help me create a super Fiio E3!
Jan 19, 2012 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

skree

Head-Fier
First off, I should explain My thoughts and part of my gadget philosophy..

I believe that spending loads of money to get the best is great if you can do it, but I can't. I don't have any money, never have had really.. But i'm an habitual modifier and tweaker, and from these conditions has arisen a monster obsession with modifying cheaper end stuff to get high end(or at least, better) function.. or functions that just don't exist on other devices. 

My source appears to do well when connected to a load like an amplifier, better than it does with headphones.. the sound quality seems better, already good but it takes on a vibrance you just dont get through headphones. - If one reads the tests on various sites this is not uncommon with mobile phone based MP3 players.

Because my source is a mobile phone, I need a 4 pole input and some kind of bypass to wire in a microphone. I think i can overcome the GSM buzz interference with a little DIY shielding. Because I like to leave my cables connected all the time, i also need some kind of switch to turn the amp on/off and to bypass it when off giving direct phone to headphone connection. And a crossfeed.. but all those bits are pretty much sorted... fairly simple wiring there.. it kind of has to be an E3 or some kind of CMOY (prefer the E3 - smaller, smaller battery) because of their simple on/off design rather than the digital switch of an E6.. could do with getting a couple of damaged but servicable (say, case damage or jack failure) E3s to test my ideas on..

I have a case that will not only take the E3 PCB, 3 3.5mm sockets, and a 3/4 pole switch, but also an AA battery, or 2 AAAs - will be tight, especially with the AA, but it will fit.

What i'm wondering is:- I read on the internet that rumour has it Fiio use an LM4917 op-amp or a copy of it. I'm looking at national's datasheet for the 4917 now, and it appears from the data that (please correct me if i'm wrong here because it's driving me mad) by swapping a component or adding something one can alter the amplifier so it amplifies across the frequency ranges we use, rather than just bass.. says a bit about a high pass filter as a product of inverting input resistor, input cap, and the load... ? can the e3 be modded to amp the full range?

it also says 4917 can take 3.6v (hence me saying 2 aaas in my case) so overvolting might even improve it in other ways.. not so bothered about that one i don't need massive gain, hence me looking at E3 in the first place.. just enough to compensate for the meier enhanced bass crossfeed and give my headphones a touch more power.. 50-60 ohm is about the limit of what I have to drive

anything i can do to dampen the hiss from using NiMH batteries?

ta folks.. yours,
                        cheap-fi maestro 
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 2
Nobody has fiddled with, or even looked at an E3 to see if they can be fiddled with? I am surprised. Joy of discovery and all that... even if it isn't top end hi-fi.. well, I'll be looking into it. I won't have another li-ion cell on my person or in my gadget collection.. bad enough that my mobile phone/music source has to have one.. so E5/6 are out and I don't think i can build a cmoy + power source that small.. twice as big as my recase box, minimum..

i've seen the 'woody' E3 - similar to the base of what i want to do that is.. recase, different battery, new sockets, proper power switch.. Really don't see a lot of point in fitting a volume control like the woody guy did.. but I definitely want to look at reconfiguring the thing to be more full range if possible, rather than just a bass booster - even if it means spending more on the customisation parts than the amp cost.. it must be a function of component/layout these aren't complex chipamps..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back