help me choose - THX multimedia speakers
Mar 17, 2004 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

emmpeethree

100+ Head-Fier
i picked up a pair of klipsch promedia 4.1's for 200 CDN since they are on clearance (about 150 USD) and am quite impressed with their sound.

although the sub is powerful, its nothing compared to the one that comes with the logitech 560's, but there is more highend with the horn tweeter

its interesting that the logitechs cost exactly the same as the klipsch right now... i never thought i'd see that happen!

anyways, i was reading some reviews on them, always positive, but i'm just thinking, for another 70 bucks CDN (50 USD) i can get the creative 550's.

i'm going to be hooking them up to a turtle beach santa cruise and am not sure which will suit me better.

it'll be used for music and movies, not really gaming.

i'd like to have great sounding music. espescially for classic rock stuff like pink floyd but also some pounding bass for my trance.

basically, the race im thinking right now is between the promedias and the 550's... i dont really care about the price, its insignificant and i wouldn't mind having another channel.

would the creatives better suit my needs?

from what i can tell, the logitechs are played up becasue of the price, but since they are all within 50 dollars of each other for me, that isn't a factor.

FYI i based my reviews completely on 3dsoundsurge

http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/reviews/Z560/Z560.html

http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/reviews/...10D/index.html

http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/reviews/...roMedia41.html

Mar 17, 2004 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 17
Well if you are getting the promedia's make sure you switch out the cables. It does make a noticeable difference. And please don't use the solderless jacks (screw in type, even gold plated ones) because they suck. I just found out today when I decided to solder my cables to the jack. These monsters just came alive. This bass on the speakers go much lower then before with more punch and tighter. This highs are almost the same but reveals a lot more detail then before.

Mar 18, 2004 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 17
if i did that i woudlnt be able to return them though...

i've still got aweek to decide ...

bascically i want to know: for music (primary) and movies (secondary), which sounds the best?

Mar 19, 2004 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 17
bump?

Mar 19, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 17
I don't think too many people have heard the 550. If you like the klipsch, keep it. I've heard that the 550 is even brighter, but smoother and more detailed. If you think the klipsches are already too bright, might be better to stick with them or get the logitechs.

Mar 19, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 17
The Creative have the best sats,the most refined and musical.The Klipsch has the best sub.Its true for both old and new generation of MM speakers :550 vs promedia,Gigaworks vs Promedia Ultra.Logitech z580 has lots of power and speed but the SQ is not on par with any set mentioned above.

Mar 20, 2004 at 6:46 AM Post #7 of 17
i own the promedia 5.1 ultras and the 4.1s, and i have a good friend who owns the 550s. there is no comparisson really... both of us agree the klipsch ultra set sounds better. the 550s are nice and sound better than the 4.1s, but the klipsch ultras just have a full sound and seamless integration between the sats and sub.

make no mistake, the cables that come with the ultras are trash, and really ruin the sound, make sure you get some good 16 guague wire with some decent connectors(gold preferable)... after a few weeks of break in, the sound stage opens up and the highs mellow out. fantastic all around.

Mar 20, 2004 at 8:20 AM Post #8 of 17
yeah but Ultras are new and should be compared to Gigaworks S700 wich is 550's successor.Gigaworks have more powerful and tight subwoofer,wich goes lower with less distortion(tho the ultra's sub is still clearly better) and the sats with tweeters wich 550s didnt have - excellent sharp highs.sats of gigas said to be a little better than ultra's.may be its the cables' fault,but how good the creative speakers' cables are?

Mar 21, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #10 of 17
The logitech sets should be the first to forget about. The subs are just plain boomy, the satellites lack any treble whatsoever and are very muddy, and they just sound bad for music. Good for games though (I own a set of 560's and regret it).

The Klipsch 4.1 has a more punchy sub than the 550's, but the 550's have a very smooth and non-harsh midrange and treble from the satellites.

I'd try auditioning both the 4.1's and the 550's and pick that way.

Mar 21, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 17
I second the statement(s) regarding the 560's boomy sub. I just plain cringe when I hear it. The frequency response is so bizzare. One bass note is blaring, the next is silent. They're boomy and fuzzy and I don't like them much at all. At least the PM4.1's have some tighter bass and go down to a decent frequency (I've gotten them down to 30, but certainly more audibly at 35). The only problem with the sub is the port turbulence, but then again that can be solved merely by listening at normal/safe volumes.

Mar 27, 2004 at 12:54 PM Post #13 of 17
these Videologic Siroccos are supposed to be great but way more expensive, of course...

image020.jpg

Mar 27, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #14 of 17
Bluesky's prodesk system is also expensive and another system you probably won't consider
very_evil_smiley.gif

040203_004.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back