Help me chose my computer speaker system!
Jul 13, 2006 at 10:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Woosh

100+ Head-Fier
hey i currently own the Creative 4400 4.1 channel, im looking to sell these or upgrade them as i didnt really need a 4.1.

things i had in mind where the creative T3000, the logitech Z-4 or the Logitech X530 5.1 system.

i have no idea what im doing, i dont even know if i should keep my current system or upgrade them.

if anyone got any suggestion it would be really great!

my budget is about $75 usd and i mainly use them for music and gaming, and sometimes movies.

thanx!

Jul 13, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #3 of 6
Might find some better answers in the speaker thread...

Anyway, I bought some Logitech x-230's and they're decent for just listening to mp3's on the PC. I think you can get them for around $40 or so...

Jul 13, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 6
...when you can have "real" [home hi-fi] speakers??? My current rig is a pair of Yamaha NS-A 635A's with consecutinve serial numbers [important in some circles, not here]. They're three-ways, eight inch woofer, etc, and good sound. They're not tinny at all, and also sounded great powered with a Pioneer QX-995A bridged to stereo [80 watts per side]. The current amp is an MCS 3830 - a bit underpowered, but it sounds good, and also makes a decent headphone amp. So there's my example, but there's a world of good speakers out there - why settle for tinny, as so many computer speakers tend to be, perhaps a bias on my part due to the general lack of bass response. If you do go with computer speakers, a subwoofer helps a whole lot to fill in the bass. Gotta have it...

Laz

Jul 13, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short
...when you can have "real" [home hi-fi] speakers??? My current rig is a pair of Yamaha NS-A 635A's with consecutinve serial numbers [important in some circles, not here]. They're three-ways, eight inch woofer, etc, and good sound. They're not tinny at all, and also sounded great powered with a Pioneer QX-995A bridged to stereo [80 watts per side]. The current amp is an MCS 3830 - a bit underpowered, but it sounds good, and also makes a decent headphone amp. So there's my example, but there's a world of good speakers out there - why settle for tinny, as so many computer speakers tend to be, perhaps a bias on my part due to the general lack of bass response. If you do go with computer speakers, a subwoofer helps a whole lot to fill in the bass. Gotta have it...

Laz

Those have been my only pair of speakers for over 6 years. I'll have to check those serial numbers I guess.

Jul 14, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 6
I say a good 2-channel stereo system is a better choice rather than a set of multimedia computer speakers. Of course, you can add in subwoofers and extra channels as you see fit...

I run a pair of Dynaco A-25's connected to a Kenwood KA-3500... old-school audio. Both are over 25 years old, so they've got a lot of history. However, you can't beat the sound quality that they give me without spending a lot more, and they're really awesome for listening to music, movies and entertaining when people are over (parties yay being a teenager
tongue.gif
).

As for loudness... the KA-3500 puts out 20WPC, and the Dynacos are LOUD. I haven't ever turned them up past 2 o'clock on the dial, which is 6 out of 10 volume markers, because it would mean being in pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back