help me choose??
Dec 27, 2012 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

enty123

New Head-Fier
Hi,
My first post here. Need some advice. I'm looking for headphones for <$300.
Mainly for home use in quiet environment. I want 'over the ear' and comfortable.
I listen to mainly classical, jazz, and rock.
I currently have Bose AE2 and senheiseser PXC-250 (the small noise cancelling ones).
I don't like the bose because of the fake bass sound. Aside from that i do like they're comfort. The sens are ok for travelling but they get annoying after a while for home listening. I am a musician and music fanatic (i can't afford anything over 300!).
I read some really good reviews of the Audio-Technica M50 but maybe i should look into open backed phones since i'll mostly be listening in a quiet environment.
Oh, and probably most important, i will be mainly listening to music through a phone or mp3 player, not AMP.
thanks in advance.

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 9
So many options, where to start. You can definitely narrow it down if you have an idea of what kind of sound signature you like (bright, dark, mid-centric, V-shaped) Each can I list can reach good potential being driven from a portable device or laptop. There's the Senn HD598, the Ultrasone HFI-2400, Beyer DT770 limited ediiton, Grado sr225i, Skullcandy Aviator, and the ATH-M50 which you've already looked into. I think the ATH-M50 would be a great choice if you find it for around $110, otherwise check out any of the aforementioned. 

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 9
i don't know what 'sound signiture' i want because i don't know what that means.
I want the music to sound like it was intended to. I don't like Grado because they are uncomfotable (i had a pair once and returned, they did sound nice). What's the general difference between closed back and open back? Thanks

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
i don't know what 'sound signiture' i want because i don't know what that means.
I want the music to sound like it was intended to. I don't like Grado because they are uncomfotable (i had a pair once and returned, they did sound nice). What's the general difference between closed back and open back? Thanks

open back means that the drivers are exposed to the outside air, being protected by damping material and wiremesh, (or some sort of grill) generally gives a more refined, spacious sound. not having all the sound crammed into your head at the cost of isolation and bass slam (many exceptions apply)

closed back is the standard solid earcup, the driver is seperated from the air outside, generally can give better bass slam and isolation at the cost of soundstage and general sound quality (many exceptions apply)

hmm what do you think of the sound of the grados in general? did you like them? or did they have too much treble for you?

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for quick reply. It was a long time ago, like 10 years, when i tried the grados. I thought they sounded great, but really uncomfortable after about 30 minutes of wearing. i think it was the SR60 or 80.
Any advice, there are just soo many to choose from? What about Ultrasone? I never even heard of them.
I think i might want the open backed.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Thanks for quick reply. It was a long time ago, like 10 years, when i tried the grados. I thought they sounded great, but really uncomfortable after about 30 minutes of wearing. i think it was the SR60 or 80.
Any advice, there are just soo many to choose from? What about Ultrasone? I never even heard of them.
I think i might want the open backed.

well only things certain about the open/closed back properties is the level of isolation, open having a little to no isolation and closed backs having decent to great isolation. soundstage cannot really be justified purely on the earcup design, since it varies greatly from model to model.

i haven't heard any ultarasones before so i can't comment about that.
what's your budget too?

also the grado's headband can be bent so that it doesn't clamp on your head so hard

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 9
I think i would just go ahead and suggest the HD598 since you included classical and jazz, it should do rock okay too, its one of the most comfortable headphones around i believe. does not really need amping but an amp would be a bonus.

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 9
i took your advice. Just got them tonight. So far i like. They are at least much better than my Bose and noise cancelling Sens, but i'll need more time to sit with them.
One thing that really annoys me, and is not related to the headphones is the low output from my droid phone. If i turn it all the way up, it is loud enough, but it should not be that way. Good listening volume should not be all the way up! I think this is a known problem with these motorola phones. I tried the headphones through an Amp and it was plenty of power, and sounded like more low end was there.
Thanks again, i just wish i had some more 'good' headphones to compare with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back