Help me choosing a good headphone/set
Jul 7, 2014 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bananus

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good pair of headphones. My price range is around 100$ and my options are:
1) skullcandy SLYR
2) hi 2050
3) CAL!
I'll use them for gaming as Well as listening to music and watching movies. Which One would you recommend or would you recommend me a different pair of headphones?

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 13
1) Most Skullcandies are not good headphones compared to alternatives that are frequently discussed on this website. The only Skullcandy that is a decent value that I know of is the Mix Master for $113 at BestBuy.

2) Most gaming headphones are not good values compared to non-gaming headphones.

3) Open headphones provide a bigger soundstage than closed headphones--a plus for gaming. In your budget range for an open headphone, I would recommend the Sennheiser HD558. It is a good all around headphone. You can sometimes pick up like new or refurbished ones off Amazon even cheaper.

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 13
1) Most Skullcandies are not good headphones compared to alternatives that are frequently discussed on this website. The only Skullcandy that is a decent value that I know of is the Mix Master for $113 at BestBuy.

2) Most gaming headphones are not good values compared to non-gaming headphones.

3) Open headphones provide a bigger soundstage than closed headphones--a plus for gaming. In your budget range for an open headphone, I would recommend the Sennheiser HD558. It is a good all around headphone. You can sometimes pick up like new or refurbished ones off Amazon even cheaper.

x2

Also, note that the hd558 is open(meaning they leak out sound just in case OP know already), meaning they are strictly for home use.

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 13
Takstar HI 2050 are very good headphones but being on the bright side of neutral they tend to sound very good with audiophile recordings and sometimes cold or even harsh with modern recordings.
In terms of soundstage they are pretty good at their price point. For a bigger but not as defined soundstage you should consider Pioneer Se A1000.

HD558 are always a solid pick if you can get them for 100.

Best Luck!

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #6 of 13
Thanks a lot! What about the takstar pro 80's and the srh-440's? I've read some good reviews about those too. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Takstar Pro 80 are the closed back version of Hi-2050. Pro 80s provide isolation while Hi-2050 don't. Takstar Hi-2050 should have the edge in terms of soundtage and frequency response linearity. Pro 80s are a bit easier to drive, but neither is difficult to drive. Pro80s provide more bass and Hi-2050s have the edge in terms of comfort thanks to the bigger velour-like earpads. You can always get HM5 pads to improve Pro80s comfort. Build quality is also very good. Both are very good headphones at their price point. I think Hi-2050 are better for classical, jazz and mostly for well recorded music, while Pro80s are better as an all rounder, being more forgiving and providing enough bass levels for modern music.

I haven't tried Srh-440, I've only tried Srh-240 and Srh-840. Some people complain about 440s comfort.

If you want a closed back headphone you could also consider Logitech UE6000 and Don Scorpio Dolphin both are quite praised here.

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #9 of 13
Do you know if the takstar pro 80 can be used for gaming?

Yes, of course, useful for gaming isn't a black or white thing. Some may find open back headphones more suitable for gaming due to the bigger soundstage, but you could still get an in game advantage using a good set of sealed headphones like Pro80s. Sometimes detail and soundstage accuracy is more important than soundstage width and height.

Jul 11, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #12 of 13
Both are very different headphones. I guess Pro80s have better bass but I've never tried HD518.

Closed Back headphones tend to provide more sub bass (20 to 60Hz) in comparison with open back headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back