delenda says there a significant difference, Bower says there is a smaller difference (nice graph! thx), ... o.o

I dunno but when I was auditioning the SR60, it was through an amp, with a cd player, and vocals in classical type music (a sample cd).

My music mp3's are mostly at least 256K using the latest lame encoder (version 3.96?).

Don't always use the graphs as a reason to buy a headphone or not.

I learned the hard way.

Oct 1, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 15
If you are listening to classical type music, possibly the sennheiser hd-497s might be a better choice for you. They don't leak as much as the grados and I personally do not like the SR-60s for classical type music.

Oct 2, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Natsuiro
If you are listening to classical type music, possibly the sennheiser hd-497s might be a better choice for you. They don't leak as much as the grados and I personally do not like the SR-60s for classical type music.

Agreed on that. I owned the 497s and they worked nicely with classical. Grados are not completely out at sea with classical, but the 497 does sound better with that material. I believe Senns are also cheaper than Grados in Canada, so the 497s may be a good choice. Should be more than the PX100s but less than the Grados. We are assuming by the way that you listen mainly to classical here, as the Grados are better with rock. (But maybe not that much better to justify the price difference!)

Anyway, given the price differential, I think the 497s will be your best solution. They are pathetically ugly though, even to the point of making the SR60s look cool and hip, but if that doesn't matter, I think you will like them!

des

Oct 2, 2004 at 6:02 AM Post #10 of 15
I have the PX200's which are the closed version of the PX100 and I would say that for the money they are sweet. The Grado's are going to be a bit more in price, but most say that they sound better. I have heard the S60's and I liked them a lot, but I find the portability of the PX200's really nice, the come with this cool case and they fold up, which is nice.

Isaiah

Oct 2, 2004 at 6:05 AM Post #11 of 15
I listen all kinds of music, mostly mainstream, but including pop, rock, classicals, midi, r&b, voice audio...very broad I'd say.

I live in Waterloo which is about 1 hour west of Toronto. Where would be a great place to get the SR60 for the cheapest price. Include all associated costs such as shipping, duties, etc.
I would be able to drive as far as Toronto to pick up them. I don't mind ordering them, my first choice would be from within Canada but I'll consider US too.

Oct 2, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #12 of 15
I've heard the Grados and own the Senns...the Senns are pretty decent for (truly) portable cans. The Grados IMHO blow them away...but they're not very portable IMHO.

Oct 2, 2004 at 7:41 AM Post #13 of 15
yeah, I dont think you want to go in public with grados....... not a good idea.

[size=small]1000 th POST!!!!!!!!! yay[/size]

Oct 2, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #14 of 15
ok, i got my SR60 today. paid $130 CAD for them...eep. i like the sealed box they come in...it's reassuring to know they haven't been touched since assembly.

sounds good so far, i'll probably need them burn in for the next few days to get to their best potential. i like the full, substantial look of these headphones rather than the smaller PX100...although those are nice too for portable ones. no more left earache with my earbuds anymore because they don't fit!

Not sure if I really need to register or if I'm gonna do it for warranty guarantee purposes. i think i'll stop right here with these pair for my listening pleasure. These are entry level audiophile headphones i would think after reading many articles.

...no gradosmiley? outrageous i say!
smily_headphones1.gif

great site.
bye all, for a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back