help me chose 1000$ eadphones
Aug 7, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #32 of 61
So I assume you probably want closed and I also suspose you don't want to carry around an amp or DAC? I seriously consider you look into IEMs, a UE-10 Pro or E500. Thats really all I can think of.

Aug 8, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #33 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBicFlic
I would get something a little bit more "competitively" priced (aka cheaper) and then blow the rest of the money on the actual music. Esp. if this is your first set of cans.

Now, I am a bit of a newb, but that just makes sense to me.

music? what is this music? we're talking toys here, dang it.

Aug 8, 2006 at 1:03 PM Post #37 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by fp581
how long do they work?

The average life expectancy is in the range of other consumer electronic goods.I'd say at least 10 years for well built (and babied) solid state gear, probably less for tube amps.Tubes themselves have to be exchanged regularly, IME after 2 years, but it naturally depends on the tube type and the amount of listening hours.
You could always get an amp repaired, but at your location shipping back and forth might be unreasonably expensive and some of the (usually small business) amp manufacturers even might not be accessible in a few years anymore.
The connectors might wear out faster, but they are easily replaceable yourself or by a DIYer in your neighborhood.
In other words : Most amps are far more durable than your iPod.

Aug 8, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #38 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan
If you are ready to just dive in and start spending, I'd look for:
1) a device to get you a lineout from your I-Pod (e.g. Pocket Dock or TurboDock);
2) a small headphone amp (e.g., Ray Samuels Hornet; Xin SuperMini or SuperMicro if you want it really tiny; Headroom Total Bithead if you want good computer compatibility in a relatively small device that will also work with your portables);
3) a pair of high quality IEM's like the E500's (or if you want to be a bit more conservative, something like the E4c's or other $150-$200 offerings from manufacturers other than Shure)

I think this post is what you need to be paying attention to. Forget about getting $1000 headphones. You dont have the source or amplification necessary for running headphones of that caliber.

Aug 8, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #40 of 61
How are you going to be listening to your music? Are you going to be out and about, and if so, where? Or are you mainly going to be sitting in one place?

What type of headphones have you used before, and what are you looking to get out of them?

Aug 8, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #42 of 61
I think I would reiterate what others have said then and go with a set of e500s from Shure, a protable amp like the Emmeline SR-71, and some sort of dock solution.

Best of luck, and I am sure that you will get many different opinions. I would try out everything you can.

-John

Aug 8, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #43 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by fp581
how big this amp's are?

The Xin amps come in sizes from "tiny" to "tinier" to "tiniest":
  1. SuperMacro-IV: 3.3"x2.1"x0.9", 7 oz (w/batt.), 8 AAA, over-discharge protection, fast charging, switches for 4 features, auto-off timer, single and dual opamp sockets.
  2. SuperMini-IV: 2.4"x1.9"x0.6", 2 oz (w/batt.), 2 AAA, internal charging, 5.5V boost, jumpers for 4 features, dual opamp sockets.
  3. SuperMicro-IV: 2.0"x1.0"x0.7", 1 oz (w/batt.), 1 AAA, over-discharge protection, 5.5V boost.
For a frame of reference, a credit card is about 3.2" by about 2.1". So the *largest* of the 3 is the size of a credit card. While it takes 8 AAA's, it's designed for rechargables to stay inside of it and get recharged while installed. They can last a very long time. The trick is to get 1000 mAh ni-mh's. I'm waiting on mine to arrive.

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #45 of 61
So in conclusion
If u can give me a full price layout for the Pocket Dock or TurboDock
And for the headgear u gave me it will help me allot

p.s
thenx for all the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back