Help me choose the right Grados
Aug 14, 2007 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

ghezbora

New Head-Fier
I need a second set of headphones to keep at school.

Constraints:
  1. Must be open
  2. Reasonably small is important, it needs to fit in my locker and allow space for books
  3. Does NOT need to be rugged enough to survive backpack transport, it will stay at school
  4. Not more than $300 without a good reason

My source is my Macbook Pro -> either a Corda Move or a iBasso D1 which I'll be getting soon (once people here review the latter
biggrin.gif
). I currently listen to HD-580s at home, and they'll be staying here.

I listen mainly to gothic metal (think Evanescence, but less emo) and electronic dance music, so I'm looking mainly at the Grado line, though I'm open to other suggestions. I'm not a basshead. I live for smooth, clear, female vocals. It's basically why I listen to gothic metal most of the time. Having not heard any other 'phones in the same league as the 580s, I can't really describe what I like in a headphone: for example, I have no idea what "soundstage" sounds like. That's part of why I want to try something different.

So I'm looking mainly at the SR225, SR325i, MS1, or MS2i. I know the SR/MS debate is endless, but I can't figure out from the threads on the topic which one I'd prefer. Is it a waste to get the higher models with that source equipment? Should I do it anyway because they'll last until I upgrade the source too?

Or should I just shut up and buy one because they're all good?

Aug 14, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghezbora /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need a second set of headphones to keep at school.

Constraints:
  1. Must be open
  2. Reasonably small is important, it needs to fit in my locker and allow space for books
  3. Does NOT need to be rugged enough to survive backpack transport, it will stay at school
  4. Not more than $300 without a good reason

My source is my Macbook Pro -> either a Corda Move or a iBasso D1 which I'll be getting soon (once people here review the latter
biggrin.gif
). I currently listen to HD-580s at home, and they'll be staying here.

New MS2 for $299 shipped.

Aug 14, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 38
I would personally stay away from the SR325i--it was far too shrill for me when I auditioned it. I actually much preferred the SR225s to them. That being said, I liked the MS2is the most of all; the sound seemed smoother and more rounded. Of course, this signifies that I like a more Senn-like sound--the MS2i is on the Senn end of the continuum whereas the 325i is on the "stereotypical Grado" end of the spectrum.

One important factor to consider besides sound signature is weight--the MS2is are considerably heavier than the 225s; just something to keep in mind. Ideally, you'd audition all the cans; but given the fact that you already have a Senn, I'd go for the 225s. They will definitely give you that foot-tapping, in-your-face sound that is so perfect for rock and metal.

Aug 14, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 38
I would say the SR225s or MS2i would be great. They would are great cans and I feel you will be happy with either or. I have the SR325i and with my HD150 it mellows out the brightness. I listen to metal and the bass and detail with the right amp for the SR325i's sound great IMHO. Good luck to you.

Aug 14, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #5 of 38
I would recommend trying to find a deal on an HF-1... they have survived walking around my school, and they look good enough to get occasional praise.

Aug 14, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 38
Shut up and get anyone ...
biggrin.gif
. I've never heard a Grado that i didn't liked.
The SR-225 seems to be a good choice.
Some even prefer it over the SR-325i. You could also spend a bit more on the source once it costs a lot less than the SR-325i or MS2i.
Also, the Grados sound well even unamped. You'll be surprised when you listen to them ...
rs1smile.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 38
For school use only? SR60's or SR80's. Even those are a bit pricey to leave around at school. Maybe some iGrado's or KSC75's.

What ever the case is, leaving expensive headphones lying around at school is just asking for theft.

Aug 14, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo
For school use only? SR60's or SR80's. Even those are a bit pricey to leave around at school. Maybe some iGrado's or KSC75's.

What ever the case is, leaving expensive headphones lying around at school is just asking for theft.

This is not a concern at my school. And they'll be in my locker when not in use.

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghezbora /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is not a concern at my school. And they'll be in my locker when not in use.

At your own risk, people still steal stuff out of lockers. It happened to my brother twice (and he kept his stuff locked up just fine).

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #10 of 38
k701s, size is whatevers you have hooks in your locker right =p

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shut up and get anyone ...
biggrin.gif
. I've never heard a Grado that i didn't liked.
The SR-225 seems to be a good choice.
Some even prefer it over the SR-325i. You could also spend a bit more on the source once it costs a lot less than the SR-325i or MS2i.
Also, the Grados sound well even unamped. You'll be surprised when you listen to them ...
rs1smile.gif

You will definitely be surprised how good they sound unamped. Like epaludo said, I haven't heard a Grado that I didn't like.

If you would just like to try one out the SR60s or SR80s can be had for good deals here in the FS forum or on Ebay.
rs1smile.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #12 of 38
Love my 225's!

Soundstage is overated unless you listen to a lot of music that was
recorded with soundstage information intact. Which is an extremely small
portion. Most music has been so over mixed and over produced that
soundstage is irrelevant.

I am constantly amazed and delighted how much I enjoy the SR225's.
They have a very detailed midrange which is perfect for female vocals.
They remind me of a really good pair of monitor speakers that have a
seamless crossover with excellent resolution and punchy bass response.

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #13 of 38
SR-60s.

Why, some may ask?

Because if you are going to leave them at school, it isn't a matter of if they are going to be stolen, it is a matter of when.

Losing a pair of SR-60s ($69) will not hurt nearly as much as losing a pair of say SR-225s or MS-2is (which would have been my personal suggestion if you weren't leaving them at school all the time).

So yeah, if you are willing to risk having an expensive pair of phones stolen, then I would suggest either the Alessandro MS-2is, a used pair of HF-1s (if you get really lucky) or the SR-225s, in that order. Otherwise, just snag a pair of SR-60s for a great (and affordable) pair of beater/leave at school headphones.

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #14 of 38
SR60 FTW

I was going to suggest an HF1, but limited edition audiophile gear REALLY deserves better treatment than to be left in a locker
blink.gif
blink.gif
They WILL get stolen.

Aug 15, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR60 FTW

I was going to suggest an HF1, but limited edition audiophile gear REALLY deserves better treatment than to be left in a locker
blink.gif
blink.gif
They WILL get stolen.

Stolen by me ...
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'd love to hear how does it sounds ...
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back