Help me decide, a new DAC, or a new QUIET CASE?
Feb 19, 2006 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SonicDawg

1000+ Head-Fier
I am using computer as source. What would be a better choice for me right now, to get the new Silverstone DAC, or a quiet computer case, http://www.silentpcreview.com/module...tid=116&page=1? given that my computer is fairly loud, which basically destroys a lot of the low/quiet spectrum of my music, as I have to turn my music up to drawn the noise out. They both should cost me around the same price, of about 100 dollars each. Which upgrade seems to be more reasonable?

Feb 19, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg
I am using computer as source. What would be a better choice for me right now, to get the new Silverstone DAC, or a quiet computer case, http://www.silentpcreview.com/module...tid=116&page=1? given that my computer is fairly loud, which basically destroys a lot of the low/quiet spectrum of my music, as I have to turn my music up to drawn the noise out. They both should cost me around the same price, of about 100 dollars each. Which upgrade seems to be more reasonable?

Go for the quiet case.

You need more than just the case however, you need a quiet CPU fan and possibly video card fan also, the case will not do it alone.

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 5
yeah; in fact i wouldn't worry so much about the CASE at all. i'd worry about:

1. quiet hdd: seagate or samsung
2. quiet case fans: nexus, yate-loon, papst etc.
3. quiet cpu fan
4. quiet psu

this case certainly won't dampen much fan noise

if you're spending $100, you're waisting your money on just a case. for $100, with careful work you can easily get all the quiet stuff you need.

Feb 21, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #5 of 5
not sure about your possibilities regarding space, but I have solved the computer noise problem by relocating the CPU to a room below my listening room. I run the audio (USB) via an optical extender and the keyboard, mouse, and screen via a Belkin Omniview Cat5 extender to the listening room. I never bothered one bit to make the PC quiet because you just can't. I have a laptop in the listening room, but I can hear it's hard drive when it is spinning. It also has a small fan that kicks in frequently. That situation showed me that unless you can stop the drives and get rid of all fans, you really can't solve it without a real noise barrier around the computer, or simply moving it elsewhere. The cost of the extender cables I use are probably equal to the cost of a quiet case, but I am getting galvanic isolation on the USB connection as a bonus, and that was really needed because I had some ground loop issues.

Obviously, this remote PC is dedicated to the music use, no need for frequent access of the CD drive bay, etc

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back