Help me decide between these four headphones?
Oct 10, 2008 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Solid Snake

1000+ Head-Fier
I am currently listening to the Denons 2000...I find them very comfy, nice bass, good soundstage, but they seem a little too slow for what I want.

I am about to make my next purchase...

My music consists of Electronica (Dance, Trance, House, etc)

These are the ones I am undecided with:

Audio-Technica ATH-A900
Sony mdr-SA5000
JVC HP-M1000
Ultrasones (750, Dj1 ?)

I want a punchy bass with a decent soudstage. I dont want explosive bass but just enough for the electronica genre The more comfort the better. And of course, fast sounding cans.

Suggestions would be great.

Oct 10, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #6 of 7
Not disagreeing, as I haven't heard the SA5000s (and I have read a few people laud them for their electronica/trance capabilities), but the A900s (and Denons) could fit the bill, but they'd need some light modding to achieve it. If the D2000s aren't doing it for you stock, then the A900s won't either (at least in my opinion).

Another choice might be the W1000s, they have good speed, but again, I think they'd need modding to get them to where you want. The W5000s are speedy, but I don't think they'd be good for trance. Sorry to keep harping, but some modding might help since they become better all arounders. Of course price might put them out of your league.

The modding I'm talking about is the blu-tak mod (so its simple/easy and cheap but quite effective).

I don't think the Ultrasones will fit, their detail is quirky and I don't know that they'd have the bass speed stock (I believe most of them are supposed to have a bit pronounced bass).

Oct 10, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 7
I've been more than happy with the Kenwood KH K1000 for electronica. I much prefer them to my ultrasone headphones nowadays. Nice speed, nice detail, nice bass bring on more Underworld!

One good thing in favour of the Ultrasone HFI700DVD is the lovely sub bass.

I bought and sold the JVCs you mention. Kenwood are much better. But for the pirce the JVCs will please many. The highs were too piercing for me. May suit some people.

I bought and sold the ATH-A900. I found them a little slow, and less detailed. Muddy? I didn't like them, I was disappointed. Got shot of them.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Sonys though for electronica. I've never tried them myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back