Help me decide Dac vs sound card (hm5 and powered speakers)
Apr 8, 2015 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

HiCZoK

500+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone. I finally need to get something for my brainwavz. I also have creative cambridge soundworks dt2200 5.1 speaker setup which I just use as 2.1 so with only one jack.

I was almost willing to go and get e10k as it's in my budget but I am not sure. It seems that brainwavz HM5 would benefit greatly in sq. But switching speakers/headphones would be a pain. Some imbalane could be introduced because of using low volume etc. And overall e10k lacks any features like mic input as it's not really a sound card but dac (which is a good thing because it completly dont need drivers)

On the other hand, we've got devices like creative x-fi hd usb sound card or creative omni dac. Both have more inputs and can switch between speakers and drivers. both also support eax and openal for those older games (i dont care about surround).. and since I dont really like the look of omnie, x-fi hd seems like a good choice. And it even have big jack input in front which looks promising. But it's old product with not much reviews and I am afraid it might be a cheap not popular thing and drivers might leave something to be desired.

Any opinions ?
u7 is a bit too expensive. e07k dont have speakers out.
edit: Omni don't have much reviews too but I guess it's external sound blaster Z which have great reviews

Apr 8, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 6
I was almost willing to go and get e10k as it's in my budget but I am not sure. It seems that brainwavz HM5 would benefit greatly in sq. But switching speakers/headphones would be a pain.

Why? E10K has a separate line out for connecting speakers. No trouble at all :)

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 6
it does indeed. Does it conflict in any way with headphones when they are connected and volume turned down ?

I haven't used the line out on the E10K. But I don't see why it should. It's just a line out that passes through the signal from the DAC to whatever is connected to it.

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 6
Should be pretty much plug and play in terms of "usage." You might have to switch Windows over to it in the sound control panel. It also has a gain switch on the back that you might need to switch to "high" if your headphones are difficult to drive, but that's about it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back