Help me decide: Aktimate vs KRK Rokit - Active Speakers/Monitors
Jun 24, 2012 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

willmax

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy a pair of Active Speakers/Monitors to use with my desktop computer. 
I've narrow down to the KRK Rokit 5 and Aktimate Mini. The iPod feature on the Minis is nice but I'm not so fussed about it and one speaker has got the amp to drive both units, on the other hand the Rokits are powered independently and have dedicated amps for high and low frequency inside as well as front firing bass port.

The main purpose for these speakers will be for general listening, I'll be using Foobar with ASIO playing FLAC through my ODAC.

I've read good things about both so I want to hear from you guys why should I pick one versus the other. Any opinions are welcome.

Jun 24, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 4
Do you have a store where you can demo them?  This will be the best way to figure out which is better for you. 

I am a bit biased, since I use the VXT4's on my desktop, but honestly - independent biamplification with active crossover and front-firing bass port, vs. an ipod dock... seems like a no brainer to me

Jun 24, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Do you have a store where you can demo them?  This will be the best way to figure out which is better for you. 

I am a bit biased, since I use the VXT4's on my desktop, but honestly - independent biamplification with active crossover and front-firing bass port, vs. an ipod dock... seems like a no brainer to me

This weekend I listened to the Aktimate Mini at a local Hi-Fi store but I don't know of anywhere in town where I could listen to the KRK Rokit 5 and that is one of the reason to try and get some opinions here.

I read this comparison here between the Audioengine and Rokits and this gives some favourable points to the Rokits as well, however the Aktimates are said to also be better than the Audioengine.

Do you think I would have to buy a Sub-woofer to go with these speakers at all?

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 4
Found a local store stocking the Rokits - allans billy hyde - I went and auditioned both Rokit 5 and Rokit 6. The bottom end of the Rokit 6 is just so much better and goes much deeper than the Rokit 5, I felt that if I decided to get the 5 I would be needing to buy a Sub pretty soon, and it would add to the cost of this speakers, so the logical step for me was to get the 6 for a small premium but in the long run I would be better off for not needing to add a separate sub-woofer. This is a fantastic set of speakers highly recommended to everyone.

Like El_Doug said above, when one compares the Rokits against the Aktimate Mini, to get the Rokits is a no brainer. I'm very satisfied with my purchase. 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back