Help me decide between these entry-fi IEMs
Oct 13, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Only concern is about the durability and the microphonic effect, which in this purchase won't be as important as isolation and comfort. But then I could go for the UM1s
confused.gif

I got the same doubt.
What music genres the UM1 covers well?

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #17 of 39
The Ety's come with a shirt clip, and when used eliminates probably 95% of microphonics. I usually use my IEM's while at home sitting down or playing my Bass through them.

Oct 14, 2007 at 8:27 AM Post #20 of 39
That's the EQ I was using on my vid iPod and I love metal on the Ety's.

Oct 14, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #21 of 39
did you consider new sennheiser line as a CX400, CX500 and CX95 ?
They should be available in the middle of october...

Oct 14, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #22 of 39
I have a pair of the older style black UM1's and find them to have a very warm sound. When I first got them, I didn't quite like them because I would listen to more rock and metal types of music, but lately I have found them to be very nice with electronic styles of music and some softer indie rock. I would imagine that the warm sound might work well with classical music, but I'm really not sure. Haven't tried the other two so I can't compare them directly. Good luck and I hope you find the right pair!

Oct 18, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luisa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did you consider new sennheiser line as a CX400, CX500 and CX95 ?
They should be available in the middle of october...

I guess the isolation will be mediocre for my travel needs, as are other canalphones like CX300. Otherwise the SQ might be very interesting.

What do you folks say about Shure E2 series, E2, C & G? They can be had much cheaper now.

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by prosound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess the isolation will be mediocre for my travel needs, as are other canalphones like CX300. Otherwise the SQ might be very interesting.

What do you folks say about Shure E2 series, E2, C & G? They can be had much cheaper now.

NO! No E2 series.

Stay with the Etymotic ER6i. Mine needed some burn-in but sound much better now (everyone says balanced armatures don't need burn-in but MINE did). When I first tried them they had some harsh upper mids which has improved. They are fairly well detailed, and will isolate quite well.

And, if you like KSC75's bass, the ER6i with a good source and a good amp (we like bass boost) will do all genre's of music acceptably well for the price (rock, hip hop, jazz, classical, new age, acoustic). The PenguinAmp Caffeine or JSEABER CMoy bass boost really help the ER6i in the bass department.

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #25 of 39
er6i is perfect fit for what you listen to

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #26 of 39
I have IM716 modded with 29ohm... and it is good for most of my piano solo and other instrument... Use black shure fomies for more comfy

Oct 26, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #29 of 39
After reading a ton of posts, I have a few questions regarding the er6i and UM1 because these are the two IEMs I'm considering for an introduction into IEMs.

About 10-12 years ago I tried a pair of IEMs from a co-worker but I can't remember who made them, but they did have a three-flange tip and looked very similar to Etymotics ER4, and the sound blew me away. All genres were incredible. I could hear chairs creaking on a classical CD (using a Discman).

Here are my restrictions:
- I have $200 cold, hard cash in hand.
- A 2nd generation iPod Nano.
- My preference is a for a warm, mellow, "brown" sound.
- I listen to classical, jazz, "butt" rock, acoustic rock (big Dave Matthews fan), a little bit of hip hop, funk, bluegrass, etc. Basically all of the music genres.
- Isolation is very important.

I was considering the er6i first because it appears to be a good baseline to work with by adding the iPod's EQ settings if necessary (boost the bass for the hip hop, funk stuff). It has fantastic isolation. But, it may not be very warm.

Now I'm starting to consider the UM1 because it appears to have that warm sound, good to great isolation, and might be more robust (mow the lawn, cook in the kitchen, possibly run, without too bad microphonics - the sound coming the cord is you rub it, right?).

I was also thinking about the super.fi 3 studio, but something turned me off of those and I can't remember what.

Is my decision going to be a coin toss?

Oct 26, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #30 of 39
Odelay,

The iPod bass boost isn't sufficient - I recommend a bass boost amp. If you can't get one, then
YOU may want to consider the Altec Lansing IM716, do a "podectomy" and use custom resistors to tune the Ety sound signature. Here are the best three threads discussing the sound signature.

Just dicussed stock sound http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=267338

EFN's podectomy thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...M716+podectomy

jsatch's podectomy thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...m716+podectomy

Low value ohm resistors keep it warm, mid value ohm resistors increase the detail and keep the bass, and higher value resistors bring out tons of details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back