Help me chose a new set of speakers
Dec 31, 2013 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Gil Schwartzman

500+ Head-Fier
I've come into a bit of extra cash and so I'm overhauling my audio setup. Currently I have Logitech X-530's, and a Zero DAC/AMP and Denon D2000. I am looking to replace the speakers and am looking in the $400-$500 range. 

Originally I was only looking at powered monitors. The ones I've been considering most heavily are M-Audio BX8 D2, Swan M200MKIII, Adam F5 or Emotiva Airmotiv 5 (if they ever come back in stock.) However, the other day, my Zero decided to bite the dust. I've decided to replace it with a Maverick TubeMagic A1 and D2 set. The A1 having speaker taps puts passive speakers on the table now. I don't really have a preference to one or the other, my only concern is getting the best possible sound for my dollar, and having everything work together properly. My assumption is that getting a passive speaker will result in better quality for the money spent, given that I'm not paying for extra amps, but then I have to find something that can be properly driven by the A1. Is this correct? I've been eyeing the Definitive SM45, 
Klipsch RB-41 II, and Arx A1B now, but I'm not sure if any of these would be a better fit over the active monitors. 

The speakers are going to go in a 11x15 bedroom. I plan to wall mount then, and listening range will vary between about 4 ft and 8ft, depending on where I'm sitting. They are going to be used equally for music, movies, and gaming. I like bass, but I like clean bass. The flabby, roof shaking nonsense is not for me. At least for music, I also am really fond of crisp, clear highs (to paint a better picture of my musical preferences, Grado headphones are my favorite thing ever, and I'll have another pair soon). Can anyone advise on which direction would be smarter?

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #2 of 7
I think there has been some talk about some of the Pioneer passive speakers offering some good quality for a low price, can't remember the model number.

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 7
  I think there has been some talk about some of the Pioneer passive speakers offering some good quality for a low price, can't remember the model number.

That would be the BS-21/41 
darthsmile.gif

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #4 of 7
Yep, the Pioneer SP-BS22

Review:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-loudspeaker

Jan 1, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 7
Well... I'll offer up some more expensive alternatives :p

Focal 806V or 706V (both on closeout)
Wharfedale Diamond 10.2
Monitor Audio RX-1

Jan 2, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #6 of 7
Yes, the Andrew Jones speakers from Pioneer have received some very good reviews (BS21/BS22/BS41). Recently the BS22s were $99 bucks at Newegg which means you can walk into Best Buy and get the same price. : ) I was tempted but couldn't talk myself into it. May still be time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back