Help me decide between the AKG K550 or B&W P5
Oct 2, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 30
B&W P5 - hands down. The K550 are underwhelming. The P5 are overpriced. I can accept the later.

I'd also steer you towards the Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 at or around this price. Less isolation than the P5, but more balanced and refined sounding. They look pretty dapper too (I'm assuming aesthetics do matter, because of the models mentioned).

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:
Yes looks do matter but sound is more important to me, I don't mind on ear or around ear

Heya,

Ok, then look into:

AudioTechnica A900X
AudioTechnica ESW9A (woodback)
Brainwavz HM5 (or Fischer Audio FA003, or NVX)
Fischer Audio FA002W (woodback)
Denon D5000 (woodback)
AKG K271 MK II
AKG K272 HD
Beyer DT770
Vmoda M80
Philips Downtowns
Philips Uptowns
Shure SRH840

Very best,

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #9 of 30
Why the HD-25 I II aren't mentioned? they have the right balance of style and sound quality. Isolation and build quality are their strong points. 

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #10 of 30
Why the HD-25 I II aren't mentioned? they have the right balance of style and sound quality. Isolation and build quality are their strong points. 

I think style is really in the eye of the beholder. :xf_eek:

Based on the altrock/indie thing, and my assumption that these need to be mobile, I would vote P5 all day. Forget I even mentioned the ESW9. :confused_face:

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #11 of 30
It's funny that you're recomending the P5s cause the reviews of the AKGs are a lot more positive saying that they sound nearly as good as full sized open reference headphones

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #12 of 30
It's funny that you're recomending the P5s cause the reviews of the AKGs are a lot more positive saying that they sound nearly as good as full sized open reference headphones

The K550 sounded nothing like "full sized open reference headphones" (whatever the heck that means) - they're closed-in, top-heavy, and nowhere near as detailed or accurate as I'd like for the price and the hype. They also fit pretty poorly, and were unimpressive to hold; again, for the price and the hype. The P5 aren't perfect, but for mobile headphones they're a better choice - they isolate better (which matters), are smaller (which matters), and are likely more durable.

I really wouldn't recommend the K550 for any reason, to anyone. If you want a good, closed, full-sized headphone, look at the Kenwood KH-K1000.

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #13 of 30
I'll have to respectfully disagree. I own the K550, and I think they sound great. I have no issues with the fit, and from what I've seen and heard, the P5 are far less durable. And this is subjective, obviously, but the K550 sound quite a bit better than the P5. I just couldn't relate to any of the issues you noted about the 550's.

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #14 of 30
I must say i have to agree with Tims comment above, the AKG k550 are definitely a better sounding headphone. IMO they are in a different league to the P5s. I was in the same deciding position as niglu93 last year, which included a decider between the p5s and the 550 amongst others. I was comparing these two pairs in superfi, both long run in demo units, the akg's won hands down in all aspects apart from portability. The 550s are an amazing set of headphones, especially after a decent burn in time (essential)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back