Help Me Choose SS Amp for HD800
Feb 13, 2013 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

NewMexiCat

100+ Head-Fier
I know you've seen this type of thread before, and believe me I have researched the hell out of previous posts on this subject which has helped me narrow my list, but I would like some help making my final decision on a solid state amp that fits the parameters of my search and synergizes best with the HD800.

First off, here is my situation:

I listen primarily to rock, power pop and acoustic, with an emphasis on female vocals.  I have the capability of going completely balanced in my setup as my source is the Oppo BDP-105, which has a true differential balanced output, and my HD800's are terminated with a 4-pin XLR Q cable.  I am extremely happy with the DAC section of the Oppo and feel that the BDP-105 is a great value.

Accordingly, my goal is to find an amp which is a great "bang for the buck" kindred spirit to the Oppo.  I would like to go balanced, but when I apply the "value" requirement, that limits my choices quite a bit.  I've narrowed things down to three possiblities:

1.  Schiit Mjolnir
2.  Violectric V181 (or V200, if the performance outweighs the balanced setup)
3.  Bryston BHA-1

I have no interest in extra features like pre-amp outputs, multiple inputs or a different variety of headphone jacks.  All I need is one input for my Oppo BDP-105 and one output for my HD800, with an amp section in between that passes through the HD800's clear, articulate and detailed presentation while possibly taking a little edge off the high end to combat ear fatigue.

Right now, I am leaning toward one of the Violectric amps based on several comments regarding their great synergy with the HD800.  However, I fear that if I go for the V181 (or V200) that I will sacrifice some of the detail and impactful presentation that many praise both the Mjolnir and BHA-1 for.

Advice from the learned Head-Fi community is very much appreciated!

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 5
Sub. Been thinking the same thing, Mojo was my first choice..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back