Help me decide: compare SR-60/80 w/ MS-1s
May 14, 2005 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

diredesire

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, i've more or less just recently jumped into being a head-fier (obviously) and i'm (already) lookin' to upgrade to a nicer set of phones. I have EX-71's for my portable usage, and i own some HD212 Pros (Senns) and they're both a little bassy for what i listen to... Rock/alternative/"punk"/slower stuff, more pop-rocky than hardcore rock, but my tastes vary... I've been looking at Grado cans for quite a while now (i've been lurking for quite a bit just reading up and getting a feel for this hobby), and i've come to the conclusion that one of these great cans will be mine. After reading the SR-60 thread that was a bajillion pages long, it appears that i will probably be happy with the SR-60's. I'm not REALLY looking to become a hardcore audiophile, as i don't know if i'll ever be able to justify all the greenbacks flying out the window at a whim... The SR-60's appear to be a great value but i dont know if i'll have to or WANT to upgrade from them as i've never had the opportunity to experience them (if anyone wants to sell me a pair cheap, i have a WTB thread up in the FS/T forum). I'm trying to get a sense of the weaknesses along with strengths of this phone (although the SR-60 thread gave me a pretty good idea). I just recently completed a few CMoys, and i'm working on getting those better and better, i don't think as of right now i have the budget, time, or focus to make a more involved amp, as the CMoy was just an impulse project as is...

I guess what my question is, is will i regret not going with a higher end headphone? I have read that the Alessandro MS-1s are more or less a grado SR-125 rehash. My main question is concerning the differences between these cans... Am i going to regret not spending the extra money for the "higher quality" headphone? I'm not really looking to pick out every detail of my music, but if it's warranted i will definitely be willing to try it... The SR-60 is appealing to me because people recommend it as a great value and as a great "fun" headphone. Will the MS1's ruin my listening experience and fatigue me quickly? I'm not too worried about the comfort or style, as i am sure i can bend it to fit, and i personally LOVE the grado style...

I'd love to hear some personal opinions about whether or not i should just jump straight to the MS-1 cans or pick up the SR-60's and not look back. Keep in mind i'm not looking to become a hardcore audiophile, and the SR-60 seems right up my alley. I'm not opposed to spending the extra 20-30$ for the Alessandros by any means, but at the same time, if they are goign to ruin my experience or if i don't need the extra 'features' (i'm looking for the differences as it is..) then i don't mind going for the lower-end model...

Anyways, this post has gotten too long winded, please chime in! i appreciate any responses!

May 14, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 18
I recommend you just get the SR-60s and hear for yourself. Out of the box they might seem muffled, boomy, and mushy but after a few days of cranking it and getting used to their sound you'll be smiling, especially if your source and amp are good.

May 14, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 18
The MS-1 isn't an SR-125.........it's either a rebadged SR-60 or SR-80.

And the MS-1 probably sounds very similar to an SR-60, so you wouldn't notice too much of a difference. Either way you'll get that Grado sound and comfy pads.
cool.gif

I own a pair of EX-71s and HD212's, and I think you'll love the SR-60/MS-1. I think my Grados sound better than either headphone, except from my iPod. The iPod is too thin sounding and the Grados end up sounding super bright with very little bass and my ears actually hurt from the highs after 5 minutes of listening. But from my computer the Grados sound very nice and fun, and I can EQ them to sound perfect to my ears.

May 14, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenEggs313

And the MS-1 probably sounds very similar to an SR-60, so you wouldn't notice too much of a difference. Either way you'll get that Grado sound and comfy pads.
cool.gif

Where are you getting this from? Have you heard the ms-1's? From Every account I've heard, the ms-1's are somewhere between an sr80 and sr125. They have design characteristics of both, and they are certainly not just rebadged grados. And by every account, there is a difference in the sound.

Dire, I think you should get the ms1's, but I think you will be happy with the sr60s also. I don't think either would 'ruin' your experience

May 14, 2005 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
Where are you getting this from? Have you heard the ms-1's? From Every account I've heard, the ms-1's are somewhere between an sr80 and sr125. They have design characteristics of both, and they are certainly not just rebadged grados. And by every account, there is a difference in the sound.

Dire, I think you should get the ms1's, but I think you will be happy with the sr60s also. I don't think either would 'ruin' your experience

The MS-1 has an 1/8 plug. The SR-125 has a 1/4 plug. The SR-60/SR-80 have 1/8 plugs. Logic my friend, logic.

