help me decide ! Bel canto DAC 3, AGD DAC 3 ref , DAC 9 ref or else ???
Nov 14, 2010 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

coolcat

500+ Head-Fier
I am in search for a new DAC(single end) to upgrade my meier Stage DAC. I heard something good about the Bel Canto DAC3 ,but wonder how it holds up against the concurrent from Audio GD or another DACs. My budget is around 1400$,which is only enough for the used Bel Canto.

Please help me decide

thank you

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 8
I went from the Meier Stagedac via the Havana to the Audio-GD Reference 5; not exactly what you are interested in since it is balanced, but I like it much more then the Stagedac.
Whereas the Stagedac has its strong points, enormous sound stage, deep deep bass and extended treble, I thought it was tonally flawed, sounding unnatural.
the Havana had better tonality too, but was ultimately to laid back for me with a restricted sound stage.
I first tried the Ref5 unbalanced, it sounded very good that way, but going balanced gave some small but noticeable improvements; tighter frequency extremes, more detail and dynamics.
So my recommendation would be something from Audio-GD, with 1704-DACs inside.

Nov 15, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #3 of 8
thank for your input :p

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #4 of 8
I played around with the BC DAC 3 for a few weeks but ultimately didn't like it for its lack of musicality in my all solid state gears.  Perhaps, it would work better with a warmish set up.  I'm looking at the AGD offerings now myself. 

Kenobi

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #6 of 8
thank you all.
I almost order the DAC 3 from audiogon (1400$) new.But I think I will not benefit much from the dac3 ,because my amp is single end.
I decide to go for the AGD ref 3 or 9 ,which are single end. Thank for your input

Tan

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #7 of 8
thank you all.
I almost order the DAC 3 from audiogon (1400$) new.But I think I will not benefit much from the dac3 ,because my amp is single end.
I decide to go for the AGD ref 3 or 9 ,which are single end. Thank for your input

Tan

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #8 of 8
Since the PCM1704's are rumoured to be in short supply, you might want to speed that order of the A-GD up :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back