Help me choose the equipment for my HD650!
Jan 9, 2012 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Bynming

Head-Fier
Hello guys. So, I know very little in terms of audio equipment. I wish there was some kind of advice place so I could ask specific questions without making a thread. Anyway, getting those HD650's I never thought I would develop or renew my passion for music to this extent. Now I'm looking for a DAC and an AMP but I really don't know what I'm doing. I've been reading a lot but I don't know what all my options are.

Not long ago, someone suggested the Yulong D100 which I keep as a definite option as it combines both a DAC and an AMP, plus it has good reviews. It goes for around $450-500 which is a bit on the expensive side for me, but it's OK. I've also been looking at the Little Dot MKiii and I'm thinking I would like to try. However, now I have a few questions...

1- How much should I spend on a DAC to go with a $250 AMP and what are some good DACs that I could use paired with the Little Dot MKiii? I would like to put the DAC under the little dot too, so it's better if it looks decent =P.

2- How long do tubes generally last and how do I find replacements or compatible tubes? (Note: I tend to have my headphones on, a LOT. Sometimes I'll listen to music nearly all day while I'm writing a paper or something - I assume that could reduce the longevity of the tubes.)

3- Would it work / make sense to purchase a Little Dot MKiii and use it with my Auzentech Bravura sound card temporarily until I can find the money to get a DAC? (Note: This would imply that I would use the sound card's 6.3mm AMP'd jack -> Little Dot's RCA inputs.)

4- Are there other options around $400-600 (closer than $400 is good). Any kind of "brainstorming" would be good. I'll read about things that interest me!

5- Should I just go with the Yulong? =P

Sorry about all the questions, I'm just starting here and I would GREATLY appreciate any help. Thanks a lot!

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 4
Ah yes I looked at it, but my budget for the whole setup is about $500 (after shipping and everything) - so I was thinking about going with a relatively cheap DAC around $100-200 to go with the AMP if that's possible. Given the budget, would it be better to spend more on a DAC and an AMP or is it reasonable to spend more on the AMP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back