May 14, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

The MS-1 has an 1/8 plug. The SR-125 has a 1/4 plug. The SR-60/SR-80 have 1/8 plugs. Logic my friend, logic.

lol. ok so the plugs are the same. by that logic, my um2's must be rebadged ex71's. I mean, they do have the same plug, after all.

check your facts [size=xx-small](about the other stuff, i dont care about the plugs).[/size]

May 14, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

lol. ok so the plugs are the same. by that logic, my ex71 and um2's must be the same.

check your facts [size=xx-small](about the other stuff, i dont care about the plugs).[/size]

why don't you tell everyone how you know the MS-1's are upgraded SR-125's?
confused.gif

I'd like to know, because I'm a dumbass and all.
cool.gif

May 14, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

why don't you tell everyone how you know the MS-1's are upgraded SR-125's?
confused.gif

I'd like to know, because I'm a dumbass and all.
cool.gif

ok, stop crapping in this guy's thread. i never said they were upgraded 125's. i said they have characteristics of the sr80's and sr125's .... making them probably similar to both ...
why don't you do a little search, there are many threads on the matter. here's one http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...light=sr80+ms1

May 14, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

ok, stop crapping in this guy's thread. i never said they were upgraded 125's. i said they have characteristics of the sr80's and sr125's .... making them probably similar to both ...
why don't you do a little search, there are many threads on the matter. here's one http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...light=sr80+ms1

i'm gonna go burn in my cables because head-fi said that makes a difference.

May 14, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

i'm gonna go burn in my cables because head-fi said that makes a difference.

or perhaps you could do some research and look at the basic specs between the sr80/sr60 and ms1 to see that the physical design and components of them are different. Like the sr60/sr80 have a standard copper voice coil wire, while the ms1 and sr125 have UHPLC copper voice coil wire. People like you spreading BS without knowledge ruin the credibility of everyone on head-fi. Please only speak on subjects you know something about. If you have anything more to say on the matter, PM me and stop wasting everyone's time and ruining dire's thread (though it might be too late for that).

May 14, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

How can someone make an unsupported "informational" statement on head-fi....and then...

Quote:

I'm gonna go burn in my cables because head-fi said that makes a difference.

Say that the forum they're posting information in is not a good source of information?

Quote:

Logic my friend, logic.

(Edit, so as not to totally threadcrap): If you look around enough here you'll find enough opinions to go either way on "big" issues (are Senns better than Grados? Is burn-in real?), but a lot of the issues on nuances ("Is the MS-1 worth the extra dough?") seem to have some more consistency, outside a few people who will take opposing views...it's a time consuming process that only becomes more time consuming as more posts are added and more information is available. If you look around enough though, you will start to find some things that seem a little more true than others...but as for the difference between the MS-1 and the Grados you mentioned, best to try it out on your own, as different doesn't always mean better, and if something is arguably "objectively" better (um...a headphone with broken drivers vs. a headphone with working drivers, or to a lesser extreme, a headphone that's incredibly congested vs. one with some distinction between instruments), then it's also an issue of what's worth the spending to you as opposed to what the next guy is willing to spend.

Also, don't look around for too long, or you will become an audiophile after awhile...
rolleyes.gif

May 14, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #13 of 18
Lets not forget your source and amps... YES the SR125 and MS-1 are more revealing and detailed, BUT if youre source or amplifier are not detailed enough to expose the differences between the 60/80/125, its $$$ down the drain.

I vote for the SR60, unless you have source / amp upgrades planned in the future. Note also that I find the SR60 a VERY detail revealing can despite its NON audiophile reputation. Like you I dont pick out every little detail.

I have the now discontinues SR40, (the 60's little brother with the 60/80 drivers) Im completely satisfied. Like the SR60 it certainly reveals enough detail to satisfy my needs... given my meager source and amps. Note also the SR40 responds HUGE to amplification, I would expect the same from the SR60. I most likely will upgrade to either an SR60 or MS-1, but not any time soon.

At any rate, IMHO the SR60 is a BIG step up from your other cans... in just about every aspect.

If you can demo them that'd be ideal, some find them bright.

Garrett

May 14, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
At any rate, IMHO the SR60 is a BIG step up from your other cans... in just about every aspect.

Garrett

Well said garrett. I have the Senn hd202 which is like the 212's and the Grado's make the Hd202's sound like big o' fart cannons. My 202's sound muffled and like sound is coming from a tunnel.

May 14, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhw
How can someone make an unsupported "informational" statement on head-fi....and then...

Say that the forum they're posting information in is not a good source of information?

because that one dude completely owned me and proved me wrong, so i went the humor route, but i don't think it translated well over teh interwebs.
icon10.gif

some dude last week was saying the MS-1's were SR-80s, and the plug was just one of his reasons.....he also made a good point that Grado would probably be losing money if they were SR-125's.

And yes, I've heard the MS-1's, but briefly at a friends house. It wasn't on my source so I couldn't exactly notice the differences between my SR-60, but to me they sounded pretty much the same. So for a newbie with a mid-to-low level source, an SR-60 would probably suit his needs just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back