Help me decide between the AKG K550 or B&W P5
Jan 7, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #16 of 30
I don't like the P5

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #17 of 30
I have a pair of AKG K550s but I have never used the B&W P5s. I would love to try out the P5s.

For portable use the AKG K550s have one truly great thing and one bad thing.

The great thing is that the isolation by the circum-aural design is superb, really first class. For portable use I find this to be of great benefit when on a train or aeroplane because it cuts down background noise. I often listen to chamber music and I can listen to quiet and gentle chamber music pieces with the AKG K550s even on quite busy trains.

The bad thing about the AKG K550s for portable use is that they do not have a detachable cable. I would like to be able to use a shorter cable than the stock one so I didn't have to wind up the stock cable so much. My desire for a detachable cable is purely so I could fit a shorter one, not so I could fit one of the magical cables you see advertised for headphone use.

I think the sound of the AKG K550s is very good indeed. They are not up there with my AKG K702s, but they are very enjoyable to listen to. The AKG K550s have a very smooth treble, the tend to fill out the sounds of each instrument in an orchestra. This gives them a very different sound from the AKG K702s.

The soundstage on the AKG K550s is the best I have heard on closed back headphones.

As I said I have never heard the B&W P5s but I will say that for practical use "on the hoof" they have advantages over the AKG K550s because they are smaller in overall size and, I think, they have a detachable cable so one of a useful length can be fitted. You might want to check that about the cable actually because now I am wondering if I have remembered that correctly.

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #18 of 30
My vote goes to AKG K550, mine sounds great, i prefer them to the P5 with a great difference, due to the higher detail and naturality the AKG provides. I've had not problems of fitting so far. Furthermore, here in Spain P5 is 300 euro and AKG 120 euro, a huge price difference.  

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #19 of 30
Faced with the same choice, I wound up with the P5 to use with my iPhone.  P5 by itself
isn't really to my taste, and I use AKG cans with my other gear, but driven by the Accudio
Pro app on the iPhone, the P5 absolutely sing with the best of them, and is rather more
comfortable than my UE IEMs for extended listening.

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #20 of 30
"I think, they have a detachable cable so one of a useful length can be fitted. You might want to check that about the cable actually because now I am wondering if I have remembered that correctly."

The p5s do have a detachable cable but as for changing them for different lengths, I think you'd struggle. The cables connect inside the cans after removing the magnetic ear pads, and use a slender 2.5mm jack of which sits in a narrow cable channeling so finding an extended or shortened cable to fit maybe difficult if at all possible. I know people do use extended cables on them but are home made modifications.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #21 of 30
Have you also considered the sennheiser HD558. I am also considering the K550 but against the sennheiser. I've yet to try the Sennheiser but found the K550 uncomfortable and pretty heavy although sound good on shortish audition in superfi . I'm looking to replace my sennheiser HD565 Ovation I've had for about 15 years although I've been impressed with the AKG K450 I use as portables. After reading comments here may well try the P5's.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #22 of 30
Have you also considered the sennheiser HD558. I am also considering the K550 but against the sennheiser. I've yet to try the Sennheiser but found the K550 uncomfortable and pretty heavy although sound good on shortish audition in superfi . I'm looking to replace my sennheiser HD565 Ovation I've had for about 15 years although I've been impressed with the AKG K450 I use as portables. After reading comments here may well try the P5's.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #23 of 30

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #26 of 30
The K550 are a very good pair of cans if your head is on the bigger side and get a good seal.  I would suggest trying them before buying because some love them and other hate the fit.  The P5 are easier for on the go listening and sound decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back